Chromecast - Playback stop without any reason

pacoyoh

That sounds a lot like poor network performance.

Can you play these same items from a web browser on a PC?

pacoyoh

I can perfectly play on web browser (1gbit Ethernet), even if i try on a tablet in wireless, or on my phone on the web browser too.

And like i said, i am not the one with this problem, other people on other phone, on other chromecast, on other connection, on other server, have the same problem.

I have a cloud on my personal server, i can transfer file at 60/70mo/s, or 14/15 mo/s on my phone without any problem. 

And for the external server, i have already tested the connection during a full day, with absolutely zero octet drop. My connection is really good, i can give you some test.

And i repeat again, same people but with Iphone have zero issues (after more than 4 hours of try) too.

pacoyoh

And again the same file, on the same network, on the same phone, with the same chromecast, but with plex, 0 drop too.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I have a similar Problem when streaming on Chromecast. It may be a bitrate related problem, because it never happens when I watch a very low bitrate show (~700mbit, x265). On moderate to high bitrate shows, I get random playback stops, usually around every 10-30 minutes. However, the network-speed should be more than enough for the shows. I get around 20-30 mbit on my chromecast when I do a chromecast speedtest. The shows where it stops have a bitrate of around 2-4 mbit. But wireless is a tricky thing, so who knows if it may still be a local network problem. I don't have any issues with high-quality streams on youtube however.

On some occasions, playback continues after a few seconds (which would be ok), but most of the time, it completely stops, and i have to restart playback.

I attached a logfile. The last two freezes were at 9:24 and 9:37, which is the thime where a SocketException shows up in the log. 

At the moment I connected my Chromecast Ultra via cable. If the freezes stop this way, we might narrow the problem down to wireless lan issues. I'll report back after I tested it some more. Hope this info helps tracking down the problem.

PS: 

- Playback works fine in the browser or on mobile devices.

- I run emby on a ubuntu server (18.04) in a docker container behind a traefik proxy.

embyserver.txt

@@thynan can you try lowering the chromecast quality setting in the casting app and see if this helps? Based on your report, it sounds like it will. Thanks.