Emby does not start

revolvermann

Thank you for the Update and your efforts! By the way: in the mean time i tried emby theater for rpi - great work! the fire tv wirh emby app is still a bit faster, but i think it could be a nice way in the future with some more tweaks.

Tried it, apk works fine! Downloaded to fire tv, installed and is working.

Is there an option to set the app streaming to transcoding oder direct playing just linke in die Emby Kodi addon? It seems like it is trying to play my fhd video with high bitrates without any transcoding, so the internet connection is to slow. Any 720p content is working fine. If there is no option fpr thiss, i will start investigating and open another thread to keep this one clean.

Thank You!

Yes, there is a playback quality setting.  In the settings for the app, go to playback settings and choose a lower bitrate.

Question: is your installation in trial, a Premiere one, or had you previously purchased the app?

JerryPenguin

Hi.  We apologize but we do not know why the app has disappeared from the German store.  It is still available everywhere else, Amazon has not told us of any reason for a removal and they have not yet responded to our questions.

What we aren't sure of is if the app will run if side-loaded.  Please try the APK attached here (you'll need to unzip it) and let us know if it works.

Thanks.

@ebr:

Yeah, it's working.
Just download it to the AFTV and install it.

Thank you very much for your help.

I hope that you consider the distribution of the app via the AMAZON APP Store and don't depend on AMAZON, because in the past some multimedia APPs were simply deleted there, as well as the popular Perfect Player for IPTV.

MarcWinter

Hi.  We apologize but we do not know why the app has disappeared from the German store.  It is still available everywhere else, Amazon has not told us of any reason for a removal and they have not yet responded to our questions.

What we aren't sure of is if the app will run if side-loaded.  Please try the APK attached here (you'll need to unzip it) and let us know if it works.

Thanks.

@ebr:

Working fine here. Thanks.

For the others having Problems (due to the nature of the problem in german language):

--- Kurzanleitung für die Umsetzung des Workarounds von ebr ---

Der hier bereitgestellte Download ist die App, die normalerweise über den Amazon-Store bereitgestellt sein sollte. Um sie auf ein FireTV zu bringen, muss man ein sog. "Sideload" durchführen - d.h. das App-File von Hand auf das FireTV verfrachten. Es gibt reihenweise Wege, dies zu bewerkstelligen, um euch die Suche und das Experimentieren zu ersparen, möchte ich hier eine m.E. sehr einfache Variante beschreiben. Ihr benötigt einen Windows-PC im gleichen Netzwerk wie das betroffene FireTV. 

* Ladet euch die App "adbLink" hier herunter: https://www.giga.de/downloads/adblink-ehemals-adbfire/

* Bereitet das FireTV wie auf der Downloadseite beschrieben vor und startet adbLink

* Gebt die IP-Adresse des FireTVs im Feld Ad Hoc IP ein und drückt ENTER. Bei der ersten Verbindung zeigt das FireTV eine Sicherheitsabfrage, die ihr bestätigen müsst

* Nach einigen Sekunden erscheint in Connection Status "IP Connection"

* Klickt auf "Install APK" und wählt die in diesem Thread verlinkte App (app-amazon-release1.6.16) - WICHTIG: Vorher entpacken - d.h. nicht das ZIP File, sondern das enthaltene APK-File muss installiert werden.

* Unten rechts könnt ihr den Fortschritt beobachten (und das ist der Nachteil von adbLink - es dauert EWIG!). Nach Abschluss des Uploads zeigt das FireTV ein Popup, dass eine App installiert wurde und der PC bringt ein Nachrichtenfenster.

* Jetzt auf dem FireTV in den Bereich "Ihre Apps und Channels" wechseln und ganz nach rechts scrollen um "Alle Anzeigen" auswählen zu können.

* Emby befindet sich in der Liste ganze am Ende. Cursor darauf platzieren und die Menütaste drücken, dann die Option "Vorderseite" wählen. Seite mit Zurück verlassen.

* Im Hauptmenü befindet sich Emby jetzt im Bereich "Ihre Apps und Channels" ganz vorne links und ist gut erreichbar.

* Hinweis: Nach dem ersten Start erscheint auch ein Eintrag in "Aktuell", dieser liefert aber nur die Meldung "App nicht gefunden" und funktioniert weiterhin nicht. Daher den eben erzeugten Startknopf verwenden.

---

The text above contains a more or less detailed description of the steps required to get Emby sideloaded and working for non-pro users. 

• Like 2

filewalker

Yes, there is a playback quality setting.  In the settings for the app, go to playback settings and choose a lower bitrate.

Question: is your installation in trial, a Premiere one, or had you previously purchased the app?

Thank you, but i already had this set to low bitrate. i Started another Threat for this Problem.

install is premium subscription

For any of you who have side-loaded this - are any of you first time installers without Emby Premiere?

JerryPenguin

@ebr:

No, I'm having Lifetime Emby Premiere.
But after problems with starting EMBY on an AFTV I uninstalled the app and couldn't reinstall it via the German Amazon Store.
I also have contact with Amazon, because I paid the app via "in-app-purchase" (before I bought "Lifetime Emby Premiere").

MarcWinter

For any of you who have side-loaded this - are any of you first time installers without Emby Premiere?

I've got a premium account and am using it on two FTVs im my house. One primary device (in the living room) and a secondary im my son's room.

I usually launch emby via the top launchbar (named "Aktuell" in german, meaning something like "new", "current" or perhaps "recent"). Klicking this resulted suddenly in the "App not found"-Error everybody is talking about.

I tried a bit around and thought it would help to uninstall/reinstall emby, which wasn't possible as the app was gone from my cloud purchases and could not be found in the store either. So uninstalling it, removed it completely.

After sideloading, I can launch the app via "Your Apps and Channels" menu or - of course - via the "Installed Apps" menu in the settings. After a launch, I get a new emby button in the "Aktuell"-Section, but it has the same problem as before ("App not found"). Removing the shortcut from there and rebuilding it by launching the app manually doesn't change anything.

To double check your question, I used by sons ATV: there I get the same error when trying to launch via "Aktuell". When I change to "Your Apps and Channels" Menu, emby's still there and can be launched. The rest of the behavior with the shortcut is the same as with the sideloaded version.

So I'd suspect, the removal of the app in Amazon Store renders the shortcut defective, but has no effect on the app itself, if it's already installed. This seems to be true even more as the sideloaded app get only the emby logo as button, while the shortcut button shows the banner I'm used to (logo + text "emby").

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks.

Thanks @@ebr!

Side-loading the app worked perfectly. Even my lifetime subscription was detected immediately and playback works as expected.

Okay.  My concern still is that this is not going to work for someone who doesn't already have Premiere.

So, if a new German user could install the apk and let us know if it works properly in trial mode, that would be great.

Thanks.

MarcWinter

Okay.  My concern still is that this is not going to work for someone who doesn't already have Premiere.

So, if a new German user could install the apk and let us know if it works properly in trial mode, that would be great.

Thanks.

I just did a test: I disabled my emby Server on my homeserver, stopping it completely, then wiping the app cache + data on FTV.

I put the portable installation of the server on my notebook and set it up without using my account. After connecting the app via the assistant, entering the ip manually, everything works fine. The app also shows a running trial (for 2 weeks, I think, didn't pay too much attention to that detail).

Please let me know if you need further info.

-Marc

I just did a test: I disabled my emby Server on my homeserver, stopping it completely, then wiping the app cache + data on FTV.

I put the portable installation of the server on my notebook and set it up without using my account. After connecting the app via the assistant, entering the ip manually, everything works fine. The app also shows a running trial (for 2 weeks, I think, didn't pay too much attention to that detail).

Please let me know if you need further info.

-Marc

Thanks for that test.  What happens if you try to purchase the app unlock?

MarcWinter

Thanks for that test.  What happens if you try to purchase the app unlock?

I get to the screen with the three buttons "Sign me up for 6,49$/Month", "Unlock App" and "Recover unlock", but none of them shows any reaction whatsoever on clicking, only "cancel" is working and takes me back.

I get to the screen with the three buttons "Sign me up for 6,49$/Month", "Unlock App" and "Recover unlock", but none of them shows any reaction whatsoever on clicking, only "cancel" is working and takes me back.

Okay, well at least its doesn't crash. :)

Thanks.

RocketChef

Hi guys

I also have a problem and i hope you can help me.

I installed emby on my old fire TV in April 2018 and bought it over the amazon app store. ( not the premiere membership, i simply unlockt it for some €)

Now my old fire TV crashed. I bought the new one Fire TV 4k (The old box isnt available anymore...)

After connecting the device I found out that I cound't install the app via the amazon app store anymore. So i tried to sideload it and it worked pretty well.

The problem is that if I want to watch a movie I will get the screen where I can purchase the APP again... But if I try to unlock the app it will only tell me "billing service not available"

How can I get the app to work again?

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Hi guys

I also have a problem and i hope you can help me.

I installed emby on my old fire TV in April 2018 and bought it over the amazon app store. ( not the premiere membership, i simply unlockt it for some €)

Now my old fire TV crashed. I bought the new one Fire TV 4k (The old box isnt available anymore...)

After connecting the device I found out that I cound't install the app via the amazon app store anymore. So i tried to sideload it and it worked pretty well.

The problem is that if I want to watch a movie I will get the screen where I can purchase the APP again... But if I try to unlock the app it will only tell me "billing service not available"

How can I get the app to work again?

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Yes, this is going to be a problem on a new machine with the current situation.  On the same machine, it should work because the app saves the fact that you purchased it so it doesn't need the app store to verify it.  On a new machine, it needs the app store to verify.

Please understand this is due to nothing that we have done and Amazon is not telling us why the app is not in the German store anymore.

If you can PM me proof of purchase of the app via Amazon, I will send you a one-month Premiere key so that it will at least work for now.

Thanks.

Please understand this is due to nothing that we have done and Amazon is not telling us why the app is not in the German store anymore.

Do you think it would be worth if we - the customers - put some pressure on Amazon?

Wouldn't mind to complain to them.

• Like 1

heciruam

So I bought the app for example. If I ask for my money back will that come out of amazons pocket or will they charge you? I want to make sure the pressure is on amazon.

Edited by heciruam

So I bought the app for example. If I ask for my money back will that come out of amazons pocket or will they charge you? I want to make sure the pressure is on amazon.

They will take it away from us (and probably a fee that is 3x what we got from the sale on top of that).

• Like 1

heciruam

They will take it away from us (and probably a fee that is 3x what we got from the sale on top of that).

Ouch.

Then I won't do that.

• Like 1

heciruam

So I called them up and it seems like the support dude first thought I was talking about "emby for android" since that one is still available. I told him thats only for phones(I'm actually have no idea). I gave him the order nummer which showed him that the app existed but he also didn't know why regular emby app is gone. He also couldn't create a ticket since the app seems to be wiped out of the amazon system.

I told them that I already talked to the emby devs and that it's an amazon problem. He then offered me a refund, I refused and forced him to write to the people that would know why the app is gone or could put it back on the store. The poor guy had to write that all by hand, which took him like 15 minutes.^^

Apparently I will hear back via e-mail once this is processed.

For you other germans who would also like to complain, I would recommend to call the appstore support directly. It's under:

Mein Konto > Apps und Mehr > Appstore support - kundendienst > Digitale Inhalte und Services

Then pick:

Apps &Games (amazon appstore) > probleme beim installieren oder verwenden einer app > problem beim herunterladen/installieren einer app

Let's hope for the best. If the app doesn't make it back I'm going to try and refund the whole FireTV box :D

If that works out, I will go for a shield or finally build an htpc. Emby just needs to speed up the developement of Emby for linux. :)

Cheers

Edited by heciruam
  • Like 1

JerryPenguin
I also called AMAZON and declined a refund plus voucher.

I made it clear that I wanted the APP back in the store because it was one of the most important reasons to buy my AFTV 2017.

And as I have just seen, the APP is again available in the German AMAZON Store.

But in an older version: 1.6.15a

The directory overview doesn't work there either. Under the native Android APP, the web and on my LG TV it works fine. 

Thx @@All
  • Like 1

Yay!  Thanks folks for your efforts.

But in an older version: 1.6.15a

That is the correct released version.

• Like 1