Scheduled Recordings Images

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I am not sure if anything about this has already been posted so forgive me if I missed it somewhere.

Where does Emby pull the images for TV Scheduled recordings? 

I ask because some of them are off from what season is actually being recorded. For example: Elementary is recording Season 6, yet the thumb for that Upcoming Recording is showing as Season 1, as is the same with Better Call Saul where the thumb says Season 1 but the show is recording a Season 4 episode.

post-106-0-78237600-1537144882_thumb.jpg

Same goes for Wynonna Earp and Bull. 

post-106-0-91422700-1537144983_thumb.jpg

It would look a lot nicer with the correct images so I wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not. 

All the images are from the Schedules Direct feed. They just need to prioritize which image they grab... it appears they may just grab the first image in the list of images and call that good.

In EPG123, I have an order of preference for the series images.

1. "banner" - source-provided image, usually shows cast ensemble with source-provided test
  2. "banner-l1" - same as #1
  3. "banner-l1t" - undocumented
  4. "banner-l2" - source-provided image with plain text
  5. "banner-lo" - banner with logo only
  6. "logo" - official logo for program, sports organization, sports conference, or TV station
  7. "banner-l3" - stock photo image with plain text
  8. "iconic" - representative series/season/episode image, no text
  9. "staple" - intended to cover programs which do not have a unique banner image

The one I don't prioritize is "banner-lot" which is the banner with logo only plus text indicating season number. I disregard it for the same reason you see in your guide ... it just ain't right. There are other, but the above is all I will look for in a series image.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks for your response. That would explain what is happening.

Will epg123 work in conjunction with Emby Live TV? I have only ever used it to reset the number of lineups I had from Schedules Direct (thanks for that by the way!). 

While I dislike having to piece together yet another 3rd party app to have my Emby setup look and work better (I have to use MCEBuddy to remux recordings to mkv so commerical skipping is faster on the Shield device) I will do it with the hopes that your description above is what is going on and that @@Luke will change how he has it currently setup to pull the images.

You can use EPG123 to create an XMLTV file for import into emby. This is actually how I am operating at the moment. Though the series image may be correct, it looks like emby also pulls the wide image which I don't currently supply in the XMLTV file.

I looked at the emby code, and it looks like their image priority is solely based on image aspect ratios and whether it has text or not. I believe they pull the 2x3, 4x3, and 16x9 images for displaying in all the various pages.

@Luke: if I supply those 3 images sizes in the XMLTV file, instead of just the 4x3 or 2x3 image, could emby import and all 3 for use? The XMLTV allows multiple icon entries for the programme and each will have the height and width of the image to satisfy aspect ratios.

All the images are from the Schedules Direct feed. They just need to prioritize which image they grab... it appears they may just grab the first image in the list of images and call that good.

In EPG123, I have an order of preference for the series images.

1. "banner" - source-provided image, usually shows cast ensemble with source-provided test
  2. "banner-l1" - same as #1
  3. "banner-l1t" - undocumented
  4. "banner-l2" - source-provided image with plain text
  5. "banner-lo" - banner with logo only
  6. "logo" - official logo for program, sports organization, sports conference, or TV station
  7. "banner-l3" - stock photo image with plain text
  8. "iconic" - representative series/season/episode image, no text
  9. "staple" - intended to cover programs which do not have a unique banner image

The one I don't prioritize is "banner-lot" which is the banner with logo only plus text indicating season number. I disregard it for the same reason you see in your guide ... it just ain't right. There are other, but the above is all I will look for in a series image.

Do you know which one would be a series thumb that is similar but without the season number?

Do you know which one would be a series thumb that is similar but without the season number?

None of the above contain the series number. The order I listed is basically my selection preferences... if I don't have a #1, I'll use a #2 and so on. The least preferred, but usable, is the "staple".

EDIT: to actually answer your question... numbers 1 - 5 will be closest. They will more than likely be the same image, just without the season text.

Edited by garyan2

Here is an example for Wynonna Earp. From left to right:

1. Banner-L1T, 16x9

2. Banner-L1, 16x9

3. Banner-L1, 4x3

5b9f2c2f16b37_wynonna.png

Based on this exercise, it looks like I will be removing #3 from my preferred images.

EDIT: The images are distorted because they were "fit" into a 3x2 aspect ratio.

Edited by garyan2
  • Like 1