Scan library overload my DS214Play

smoal

Hi,

I am a new user of the emby server on a synology DS214 Play. When scanning the library or viewing a film, the synology become unusable, it is totally overload.

The resource monitoring shows that the disk are over 90% used, the CPU shows an Atte E/S over 50%.

The problem is that other software on synology do not work anymore... even using telnet is difficult !

you will find the rundiag log in attachment.

Regards,

smoal

Edited by smoal

Hi,

I finally catch the problem, it was due to 3 iso file in the library, If I remove these files and restart emby, all goes fine.

Here are snapshots describing the problem :

5ba351099805f_test.png

Add the iso files again (and remove them), I forced the library scan to stop, but it has no effect on the CPU load

5ba351d9af041_test1.png

So the problem is solved one my side. If you want me to make more test, tell me !

Hi again,

I spoke too quickly, I wanted to see a film (mkv), it blocks when loading the mdb info,  then my NAS was overloaded again (same as previous description)...

I have to restart my nas : it was impossible to access to the emby server webpage or NAS packages status... and I didn't find the shell command to stop the server.

I don't know what information you need, the link  how to report a problem doesn't give information for synology users...

solabc16

Hello @@smoal

You mention "you will find the rundiag log in attachment.", but it doesn't appear the file is attached.

Can you run the diagnostics and send logs utilities, details below:-

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

Hello,

You will find below my rundiag result.

I restarted the emby server this morning, I had an overload while scanning the library :

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_evansport_214play_20180924T075939UTC.tgz

I stopped the scan, then launched some film with good result until the emby server blocks on a film (I have only the film screenshot, and the rotating wheel), i cannot access to the server webpage or it is too slow :

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_evansport_214play_20180924T081703UTC.tgz

Thanks for your support.

The rundiag :

* This output is in the logs sent across, so have removed from the post. - James

Edited by solabc16

Yes, but it seems to be a process that emby server launches since the problem occurs only after launching it. A process like ffmpeg for example...

Hello @@smoal

What specifically did you run and was there a reason for not using Package Center's controls?

Best

- James

I must use telnet because the nas is so overload the package center's didn't show the package status (block in getting package status, for all packages). So i cannot stop the package this way.

I use the package embyserver stop command, then the status to check that the embyserver has stopped.

solabc16

Hello @@smoal

Look through the logs you uploaded, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong. How large is your library and has it successfully completed a full library scan?

I can see that FFprobe was running across all titles in your library, this would have kept CPU and IO high for an extended period (as shown in your graph).

Your system is capable of handling a remux, as we can see in ffmpeg-remux-983eddb1-041c-4bb5-be7d-7c60986f18fd.txt, which achieved around 45fps on average.

However, the transcode is out of reach, with the fps averaging less than one, you'll need to look at alternate options - preferably direct play.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
  Stream #0:3 (dvdsub) -> scale (graph 0)
  scale (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

There is one historical crash from the realtime monitor, but it's not happening frequently so I wouldn't suggest any further action at this point.

The library scan on it's first run will be intensive, and it'll need to be left to 'do its thing' - if this has run fully, then we'll need to understand why FFprobe is running through all of the titles in your library.

Best
- James
Edited by solabc16

Hello,

I have made some tests this morning, I reduce my film library to 3 films. The library scan finished in a few seconds in the emby server page dashboard.

But I still cannot play film and I had the same problem of overload (High Atte E/S)

Just the time to write this response, I saw that the Atte E/S in the resource monitor goes done suddenly, and then I can play the film without any problem. When I add a film to the library and make a rescan, I have the same effect, I must wait 2 or 3 minutes before being able to play the film.

So it seems that the scan is not finished in some way, or something is still running after the scan is finished in the dashboard. Perhaps the FFprobe process. 

For information, my library is very huge, with film of 10/20 GBytes

Is the scan information in the dashboard is sufficient to say that the scan is totally finished ?

I saw a topic about HW transcoding for synology DS214play, i will take a look.

Regards,

@smoal

Hi,  yes the dashboard can tell you if the scan is running or not. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Hi,

Nop, it did not help.... my question was :

'Am I sure that the scan is finished when the dashboard says it is ?' since I see a remaining process ffmpeg even when the scan is finished...

Br,

Servan

solabc16

Hello @@smoal

First thing, if you haven't already updated to 3.5.3, can you do that.

Then, can you run the send logs utility again.

Best

- James

Hello,

I change to the ffmpeg 0.0.0 for ds214play (topic a the top of the synology forum).

I also update the emby server to the last version.

I added some film to my library, it seems to be ok. But, after trying to watch a film, it begins to transcode this film (this process overload the cpu).

When switching to the transcode menu I saw a dialog saying that it was transcoding because of a bad subtitle format. It stops the trancoding process after switching to the trancode menu.

This is a log during the transcode :

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_evansport_214play_20181006T141301UTC.tgz

Br,

Smoal

Hello,

I change to the ffmpeg 0.0.0 for ds214play (topic a the top of the synology forum).

I also update the emby server to the last version.

I added some film to my library, it seems to be ok. But, after trying to watch a film, it begins to transcode this film (this process overload the cpu).

When switching to the transcode menu I saw a dialog saying that it was transcoding because of a bad subtitle format. It stops the trancoding process after switching to the trancode menu.

This is a log during the transcode :

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_evansport_214play_20181006T141301UTC.tgz

Br,

Smoal

Hi, what is the problem you are reporting? If it's transcoding due to unsupported subtitles then this is normal. Try disabling the subtitles.

The problem is that it takes 100% of the CPU when it transcode and in the meanwhile, the synology became unusable... it may takes days to transcode. With the new version, I can access to the transcode menu and indicate the "error", with the older version, it was simply not possible since the NAS wasn't replying.

If you don't want to support me, please tell me. It seems like I'm bothering you. 

I just want to use the Emby server on my nas because it seems to be a good alternative to other solutions...

Br,

smoal

If your NAS can't handle the subtitles then why turn them on? Why not add external .srt subtitles? These are always more efficient.

Hi,

Ok, test without subtitle, same problem. 

I give up with the emby server. My NAS is totally blocked and cannot even logon, with no possiblity to investigate the problem.

It seems you don't understand the point Luke : when I say the NAS is overload, It means I don't have even the possibility to go to the dashboard... even ssh doens't work correctly, the NAS is a blackbox...

I am a professional developper under .NET and don't like to be mistaken for a fool.

bye

solabc16
Hello @@smoal

I took a look at the latest set of logs you sent across, and the system is still having to perform software transcoding for some titles. (see below)

The CPU in the 'evansport' based systems doesn't have the raw horsepower and thus headroom for this, hence why it's running at an unyielding 100%

Example 1

2018-10-06 15:59:36.625
Application version: 3.5.3.0

EDITED: Title was a 1080p Bluray.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:2 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
  Stream #0:3 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

frame=  508 fps=2.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:21.38 bitrate=N/A speed=0.101x    
frame=  511 fps=2.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:21.52 bitrate=N/A speed=0.101x    
frame=  513 fps=2.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:21.52 bitrate=N/A speed=0.101x    
frame=  517 fps=2.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:21.69 bitrate=N/A speed=0.101x    
Example 2
2018-10-06 16:04:33.933
Application version: 3.5.3.0

EDITED: Title was a 1080p Bluray.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:2 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)
  Stream #0:3 (pgssub) -> scale (graph 0)
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> mp3 (libmp3lame))

frame= 1266 fps=2.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:05:10.94 bitrate=N/A speed=0.71x    
frame= 1268 fps=2.8 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:05:11.04 bitrate=N/A speed=0.697x    
frame= 1268 fps=2.8 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:05:11.04 bitrate=N/A speed=0.689x    
frame= 1268 fps=2.8 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:05:11.04 bitrate=N/A speed=0.686x    

Best

- James
Edited by solabc16

Hi @@solabc16,

Thanks for your feedback, the problem is I don't know why Emby is transcoding the video. I don't have any information from the emby server since it is totally blocked when processing.

By chance, I saw in the transcoding menu a message concerning the subtitles, but after removing them, I still have the problem. 

Is there a way to know why my video is transcoded ?

(Please, can you remove the "path" from my log... )

Regards,

smoal

solabc16

Hello @smoal

You'll notice in your server logs the following entries:-

2018-10-06 15:59:35.112 Info App: Not eligible for DirectPlay due to unsupported subtitles
    2018-10-06 15:59:35.112 Info App: Not eligible for DirectStream due to unsupported subtitles

If you look at the titles I referenced above (before removing them) in the Web UI, take a look towards the bottom of the page at the 'Media Info'.

Take a look at the subtitles listed and note if any of them are set 'default' and their associated codec. If possible, please post a screenshot here.

Best

- James