Things with Emby DVR& LiveTV Needing Work.. Or Is It Just Me?

Sammy

All of those types of improvements are in our plans.  It will just take us a bit of time.

We decided to make recording "one click" with default settings because that's what most people will need.  We still need to build a way for you to edit the defaults and that is on our list too.

Thanks.

• Like 2

That's one thing WMC did the Emby doesn't..

It'll search for things and remember the search even if the show isn't in the epg yet.. Like Survivor. I had to wait until just recently to schedule it even though I knew it was coming up.

• Speed of loading guide. One gets greeted with a spinner for 30 seconds or more sometimes
  • Speed of loading Program Information in the Guide

I think you will find these two things much improved with the next release of the server. Thanks.

• Like 1

GreenAndPrickly

All of those types of improvements are in our plans.  It will just take us a bit of time.

We decided to make recording "one click" with default settings because that's what most people will need.  We still need to build a way for you to edit the defaults and that is on our list too.

Thanks.

The settings are all in the Web version of the grid guide, but alas, not in the Roku version. Of course, we prefer to do the scheduling while at the TV, not while at a computer.  

However, we also frequently want to start watching a program (from the beginning) that started recording 20 minutes ago. Not interested in waiting 40 minutes for the recording to complete. Discovered yesterday that the only way to do that is have NPVR do the recording, and watch it in the Roku Emby app.  That works, except if we exit watching, it forgets where we stopped watching.  Frustrating. 

Lots we can do with Emby on the Roku, but spouse just doesn't want to deal with all these complications when it was all so easy with WMC, For some things, the limiter isn't Emby. Roku just doesn't have the control capabilities a computer app has.  Fine for Netflix and Amazon apps.  For Emby, not so much.  

I believe if you start watching from the guide or from the channels page instead of from the Recorded TV item page you can start from the beginning but may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GreenAndPrickly

That's one thing WMC did the Emby doesn't..

It'll search for things and remember the search even if the show isn't in the epg yet.. Like Survivor. I had to wait until just recently to schedule it even though I knew it was coming up.

I find Netflix and Amazon (we subscribe to both) annoying when they advertise something "coming soon" and you have no way to add it to your watch list.  When it comes you have forgotten about it. 

I didn't know about the WMC search.  Learn something new every day.

Sammy, a couple of tips from our TeamViewer session earlier in the week.

You system seems sluggish just hitting it with a We browser.  I would certainly try moving the directory Emby uses for it's database and meta-data and put that on a FAST SSD drive.  This can make a world of difference.

Second thing I think I mentioned is to setup the DVR to record local vs to a network location.  Less chance of something going wrong that can muck up your recordings.  It also removes some network bandwidth if you are playing back something live or while it's recording.  Think about this.  To view something live, right now it goes from the HDHomeRun through you network to the you Server, then to your NAS via the network then back to the server through the network then to the client through the network.

Just store the recordings locally then when we get MCEBuddy setup to cut commercials we can place the converted files in their proper place on the NAS.

Same as with the database and meta-data put your transcode directory on the SSD as well.

These types of changes can make a slow system suddenly feel very crisp and fast.

Carlo

• Like 1

Sammy, a couple of tips from our TeamViewer session earlier in the week.

You system seems sluggish just hitting it with a We browser.  I would certainly try moving the directory Emby uses for it's database and meta-data and put that on a FAST SSD drive.  This can make a world of difference.

Second thing I think I mentioned is to setup the DVR to record local vs to a network location.  Less chance of something going wrong that can muck up your recordings.  It also removes some network bandwidth if you are playing back something live or while it's recording.  Think about this.  To view something live, right now it goes from the HDHomeRun through you network to the you Server, then to your NAS via the network then back to the server through the network then to the client through the network.

Just store the recordings locally then when we get MCEBuddy setup to cut commercials we can place the converted files in their proper place on the NAS.

Same as with the database and meta-data put your transcode directory on the SSD as well.

These types of changes can make a slow system suddenly feel very crisp and fast.

Carlo

Good points. I actually have a spare Samsung 840 Pro 240Gb lying around, brand new and unused. Maybe I should put all me Emby (and Plex) Data on it and record to it but how many cycles will that drive take before it begins to fail? Should I keep these in two places? I mean have a scheduled task to copy the data directories to another drive every day so that I have a back up? Heck I should have a back up anyhow, huh? 

BTW, I'll be in touch soon about finishing the guide set up and thank you!

I've got two 1 TB Samsung Pro SSD in my server. I use them for the DBs, meta-data, transcoding and recording.

They've been in constant use for 4 years (give or take) with no signs of slowing down.

Best investment I ever made for speeding up my system.

Yes by all means install that 240 GB Pro drive in there and setup Emby to use it.  Forget about Plex for now. :)

Wait till you see how much faster and crisper the system feels!

With a smaller size drive you can forgo the recording to SSD but record locally vs recording to a network drive if at all possible.

I know you like sports like me and OTA sports can suck up a lot of space.  I used about 200 GB just for NFL games I recorded yesterday before removing commercials and converting to H.265 files on my system which now require roughly 15 GB of storage.

Yep, just let me know when you're ready to continue.

• Like 1

SiliconDust has fixed their playback issues within Plex it would seem.

Plex displays EIA subtitles now in recordings at least. Emby does not.

Plex has a pretty good implementation of ComSkip built in too.

Emby has the grid Guide and excepts more than on linup and supports multiple lineups including m3u linups

Can we get the rest?

Thanks!

Edited by Sammy

Plex just uses the normal comskip program after the recording is finished.  Nothing you can't do in Emby using the post processing feature and once setup works exactly the same.

Or you do what a lot of Windows users do and setup MCEBuddy to monitor your recording folder and use that to cut commercials plus a whole lot more.

• Like 1

davedick

My only issue with the DVR is:

1)  Time to display the grid version of the channel guide.  Some times it was quick and some times it seemed to take 30 seconds.  I saw the comment about the newest version of the server is supposed to help with this, so I'll have to try it (I'm using a XB1)

2)  The normal Play, Stop, rewind, FF, record buttons.  That being said, when I look at the XB1 remote, I noticed it doesn't have these types of buttons, so I would assume this probably isn't an option  

3)  The ability to page up and down in the grid channel guide in Emby Theater.  I noticed page up/down works on the "Channels" portion.  

Is there any piece of hardware that allows for paging up/down in the grid channel guide, using a remote?

• Like 1

Is there any piece of hardware that allows for paging up/down in the grid channel guide, using a remote?

Not sure if you are asking about something you'd use with your Xbox or a different device altogether but both the Android TV/Fire TV and Roku apps allow you to page through the guide using FF/Rew buttons.

unisoft

Copying the way windows media center has defaults on recording options, series handling, and priority would be good.

Also WMC was always rubbish with back to back programmes being recorded on the same channel. It would end the first however many minutes you start a recording earlier for the following programme unless you set an option to add 10 minutes extra recording time on the first programme. Was a right pain as you had to be constantly aware with series set to auto record and any new series or one off records. Microsoft never fixed this. It also couldn't handle multiple channels on a multiplex and being able to record a number of different channels and still only use one tuner for it. It used a tuner per channel.

Schedules direct non known for coping with schedule changes like a running late schedule because of extended news. Be good if you could have an option on any programme in the EPG to add XX minutes to its defined recording, like a live change to add extra minutes. If EPG said prog finished at 22:00 but broadcaster running 11 minutes late, could be an option to add 10 mins to it's already defined default padding used when recording first started. If that default was always 5 minutes say, then this extended time would now be 10+5=15 mins extra...

Edited by unisoft

Also WMC was always rubbish with back to back programmes being recorded on the same channel. It would end the first however many minutes you start a recording earlier for the following programme unless you set an option to add 10 minutes extra recording time on the first programme. Was a right pain as you had to be constantly aware with series set to auto record and any new series or one off records. Microsoft never fixed this. It also couldn't handle multiple channels on a multiplex and being able to record a number of different channels and still only use one tuner for it. It used a tuner per channel.

Emby already handles these situations.

Doesn't tuning programs always require multiple tuners? Isn't that why things such as the Prime and Quatro are made by Silicon Dust? [emoji1781]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GreenAndPrickly
The transcoding temp file situation is a serious Emby blemish that should be solved. 

It has taken me some time using Emby to pinpoint this problem. After using Emby only a few days I realized that the HDD was thrashing itself to death. The frantic drive activity literally overpowered the server to the point I couldn't even break in to discover what was happening. After some study with the resource monitor, it became clear that the issue was an average queue length in excess of ten!  (An average queue length greater than three is considered a bottleneck in normal system analysis. Ten is ridiculously out of control.)

With that fact in mind, it was obvious that running Emby on a machine having a single HDD is a hopeless task. (I note here that I wasn't doing all that much. Recording one channel while watching another live on Roku.) 

I reinstalled the whole setup on a different machine.  This second machine is a tower with several assorted HDDs plus a Micron model 1100 SSD dedicated to the operating system. This new installation now consists of NPVR set up as the DVR, using SD for a guide. Although the grid is not as attractive as Emby's grid, it is orders of magnitude faster than Emby's guide. Emby is installed to provide live TV and the NPVR add-in is included.  

This has been working fine for a few days. The queue length on the SSD never exceeds 1, and averages something like .01 for the obvious reason it has no arm to wait for. NPVR's recording folder was allocated on a 2TB 5400 RPM drive designed for AVR. Average queue length there is also very low, around 0.05.  The Emby server CPU requirement amounts to less than 10% of the machine's Sandy Bridge core i5.  This is my main desktop, and I can't detect any loss of performance by adding this application. However, today I suddenly discovered that SSD space was being massively swallowed up by Emby. That was when I realized that an Emby folder (%appdata%\Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\) contained over 24,000 files consuming over 60GB of space and growing rapidly. Yikes!! It appears that while the Roku app in another room is set to live TV, Emby adds 20 files per minute to this folder with no apparent limit except the size of the partition the folder resides in. Not exactly what anyone should have on their system drive.  Great way to create a Windows blue screen, I suspect.  And possibly make it unbootable.

My wife wasn't a big fan of moving live TV onto the Roku/Emby combo to begin with.  However, after discovering that she could simply turn off the Roku and TV while watching live TV and then later all she had to do was turn it back on and there was live TV with no buffering at all!  So, of course, Emby was busy all night last night gobbling up my SSD.    

I have now dedicated a new partition on a third drive (other than the SSD and the DVR drive) to the Emby transcoding temp files. 

Emby also apparently maintains a file for the active live TV channel in that same folder that keeps growing constantly while that channel remains live. (Meaning, that file occupies exactly half the allocated space in the transcoding-temp folder) This also means if the Roku is left tuned to that channel for 8 hours, I could theoretically backspace over 8 hours of live TV on that channel.  Of course, at 10 seconds per key stroke, the battery on the remote would have died long before I could accomplish that.  And I would be hospitalized with carpal tunnel effects.  Is there any possible purpose served by this resource waster?

Ideally, this file could be used as a pause buffer.  Alas, not so.  I am completely baffled by a design that will record a buffer continuously for hours but won't let me actually make use of this massive space consumption for more than about five minutes. (I haven't actually timed it, but hitting pause on the Roku during live TV doesn't last more than a very few minutes before it just arbitrarily resumes playing.)   On WMC I can set the pause buffer size to whatever size I wish.  I am used to having at least an hour.  

Beyond the fact that a new user should be (prominently!!) alerted to the implications of the above, I view this as a seriously flawed design. Why on earth isn't there an option to specify a maximum amount of space for live tv transcoding files?  In an ideal design, when the time is exceeded, the oldest file is deleted before a new one is allocated, and this virtual circular buffer could also be useful as a pause buffer.  (Remember which file was in use at pause time. Call this the "pause file".  If the "pause file" gets deleted, the next one in sequence takes its place. On resume, just start playing the pause file.) 

If you have Live TV users with Roku devices, you need to try to train them to stop Live TV streams by backing out of them instead of hitting the Home button.  Unfortunately, the Roku is not designed very well in the situation of hitting Home.  It just kills our app.  This gives the app no opportunity to tell the server to stop serving up the stream and can lead it to continuing to do that for quite some time.

This may be the root of most of your issues with this...

• 1 month later...

@@Luke

@@ebr

I know there's a new AndriodTV app running now and the grid guide seems much more fluid, especially scrolling without pausing ever 4 channels..

I see the Server is going to have an update come out soon with a lot of DVR / LiveTV improvements as well as (another) revamping of the database. Will it address these things (Original Post and some brought up in this thread)?