Treat multi-language movies (multiple files, multiple libraries) correctly and not as the "same movie"

Guest Normal

Guest Normal

Please read this first:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63058-new-problem-emby-displaying-wrong-currently-watching-movies/?p=623996

It would be nice that multi-language movies would NOT be threated as "the same movie" in Emby.

See my screenshot below.

When watching "Cars 2" in french, it also lists the german Cars 2 version which is in a different library.

Same with The Jungle Book which I have in 2 language versions in 2 different libraries.

Technically correct Emby would need to display only the movie which I am watching and not all movies whith that name.

BTW: Emby does the same strange behaviour when marking a movie as watched. When you have a movie multiple times in different languages in different libraries Emby marks them all as watched which is also wrong behaviour.

Note: when talking about "multi-language movies" I mean that I really have them in different files. Each movie, each language is a single file.

To make that clear

- \Videos\German\Cars 2\Cars 2.mkv // < library 1

- \Videos\French\Cars 2\Cars 2.mkv // < library 2

Watching Cars 2 from library 1, automatically displays that you are watching the Cars 2 from the other library.

This is wrong.

5ba2bc9b32f45_Unbenannt.jpg

Edited by Normal

Guest Normal

Watch data is based on moviedb/imdb id's. It is by design, this is what our users want.

Sure. But on the other site ... how do they want that? Why they want that Emby displays wrong data?

This needs to happen under the hood and the user using your GUI is not interested how this happens.

But technically you can differ between two files from two libraries. If you say you can't that, your code seems to be bad.

Selecting all entries from the database with that specific moviedb id is just bad design.

Correct design would be to select the correct database entry and not just everything.

As I said in the other thread I learned programming too many years ago. And this just sounds totally not logic to me what Emby is doing here to not select the correct file as being watched.

Emby should mark movies being watched by database entry id and not by moviedb id.

I would suggest merging them using our multi-version feature:

This would make "libraries" obsolet and is not solution.

Edited by Normal

We make it universal because that makes it easy to backup and restore the user data from one server to the next. Tying it to a library like you're suggesting would make that much more difficult.

Guest Normal

I am sorry for saying that. But for a software like Emby, which wants to be better than Plex and for which a user can actually pay, this is a must-have to differ between different movie entries.

It can't be difficult to just select the correct movie being watched or being marked as watched.

I am a 100% sure internally you have unique IDs for each movie in your database. You could easily use that. This would make absolutely noth ing more difficult later.

We are only talking about the data which tells Emby what movie is being watched and marked. And for that it's logic to use db id's and nothing else.

Example:

imagine a user on Facebook who's name is "Marc" changes his birth date. Emby's logic now says, that each and every account with that name would have that new date too.

In emby we are just not talking about a birth date but we are talking about the "Being watched" and "Watched" state.

Database ids are a cool thing and should be used.

Actually I wanted to buy Emby Premium Lifetime for our family. But with fundamental features like that missing, Premium is not worth it. And I'm sure other people think also like me.

Movie 1 with language X is not the same as Movie 2 with language Y.

Edited by Normal

Deathsquirrel

Just putting it gently but EVERYONE who submits a feature is sure that there are a multitude of people wanting the same thing.  I've submitted some features I was sure would be popular.  A few times I was even right ;)

You can address the duplication one of two ways:

1) Keep the files in the same library and name each file appropriately for the multiple movie version naming.  When you select a movie you can choose which version to play that way.

2) Keep the files in separate libraries and don't give all users rights to all versions.  It's unlikely that someone wants both the English and Spanish versions of a pixar movie when the only differences are the languages printed on the signs.  If it were verbal the language tracks would go in the same file.

Neither of those helps with watched status of course.

Guest Normal

In my opinion all this solutions aren't really solutions and make the nice library feature kind of obsolet.

The best approach would be what I've said: to work with that database entries correctly and use the database entry id and not the moviedb id.

Everything else is just totally non-sense.

Not sure why but sometimes I only think that the developers do not want to make improvements. And this is one. Everything else with restrictions, other libraries, moving to other directories etc is just non-sense and not what a media librarie is made for.

This solution would not hurt the user experience at all. In contrary: how it's now it hurts good user experience because wrong data is being marked as watched or being watched.

Emby is great and has much stuff Plex doesn't offer. But thinks like that are no goes in any way.

So what about an option (default off) to let the USER decice what he wants?

Like that everyone can set this options how he likes. Come one.... user experience is key and shouldn't be ignored!

Edited by Normal

Spaceboy

In my opinion all this solutions aren't really solutions and make the nice library feature kind of obsolet.

The best approach would be what I've said: to work with that database entries correctly and use the database entry id and not the moviedb id.

Everything else is just totally non-sense.

See my image above. The green line indicates me, I'm sure, that Emby already uses there some kind of unique database entry id otherwise it would not be possible to mark that progress indication exactly on that entry.

So why is it so difficult to also use that id to mark the correct movies as being watched and watched?

Not sure why but sometimes I only think that the developers do not want to make improvements. And this is one. Everything else with restrictions, other libraries, moving to other directories etc is just non-sense and not what a media librarie is made for.

This solution would not hurt the user experience at all. In contrary: how it's now it hurts good user experience because wrong data is being marked as watched or being watched.

Emby is great and has much stuff Plex doesn't offer. But thinks like that are no goes in any way.

So what about an option (default off) to let the USER decice what he wants?

Like that everyone can set this options how he likes. Come one.... user experience is key and shouldn't be ignored!

in your opinion. Other people, me included, have reasons why the current setup is better
  • Like 3

Guest Normal

in your opinion. Other people, me included, have reasons why the current setup is better 

So what about an option so everyone is happy?

Not only people using this forum are using Emby. There are a lot more using Emby and not being in this forum.

An option which is off by default would be the best solution in this case.

Guest Normal

I would suggest merging them using our multi-version feature:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming#multi-version-movies

If you don't want to do that, then you can hack it by removing the imdb/moviedb id from one of them, and then they will no longer be the same.

Which one I need to remove to get  the better the behaviour I want?

IMDb Id, TheMovieDb Id or TheTVDB Id ?

It's sad that you do not want to implement an option for this which would be off by default.