Using app.emby or tv.emby with Synology DDNS

philby

So, I'd really really like to like Emby; this must be about my fifth or sixth time trying to.

But: as long as connecting to Emby over a Synology DDNS address is mindboggingly unreliable / completely random, Emby will never win against Plex. I'm not even thinking about the acrobatics needed to have a SSL-secured access to Emby running on my Synology, or the almost criminal carelessness of Emby standard security settings*.

I've tried unsuccessfully at least a dozen times to connect to Emby server running on my Synology box using Emby connect on the app.emby.media URL. It kept telling me about the server not being reachable – all the while I was connected to the same server, directly over the same Synology DDNS URL, in the next tab. At some point it did successfully connect, for no apparent reason whatsoever.

tv.emby.media never worked, just kept telling me either "login using emby connect" or that the server cannot be access – again, while I was logged into this very Emby instance directly over the Synology DDNS:8096 URL, and using app.emby.media.

I don't like where Plex seems to be going at all, but it really does work, 100% reliably, while using a lot less resources on my Syno box.

Does connecting to Emby using a Synology DDNS work reliably for everyone else here, or do you guys just enjoy tinkering with stuff?

1) leave the Admin user open and accessible to everybody on the whole internet with no password whatsoever as standard, until one creates another user

2) newly created user also is accessible without any password until one switches accounts and adds a password to this new user... thats just... I'm at a loss of words for what I think this is.

Hi.  If using your dynamic DNS url works well, then why not just use that?  All any of the other methods are is a way to do the exact same thing (find your server without knowing the IP address).

You do realize that Plex's method of "secure" access is going through them - meaning they see everything - correct?

EagleMitchell

I currently use NO-IP through my router to whatever crappy myservername.no-ip-rediculious-domain-name.com and have a subdomain of my own pointing as a CNAME record towards that.  I then have an SSL installed on my Synology in Emby that matches the CNAME subdomain that is being pointed at the the no-ip name and it works fantastic.

A few questions I have:

1. Are you port-forwarding correctly?

2. Are you trying to use 443 instead of the default SSL port suggested by Emby? Synology has a default built-in redirect to it's admin page at 443 so this conflicts with Emby unless you can turn that auto-redirect off.

EagleMitchell

Hi.  If using your dynamic DNS url works well, then why not just use that?  All any of the other methods are is a way to do the exact same thing (find your server without knowing the IP address).

You do realize that Plex's method of "secure" access is going through them - meaning they see everything - correct?

@@ebr Some people prefer others to handle their security for them regardless of cost I guess.

• 2 months later...

@@ebr Some people prefer others to handle their security for them regardless of cost I guess.

I know Plex has been doing some rather questionable moves re: privacy, and their investors' wishes to go more towards better monetization with online services, ads and subscription services like tidal are also quite apparent.

That's why I wonder: how much more does actually go through plex.tv as compared to the tv.emby.media URL we have to use for Emby Theatre?

Edited by philby