Live TV not starting

stevehendo

stevehendo

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you would mind taking a look at a couple of logs for me.  I can't start a Live TV stream.  There is an error in the ServerWMC log, but it is a bit beyond me to understand what it means.  I've tried reinstalling ServerWMC and the plugin.  I also tried running ServerMWC as Admin to see if it was a permissions problem.  Any advice would be appreciated.

The Server is Win 7 and the client is Win 7 using Firefox.  Media Browser says "Status OK" for Live Tv and it updates the guide without any issues.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

ServerWMC.log

MediaBrowser.log

krustyreturns

Try giving 'everybody' read/write permissions on your 'recorded tv' folder on your e drive.

stevehendo

Thanks very much for your help - I don't exactly know why, but it is now working. 

"Everybody" already had full permissions on the folder.  I notice that the Media Center services ehSched and eh Recvr didn't have "Full Control" access, so I added that.  I'm guess that wouldn't really affect WMCServer though.

Oh well, it's working.  Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Edited by stevehendo

krustyreturns

Just FYI, that is exactly why it is working now.  Serverwmc uses those services to do live tv, so those two services need read/write access.  I noticed yesterday that they weren't enabled, but usually the easy way to fix that is enable 'everybody' full control.  My only confusion now is why you said everybody already had full control,  but as long as you have it working I am willing to live with the mystery :).

• 1 month later...
overClocked!

Just FYI, that is exactly why it is working now.  Serverwmc uses those services to do live tv, so those two services need read/write access.  I noticed yesterday that they weren't enabled, but usually the easy way to fix that is enable 'everybody' full control.  My only confusion now is why you said everybody already had full control,  but as long as you have it working I am willing to live with the mystery :).

So, To clarify...How can one provide a service access to a folder or network share? Is it done by granting permissions to the account the service runs as? For ehSched and ehRecvr, this would be the "Network Service" account.

I am always leery about granting access to the "Everyone" object, especially since Crypto-Locker hit the scene. I have seen it do baaaaaaad things. Can you imagine how upset I would be if 4TB of recorded TV and 8 TBs of ripped and compressed movies I have collected over the year suddenly got held for ransom due to lax security permissions on network shares? Scary thought.

krustyreturns

If you go into wmc and designate which folder or volume you want to the recorded tv folder it will set up the ehSched and ehRecvr access for you, that's why almost nobody has the problem the OP had.

To use mbs on a different system then serverwmc&wmc doesn't require 'everyone' have access to rec tv folder, it just requires that whatever account mbs is running under on the second machine be able to access the folder.