Metadata not working properly in Mixed Content

tony@awtrey.com

tony@awtrey.com

I recently upgraded from 3.3.x.x to 3.5.3.0 under Debian Linux. I have had some custom video content that has simple filenames like '02-16.mkv' and Emby 3.3.x.x previously displayed the title as '02-16' and a thumbnail from the video which was exactly what I wanted. I set the libraries up as Mixed Content and I didn't have metadata fetching enabled for those libraries.

After upgrading to 3.5.3.0, all my mixed content libraries have decided I really wanted metadata after all. So now '02-16.mkv' has become 'My Bloody Valentine: University of London Union 16/02/1989' and has replaced my video thumbnail with an irrelevant image.

To verify the bug, I deleted the library and recreated a new library, explicitly disabled all metadata refresh and sources, but the metadata in that library continues to refresh incorrectly.

I have gone into the metadata manager and corrected the data, locked it and the library, then rescanned the libraries so I could get the original thumbnail images. The refresh process unlocks my locked videos/libraries and returns the incorrect information.

Is this a bug or a "feature". It would be a shame if I could never do a top-level metadata refresh without overwriting all my correct metadata and thumbnails with garbage. Simply providing me a minimum filename length for metadata matching would correct this problem as well, since most of my custom content is month-year filenames like '02-16.mkv'.

Tony

Hi, you should probably turn off internet metadata features for the library. The internet metadata provider search engines will almost always return something, so when we lookup a title of "02-16", that's what it ends up giving us.

tony@awtrey.com

Thanks for the reply, Luke. I deleted the library and recreated a new library, *explicitly disabled all metadata refresh and sources*, but the metadata in that library continues to refresh incorrectly. It appears to be a bug that appeared between 3.3 and 3.5.

I don't think there is a bug. If you have nfo files in your folders containing this information than that's where it would be coming from.

tony@awtrey.com

Ok, I deleted the nfo and jpg files in the library directory and that fixed my persistent metadata problem. I would have assumed if I did a "Scan Library" and selected "Refresh all metadata" that it would update the nfo files with the current settings. Oh well.

That said, I still can't get my 3.3.x.x functionality back. Now even when I deselect "Prefer embedded titles over filenames", I'm still getting the embedded title instead of the simple filename title as I had previously. Is this something else I'm missing?

Thanks again for the help!

Tony  

Ok, I deleted the nfo and jpg files in the library directory and that fixed my persistent metadata problem. I would have assumed if I did a "Scan Library" and selected "Refresh all metadata" that it would update the nfo files with the current settings.

If we did that, then we'd have mass complaints from other users that their locally stored metadata was being ignored. For this reason, local metadata always takes priority.

That said, I still can't get my 3.3.x.x functionality back. Now even when I deselect "Prefer embedded titles over filenames", I'm still getting the embedded title instead of the simple filename title as I had previously. Is this something else I'm missing?

Can you discuss an example?

tony@awtrey.com

Thanks! I understand the nfo functionality better now. Once I had updated Emby and it wrote the incorrect data into nfo files, it persisted until I deleted it, even when I edited the metadata in the metadata manager and locked the titles.

As for the other issue, I have DVDs that contain multiple sessions per disc. The embedded title (from Handbrake) is always the same for all sessions, like "PUBLISHER_NAME_DISC_1" or something equally useless. So I renamed each ripped session file based on the actual session name, like "01 Introduction to Blah.mkv". I create a library for that directory, turn off all the default metadata extractors (except Screen Grabber), deselect the "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" setting. After I verify no NFO files, I Scan Library, Replace all Metadata. All of the individual video sessions are still called "PUBLISHER_NAME_DISC_1" (the embedded title) instead of the filename.

I was able to get around the issue by editing the title in the Metadata Manager, locking the title, and deleting the NFO files. Now when I rescan, they are correct, but it requires those extra steps to avoid the embedded title.

Does that make sense?

Tony

Happy2Play

Setup new Mixed Content Library and disabled all downloader and image fetcher options except image grabber and enabled nfo.  "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" was disabled.  

5bae817b808b4_latest.jpg

5bae818ca9627_item.jpg

Only way I got embedded title is by enabling "Prefer embedded titles over filenames", deleting the nfo and Refresh all.

5bae83e641f0d_embedded.jpg

OS shouldn't matter with this but tested on Windows 3.5.3.0.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 4 months later...
kodithomson50

On this topic, is there a good "Filename Parser Function" that I can read up?  I am literally about to set my Couchpotato renamer to make filenames "TheMovieName (Year)[<video>-<quality>]-tt12345678<cd>.ext in order to try to have a file-attached piece of data which references the public metadata.  Basically so I can easily move the individual file (usually by script) to another location and have it processed properly.  But unfortunately when movies get transcribed and such, the Title, and Year, and other file-integrated metadata (tags/properties) often get stripped out.  Leaving only the filename as a semi-reliable reference (when the year gets parsed right, and the quality, etc).