Low volume on HDHR recorded content

zarthan

On playback with the Fire TV app, the volume on any live or recorded content is very very low. I found a few posts that suggested changing the audio boost in the transcoding section to 1. I have done this but hasn't changed anything but I am also not doing any transcoding as far as I know (I don't know what emby does behind the scenes). This is the same stream that I would capture with MythTV and I could set my TV volume at a sane level and play Netflix or other online content and my Myth recordings without having to change the volume. Now I need to crank the volume way up to hear the Emby recordings and If I forget to turn it down when I switch to something else, I am deafened. Is there some setting I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...
sargenthp

I am getting low volume on everything with Emby on my FireTV as well. Is there a setting that I can turn it up? On the web it seems OK, but I have not tried using the web on the FireTV.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I am getting low volume on everything with Emby on my FireTV as well. Is there a setting that I can turn it up? On the web it seems OK, but I have not tried using the web on the FireTV.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

We'd have to look at all the specifics from an example but this almost has to be an issue at either the source or outbound audio equipment.

How to Report a Problem

zarthan

"but this almost has to be an issue at either the source or outbound audio equipment." Is not the case.

If I take that same file on the same TV through the same speakers and play it through VLC I get measurably more volume. If I play that same file through Kodi directly I get measurably more volume. (Measured through an app on phone). 

• Like 1

"but this almost has to be an issue at either the source or outbound audio equipment." Is not the case.

If I take that same file on the same TV through the same speakers and play it through VLC I get measurably more volume. If I play that same file through Kodi directly I get measurably more volume. (Measured through an app on phone). 

We'd have to look at all the specifics from an example but this almost has to be an issue at either the source or outbound audio equipment.

How to Report a Problem

zarthan

I gave up on Emby. With more than a dozen years with MythTV, it just isn't worth abandoning something that works extremely well and that I have a deeper understanding. Aside from the volume issue, there were just too many tiny things that were just annoying. Not because they were wrong or broken, but because they felt awkward to me after so many years with Myth. Keep up the good work 

sargenthp

So if the system is not really "erroring" out...  What is the logs going to tell you?  Volume level is lower in Emby vs. Plex, MythTV, NetFlix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon media, etc.  I did up my transcoding audio remix all the way up to the max of 3.  I hear some difference when I did that.

Edited by sargenthp

So if the system is not really "erroring" out...  What is the logs going to tell you?  Volume level is lower in Emby vs. Plex, MythTV, NetFlix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon media, etc.  I did up my transcoding audio remix all the way up to the max of 3.  I hear some difference when I did that.

It will tell us exactly how the item is playing.

The audio level difference could very well be related to exactly how the audio is being delivered.  For instance, bitstreamed DD is usually much louder than stereo delivered as AAC/PCM.  The outbound equipment can also have different levels or treatment of the different methods of audio delivery (there could be some sort of digital processing going on that affects it).

zarthan

@@Luke There isn't anything Emby does that is wrong. I was quite impressed in fact. I am sure I had looked at Emby quite some time ago and perhaps dismissed it because it was Windows only??? Linux has been my daily driver for the last 25 years and I was delighted to see Emby with support for so many platforms. In the end, it was mostly habit that got in the way. When you get used to something being in one way or performing in a particular manner, it is hard to change. 

sargenthp

OK.  Sent some logs up from my FireTV.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem. 
             Playing CBS - The Price Is Right.  Plus you will see other things playing before that.  But switch to another app such as MythTV (Volume increase levels are all at 0) and get my ears blown out.
  • The time you sent the log.
             10:19am Central
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time
             Parents

Hi.  We are bitstreaming Dolby Digital audio:

D/EventLogger(22146):   Renderer:1 [
D/EventLogger(22146):     Group:0, adaptive_supported=N/A [
D/EventLogger(22146):       [X] Track:0, id=1/129, mimeType=audio/ac3, channels=6, sample_rate=48000, supported=YES
D/EventLogger(22146):     ]
D/EventLogger(22146):   ]

In that instance, the app does not control the volume at all.  Also, any number of other factors could be coming into play such as your system, while accepting the bitstreamed audio, isn't actually outputting all of the channels.  Or some piece of external equipment is downmixing it (poorly).  Or something is applying some sort of digital processing effect with it.  etc.

What is the audio equipment involved here and how is everything connected?

Also, there should have been an ffmpeg log generated on the server for that playback session.  Can we please see that?

sargenthp

On this particular system...  FireTV via HDMI to a Yamaha HDTR-3063 receiver to the TV.  My other system is just FireTV directly to HDMI on the TV with audio jacks to a stereo system.

From /var/log/syslog:

Oct  9 10:26:14 plex emby-server[12224]:   configuration: --cc=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --arch=x86_64 --prefix=/home/embybuilder/Buildbot/x64/ffmpeg-x64/staging --pkg-config=pkg-config --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-vdpau --disable-xlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libzvbi --enable-version3 --disable-decoders --disable-encoders --enable-decoder=aac --enable-decoder=aac_fixed --enable-decoder=aac_latm --enable-decoder=ac3 --enable-decoder=ac3_fixed --enable-decoder=alac --enable-decoder=apng --enable-decoder=ass --enable-decoder=ayuv --enable-decoder=bmp --enable-decoder=dca --enable-decoder=dirac --enable-decoder=dvbsub --enable-decoder=dvdsub --enable-decoder=eac3 --enable-decoder=flac --enable-decoder=gif --enable-decoder=h264 --enable-decoder=hevc --enable-decoder=huffyuv --enable-decoder=mjpeg --enable-decoder=mlp --enable-decoder=mov_text --enable-decoder=mp3 --enable-decoder=mp3float --enable-decoder=mpeg4 --enable-decoder=opus --enable-decoder=pcm_alaw --enable-decoder=pcm_bluray --enable-decoder=pcm_dvd --enable-decoder=pcm_f16le --enable-decoder=pcm_f24le --enable-decoder=pcm_f32be --enable-decoder=pcm_f32le --enable-decoder=pcm_f64be --enable-decoder=pcm_f64le --enable-decoder=pcm_lxf --enable-decoder=pcm_mulaw --enable-decoder=pcm_s16be --enable-decoder=pcm_s16be_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s24be --enable-decoder=pcm_s24daud --enable-decoder=pcm_s24le --enable-decoder=pcm_s24le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s32be --enable-decoder=pcm_s32le --enable-decoder=pcm_s32le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s64be --enable-decoder=pcm_s64le --enable-decoder=pcm_s8 --enable-decoder=pcm_s8_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_u16be --enable-decoder=pcm_u16le --enable-decoder=pcm_u24be --enable-decoder=pcm_u24le --enable-decoder=pcm_u32be --enable-decoder=pcm_u32le --enable-decoder=pcm_u8 --enabl

Oct  9 10:26:30 plex emby-server[12224]:   configuration: --cc=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc --arch=x86_64 --prefix=/home/embybuilder/Buildbot/x64/ffmpeg-x64/staging --pkg-config=pkg-config --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-vdpau --disable-xlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libzvbi --enable-version3 --disable-decoders --disable-encoders --enable-decoder=aac --enable-decoder=aac_fixed --enable-decoder=aac_latm --enable-decoder=ac3 --enable-decoder=ac3_fixed --enable-decoder=alac --enable-decoder=apng --enable-decoder=ass --enable-decoder=ayuv --enable-decoder=bmp --enable-decoder=dca --enable-decoder=dirac --enable-decoder=dvbsub --enable-decoder=dvdsub --enable-decoder=eac3 --enable-decoder=flac --enable-decoder=gif --enable-decoder=h264 --enable-decoder=hevc --enable-decoder=huffyuv --enable-decoder=mjpeg --enable-decoder=mlp --enable-decoder=mov_text --enable-decoder=mp3 --enable-decoder=mp3float --enable-decoder=mpeg4 --enable-decoder=opus --enable-decoder=pcm_alaw --enable-decoder=pcm_bluray --enable-decoder=pcm_dvd --enable-decoder=pcm_f16le --enable-decoder=pcm_f24le --enable-decoder=pcm_f32be --enable-decoder=pcm_f32le --enable-decoder=pcm_f64be --enable-decoder=pcm_f64le --enable-decoder=pcm_lxf --enable-decoder=pcm_mulaw --enable-decoder=pcm_s16be --enable-decoder=pcm_s16be_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s24be --enable-decoder=pcm_s24daud --enable-decoder=pcm_s24le --enable-decoder=pcm_s24le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s32be --enable-decoder=pcm_s32le --enable-decoder=pcm_s32le_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_s64be --enable-decoder=pcm_s64le --enable-decoder=pcm_s8 --enable-decoder=pcm_s8_planar --enable-decoder=pcm_u16be --enable-decoder=pcm_u16le --enable-decoder=pcm_u24be --enable-decoder=pcm_u24le --enable-decoder=pcm_u32be --enable-decoder=pcm_u32le --enable-decoder=pcm_u8 --enabl

Yeah, we are stream copying the audio unaltered.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (mpeg2video (native) -> h264 (libx264))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

You said these were recordings, correct?  Is it the same with Live TV?

Also, the receiver has the speakers connected and is responsible for the audio or the TV speakers?

sargenthp

Interesting.  This example was Live TV and this system the receiver does drive the 5.1 speakers, and nothing from the TV for audio.  Now I do have "Allow hardware transcoding" check for each of my HDHomeRun devices.  Should they be?