Gets slower

Glyde62

snootched

@@snootched

Just for the heck of it, can you disable debug logging in the add-on settings? Set it to info. Does it make a difference? I've been looking at your logs and there's really nothing that I see that's abnormal, everything seems slow in general between log lines, almost 1 second per function to run... That's just really slow.

Looks like a general slowness with the python interpreter. It took Kodi 5 seconds from the add-on giving the url to Kodi playing it. I do not understand why it would be so slow. Maybe it's something related to shield or storage used?

@@Angelblue05

Back now - just catching up.  I do have audio passthrough enabled.  Took a look here, I have the keepalive set for 1 minute on this.  I'm going to try to disable that for now, and see if anything is affected.  I have my addon logging back to info, and I'm on a fresh restart.  So things are working normally for the moment.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

snootched

@@Angelblue05

So tried again today with disabling the audio keepalive as stated above.  Looks like it's still an issue for me.  I am attaching the log here.  As I was looking through the log, and I see some issues around skinhelper threading, so I'm going to make sure I don't need anything around that and disable (I'll clear out any unnecessary services to rule out any other background python activities.)

Near the end of the log, I have turned on addon debug mode.  Around 16:53-54 you will see me trying to play Daily Show with Trevor Noah, as well as trying to access Emby Addon Settings.  Both of these activities were slow for me.  There are multiple warning events attempting to use invalid file handle at 16:54:5x

Cheers

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Which skin are you using? Can you try on Estuary to rule out skin issues? Restart Kodi after switching skin.

I see the attempted invalid handle. I will look into that, thank you.

Edited by Angelblue05

snootched

Which skin are you using? Can you try on Estuary to rule out skin issues? Restart Kodi after switching skin.

I see the attempted invalid handle. I will look into that, thank you.

I'm on default Estuary.  I had others installed to test out (Embruary, Titan, etc.) but have not been using them.  I have uninstalled those, and disabled the Skin Helper modules that were dependencies of those for now.  Kodi has been restarted, and so far so good.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents after having read the whole thread, could this be passthrough related? Since all you guys seem to be on Android Kodi Leia, I've checked kodi forum's lately and there's a lot of stuff going on with passthrough threads being opened up in the Android section.

Altough since I use direct play I don't seem to have any so far.

Also another long shot, have you tried refreshing your RJ-45 switch/router connections after a long period of transcoding? Or are you WiFi connected?

By refreshing I mean disconnect and switch ports with something else.

Have your tried direct playing to see if the issue persists?

Where do you have Kodi (thus emby for kodi) installed, internal (flash) storage or external (adopted) storage?

I wish I could help more but I dont use transcode, makes no sense to me since a Nvidia Shield is more than powerful and capable enough to direct play even 4k HEVC HDR!

No need to stress my server. If I may, you all should do the same at least when playing locally, it makes your Shields feel offended and your wallets crying.

Transcoding is for weaker client-machines, not an Nvidia Shield :wub:

Furthermore it saves you alot of hassles too.

I have 3 Shields direct playing at the same time, super snappy. Even if someone's navigating the server at the same time as well  ;)

Cheers

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

aenima99x

Just my 2 cents after having read the whole thread, could this be passthrough related? Since all you guys seem to be on Android Kodi Leia, I've checked kodi forum's lately and there's a lot of stuff going on with passthrough threads being opened up in the Android section.

Altough since I use direct play I don't seem to have any so far.

Also another long shot, have you tried refreshing your RJ-45 switch/router connections after a long period of transcoding? Or are you WiFi connected?

By refreshing I mean disconnect and switch ports with something else.

Have your tried direct playing to see if the issue persists?

Where do you have Kodi (thus emby for kodi) installed, internal (flash) storage or external (adopted) storage?

I wish I could help more but I dont use transcode, makes no sense to me since a Nvidia Shield is more than powerful and capable enough to direct play even 4k HEVC HDR!

No need to stress my server. If I may, you all should do the same at least when playing locally, it makes your Shields feel offended and your wallets crying.

Transcoding is for weaker client-machines, not an Nvidia Shield :wub:

Furthermore it saves you alot of hassles too.

I have 3 Shields direct playing at the same time, super snappy. Even if someone's navigating the server at the same time as well  ;)

Cheers

I want to jump in here and add my experience.

I've got 5 Chromeboxes running the latest nightly versions of Milhouse LE Leia builds,  1 one Fire TV pendant running the latest nightly Leia and a test Ubuntu 18.04 vm running the latest beta Leia.

Only the Fire TV box uses passthrough, the rest have it disabled.

All of my clients use DirectPlay, no transcoding here.

The majority of them have the Aura skin installed but a couple are using Estuary.

All of them have the issue with slow loading to start playback. It takes anywhere from 3-7 seconds to start. On some attempts the playback takes long enought to start that I have to stop it and try again. Reboots of the clients used to resolve the issue but now since 3.1.29a it happens immediately even after a reboot.

I will be able to grab logs later today.

AngelBlue let me know what I can do to help diagnose the issue.

Edited by aenima99x

Now I'm also hit from this bug. Playback tooks now nearly 30sec before it starts on my odroid c2 running Leia and last version 29.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

Edited by bgx

Angelblue05

Can you provide your kodi logs capturing this? I do not see this issue and I've already tested on my old firetvstick and it takes 3-4 seconds to start max.

Edited by Angelblue05

Will do so @@Angelblue05, but tomorrow. Too late today. Sorry.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

EDIT:

Here last part of kodi.log

Think there is the problem...

23:21:43.052 T:4088505952 NOTICE: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: plugin://plugin.video.emby.tvshows/60462/?dbid=1510&mode=play&id=60517&filename=Unsere.kleine.Farm.S05E13.Die.Reise.nach.Walnut.Grove.Teil.2.%287p%29.mkv

23:21:43.053 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Creating InputStream

23:21:43.108 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer

23:21:43.143 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256

23:21:43.143 T:2955694960 NOTICE: CVideoPlayerVideo::OpenStream - Creating codec: 173

23:21:43.154 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Creating video thread

23:21:43.155 T:2926957424 NOTICE: running thread: video_thread

23:21:43.155 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Opening stream: 1 source: 256

23:21:43.155 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Finding audio codec for: 86018

23:21:43.156 T:2955694960 NOTICE: CDVDAudioCodecFFmpeg::Open() Successful opened audio decoder aac

23:21:43.156 T:2955694960 NOTICE: Creating audio thread

23:21:43.156 T:3227513712 NOTICE: running thread: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process()

23:21:43.274 T:3227513712 NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86018, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

23:21:44.566 T:2926957424 NOTICE: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder - using V4L2 pts format: 64Bit

23:21:44.735 T:4088505952 NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 1280x720 @ 50.00 - Full Screen (25) (weight: 0.000)

23:21:44.735 T:4088505952 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: OnLostDisplay received

23:21:44.980 T:4088505952 NOTICE: VideoPlayer: OnResetDisplay received

23:21:46.893 T:3227513712 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.

23:21:46.894 T:3227513712 ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer

23:21:57.067 T:3227513712 NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled pts:0.000 clock:183.495

23:22:20.798 T:3084006256 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..

23:22:20.806 T:3084006256 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 00:00

Edited by bgx
  • Like 1

I want to jump in here and add my experience.

I've got 5 Chromeboxes running the latest nightly versions of Milhouse LE Leia builds,  1 one Fire TV pendant running the latest nightly Leia and a test Ubuntu 18.04 vm running the latest beta Leia.

Only the Fire TV box uses passthrough, the rest have it disabled.

All of my clients use DirectPlay, no transcoding here.

The majority of them have the Aura skin installed but a couple are using Estuary.

All of them have the issue with slow loading to start playback. It takes anywhere from 3-7 seconds to start. On some attempts the playback takes long enought to start that I have to stop it and try again. Reboots of the clients used to resolve the issue but now since 3.1.29a it happens immediately even after a reboot.

I will be able to grab logs later today.

AngelBlue let me know what I can do to help diagnose the issue.

That is super wierd actually then. It means directplay is not involved in the sorting out of the issue as I thought. I don't know if it can actually be related to the speed of the boxes itself (NVidia shield internal flash storage is hella fast). Saying it since you have chromebox.

1 - Have you tried tinkering with "change display refresh rate" to match vídeo? Have you set it to "always on", "on start/stop" or "off"?

You can set the timings to change the refresh rate if you choose the 2nd option.

2 - Also, does it happen with any codec you play?

3 - Was it happening prior to 3.1.0.8a version (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21888-emby-for-kodi/?p=617840) of the plugin?

4 - Have you resetted your library when you installed 3.1.0.8a?

5 - Was it happening on Krypton or you just tested 3.1.0.8a (and forward) versions on Leia builds?

@@Angelblue05 can it be Leia related? It's the only plausible difference I see from all the people reporting this vs my actual setup.

@@bgx and @@aenima99x could you both try reproducing this behavior on a Krypton 17.6 KODI?

My full detailed setup is as follows:

Server-side/ISP:

- Complete Cat 7 gigabit cable LAN

- Several gigabit Switches 

- 1000mbps/200mbps ISP (check my signature)

- Synology 1813+ NAS (24/7 on, all internal HDDs are set to hibernate after 30min inactivity and I'm also torrenting on external HDDs)

- Emby Server .NET Core Beta version 3.6.0.54

Library:

- 7000+ Movies (SD, Full HD, 4K, HDR, x264 and x265)

- 800+ TV Shows (same as above)

Client-side:

- 3 x NVidia Shield with Kodi installed on its internal storage.

- 3 x Kodi Krypton 17.6

- 3 x Bello 6 Skin (Krypton 17.6 mod)

- 3 x Emby for KODI 3.1.30a (all using direct play + artwork cached as well)

I'm not on Leia (android) yet, waiting a little more for both Leia RC 1 and also Bello 7 skin.

I can actually try to transcode in one of my clients to check if I have this slowness.

EDIT: Just tested transcode (addon default) and plays just fine here. Plays in 1-2 sec. And I have my HDDs set to hibernate in my server.

I cannot seem to reproduce this issue :ph34r: 

Edited by djhifi

Yeah, the problem is back. A little less extreme, but it still takes about 15 seconds to start something now (using add-on and via http).

Edited by markdj

Yeah, the problem is back. A little less extreme, but it still takes about 15 seconds to start something now (using add-on and via http).

Can you try and reproduce it on Kodi Kripton 17.6 environment, please?

Also if you could check/answer the steps I've outlined on post 62.

Just to rule out things and help @@Angelblue05

Thanks

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

lawrencecurtis

I can confirm that this is a Leia issue. I did a full reset and 4K takes roughly 2 seconds on Krypton and 10 on Leia. Sadly passthrough is terrible on android Kyrpton

Will install Leia again and do a clean install to 100% confirm but it seems like it’s kodi and not the addon

Have done a clean install on Leia now and it’s definitely kodi as it’s back to being slow to start movies

Edited by lawrencecurtis

The problem is also there with Krypton. My girlfriend is complaining again that it's super slow. I can verify. Nothing has been done, just a full reset, and Emby auto-updated. The bug starts after the system has been idle for quite a while, a reboot fixes it temporarily.

highonascii

I'm on Kodi 18 10-12-2018 nightly build on PC (i7-4790k, 32GB ram, gtx 970, 250GB ssd (win10 os and kodi) + 1TB hybrid drive (steam games, etc.)) and I do not see this slow down at all. If my main server is under heavy load I will get a 5 second delay if that at max.

So I a thinking it might be a network issue or a android issue, not so much a kodi or addon issue. Because why else wouldn't I be seeing it too when I did see it before it was fixed? Head scratcher...

I'm on Kodi 18 10-12-2018 nightly build on PC (i7-4790k, 32GB ram, gtx 970, 250GB ssd (win10 os and kodi) + 1TB hybrid drive (steam games, etc.)) and I do not see this slow down at all. If my main server is under heavy load I will get a 5 second delay if that at max.

So I a thinking it might be a network issue or a android issue, not so much a kodi or addon issue. Because why else wouldn't I be seeing it too when I did see it before it was fixed? Head scratcher...

I'm running Kodi on a RPi3 and Shield, so that might be the difference? Also, my network is 500/500Mbit so I don't think that's the problem. My PC is also not doing anything extreme to complicate things (same as before the bug really).

I can confirm that this is a Leia issue. I did a full reset and 4K takes roughly 2 seconds on Krypton and 10 on Leia. Sadly passthrough is terrible on android Kyrpton

Will install Leia again and do a clean install to 100% confirm but it seems like it’s kodi and not the addon

Have done a clean install on Leia now and it’s definitely kodi as it’s back to being slow to start movies

So as I said in post #62. Awesome information! Thanks for clarifying that. I couldnt tell since I'm not on Leia yet but I just tested here (see below).

Offtopic: Why would you say passthrough is terrible on Android Krypton? I see no issues whatsoever (or I'm missing them)

@@Angelblue05 at least we're getting somewhere. I've just tested Leia myself on one Shield and this issue (transcoding) is happening as well. Can't see anything in the logs though and as soon as I change to Krypton, the issue is gone.

I don't use transcoding as already stated but there you go.

@@markdj It's probably a stupid question but: You've got gigabit in your network (confirmed working?). Issues with cables are harder to pinpoint than one would assume. We tend to skip those and attribute issues to everything else.

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

lawrencecurtis

@@djhifi my tv is quite a low powered android device. When it comes to playing dts it needs to transcode it too Dolby (on device) and this causes 4K to be unwatchable on my device. On Leia it works without any issues

@@djhifi my tv is quite a low powered android device. When it comes to playing dts it needs to transcode it too Dolby (on device) and this causes 4K to be unwatchable on my device. On Leia it works without any issues

Ohhh, gotcha. I have 4k onkyo capable amplifiers and also a sound bar (on one of the Shields + TV) passing through on every single Nvidia Shield  so I don't have such issues but fair enough.

But then again, I also don't transcode in my server.

But to each it's own. That's a pain indeed.

But btw, I just didnt switch to leia yet because I'm waiting on a skin but I can't wait.

Edited by djhifi