Things with Emby DVR& LiveTV Needing Work.. Or Is It Just Me?

Sammy

I am in process of moving to Emby over WMC as it is time to do so. I thought I'd run WMC forever due to epg123 but with WMC's age and limitations (Not able to play outside local network, Extenders that need to be kicked in the pants as they drop off the network, no Premium TV support, removal of internet TV, Removal of Netflix for example) I want and need to move forward. 

• Speed of loading guide. One gets greeted with a spinner for 30 seconds or more sometimes
  • Speed of loading Program Information in the Guide
  • Speed of start of playback for Live TV
  • ComSkip Implementation / Integration
  • Displaying Closed Captions on Live TV and on recorded TV
  • Integrating recordings into TV Series and Movie Libraries in addition to in RecordedTV
  • Use of standard buttons remote on devices that support them.. (Info, Record, Guide, FFWD, RWD, Skip and Repeat, Last Channel)

These are some of the things I see needing some work to make the DVR and Live TV a better experience.

Are some of these (Speed Items) on my end? What information needs to be provided? Grab a log immediately after these show themselves?

To reduce stress on my SSD, I have all my Emby Metadata, etc on a 5400 RPM drive. Is this something slowing things down? Is it my interenet? (I have 300/20 from Spectrum and the HTPC is on a Gig Ethernet)

Any suggestions are welcome for these items but some of items on this list requires a change to the core code. For a better DVR Experience, I'm willing to kick in a few more bucks to Emby BTW.

• Like 1

kanipek

Hard to diagnose without knowing the specs of your server and client boxes, router, switch etc

Your internet speed should  be good for your needs.

maegibbons

@@Sammy

How many channels do you have in your guide?

I have 547 and I get the spinner for about 7 secs with the guide fully poulated well under 10 Secs.

Your other "things" are well explained and generally known to be items somewhere on the roadmap. i.e. they are things that have been requested and may at some point be implemented.

Krs

Mark

Okay. 

My Emby Server runs on a dedicated i5 Core 4690K Devil's Canyon with 12Gb DDR3 RAM (don't remember the latency but I think is is 1600) sitting on a Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 3 MoBo with a Samsung 240GB EVO 840 SSD, running Win7x64 Professional. I run Plex on this machine too but rarely simultaneously. Plex DVR, with its idiosyncrasies, runs faster with better load times but maybe this is because I haven't migrated the settings files off my SSD yet.

Main Clients are nVidia ShieldTV and Third Gen Roku 2 (4360 or whatever it is, wish they would not re-use model numbers!). Beyond that is Galaxy S7 Phone but really not often at all. Occasionally I'll use the web app or ET on an i5 Laptop but not too often.

maegibbons

So do you want to give us the real guide load times on the Shield then please so we can see if it is in the right magnitude?

Also what version of the ATV app are you running?

Krs

Mark

LOL..

It is around 10 seconds but sometimes it will spin out for longer than that. Same with loading a show.

The thing is WMC and Plex are much faster. I guess both of those load off the SSD though but even WMC has a 5400 RPM for the recording drive.

I just need faster.

As far as the things besides speed, I guess I'm trying to put them out there again in one place because these are the things needed for Emby DVR to gain better WAF.

You will still have dificulties moving on from WMC Emby is good but still far away from being able to replace WMC is still far superior with Live tv especially starting live tv on the ssd drive it is nearly instantaneous whereas in theatre it is 4 seconds too slow to replace WMC that is why in my living room WMC is only used emby is used for everything else. In theatre there a lot of other things that bug me that you can't just delete stuff simply it keeps taking you to different screens lot of these issues that when you start to actually use it you go why would I replace WMC with this when this is not even close.  

• Like 1

You will still have dificulties moving on from WMC Emby is good but still far away from being able to replace WMC is still far superior with Live tv especially starting live tv on the ssd drive it is nearly instantaneous whereas in theatre it is 4 seconds too slow to replace WMC that is why in my living room WMC is only used emby is used for everything else. In theatre there a lot of other things that bug me that you can't just delete stuff simply it keeps taking you to different screens lot of these issues that when you start to actually use it you go why would I replace WMC with this when this is not even close.

For me the reason is WMC is lacking the ability to playback SiliconDust's PremiumTV.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GreenAndPrickly
My principal client at the moment is the Roku Emby channel. I have very similar issues to Sammy, viewed from the client perspective.  After a couple days mulling over what it would take to improve the client experience given the basic physics of the fundamental system architecture(s), I have reached a few conclusions.  

The first idea came to me suddenly while using a Chrome browser client on a networked Windows PC. Noticing that various activities result in different URLs, it occurred to me that I could bookmark these URLs! 

OK. Why would I want to do that?  I will digress a bit to answer that question in some detail: Maybe it is just me, but when I launch any application, including an Emby client, at least 9,999 times out of 10,000 I know precisely what I intend to do with that app. (Maybe the 10,000th time, I accidentally hit a key after imbibing too much.)  Specifically, if I want to watch live TV, I am not interested in having the Emby server spend any of my valuable time collecting and formatting information about my entire media library and sending it to my client for me to peruse. End of digression.

So, I bookmarked the "What's On" page of the Live TV section. After exiting Chrome completely, I launched Chrome again and clicked the book mark.  Sure enough, the hoped-for result is exactly what happened. Goodbye library spinner, hello what's on live TV in exactly one (1) second. Half a dozen live TV choices one click away. 

Maybe five seconds later, it occurred to me that this is precisely what I want to happen on my Roku. The Emby Roku app has the exact same menu system as the Browser client. And ultimately, exactly the same set of activities that can be launched on the server. Given the obvious fact that the Roku doesn't have a web browser with bookmarking capability, how would one achieve the same result?  

Of course, what is needed (for starters) is a separate Emby app for each major Emby activity!  (Live TV, Recordings, ...) Surely, this is not a major project. There is nothing fundamental to rewrite; basically just a repackaging of one Roku "channel" into four. The exact same four that are already coded.

It would also be extremely helpful if (eventually) the "Emby Live TV" Roku channel had the option to choose which "live tv" section will appear when the channel is launched, with the others available as links below that option. However, I would strongly suggest providing individual activity-focused channel apps before adding any features.   

Our second area of unhappiness with Emby is the DVR.  Mostly with respect to what I consider should be almost trivial to implement.  Namely, the set of options available in WMC when a specific program or series is scheduled to record (particularly series).  How difficult can that possibly be? I have trouble understanding why that wasn't implemented years ago.

Just my opinion.

My spouse and I would dearly love to get rid of the huge cost of cable TV and move to something like a premium IPTV solution. However, without the kind of features outlined above, it is highly likely that we will soon drop the Premiere subscription and simply go back to WMC. The HTPC that was being used for one TV is a bit flaky and needs replacement. However, my spouse would rather spend $$$ on reliable hardware than precious minutes watching useless spinner icons and having to spend our valuable time manually deleting shows we want automatically deleted 24 hours after they record.  We have multiple Win7 Ultimate full licenses that can be moved, and have been moved to new hardware, multiple times.  So far we haven't found a front end that comes close to WMC, despite all its faults, so that may be our only path until something matures enough to be usable.

Namely, the set of options available in WMC when a specific program or series is scheduled to record (particularly series).  How difficult can that possibly be? I have trouble understanding why that wasn't implemented years ago.

Hi.  Have you explored the "Series Settings" for one of the recording series you have setup?

GreenAndPrickly

Hi.  Have you explored the "Series Settings" for one of the recording series you have setup?

ebr:  I have not.  However, I might try that, if I had any idea where "Series Settings" is.

A few things about WMC that are lacking..

• Ability to view from outside the home
  • Ability to playback local content reliably on extenders causing the need to have different devices to do so
  • Ability to play PremiumTV
  • Ability to talk to my  home automation

There's probably a few other things but it would be nice to see Emby more closely emulate WMC on as many devices as possible.

GreenAndPrickly

ebr:  I have not.  However, I might try that, if I had any idea where "Series Settings" is.

Never mind.  Found it.  Have to scroll the guide to an episode and click it.  Would be nice if the settings dialog was also available on a recording.  General programming principles. Multiple ways to do things. 

In any event, I can strike that one off my list. 

GreenAndPrickly

A few things about WMC that are lacking..

• Ability to view from outside the home
  • Ability to playback local content reliably on extenders causing the need to have different devices to do so
  • Ability to play PremiumTV
  • Ability to talk to my  home automation

There's probably a few other things but it would be nice to see Emby more closely emulate WMC on as many devices as possible.

• If you set up login access to the WMC computer (remote control) then you have access to all its apps. (You could setup limited access logins.)  Far from a perfect solution, but ii is possible. 
  • What is "Premium TV"?  I have Homerun Prime cablecard tuners that have DRM channels. (We don't subscribe to any at present.)  Something similar?  Or are you talking about m3u content over IPTV?
  • I use an ISY994 for home automation. 

The bottom line is, WMC was designed about two decades ago, and has had very little update or support since. Finally abandoned in the latest Windows versions except for "Foundrers Edition".  Nevertheless, it does a whole bunch of stuff with great reliability.  With me, it isn't so much WMC I want to abandon, it is XFinity and their ever-increasing price gouging. They are very close to the time they will totally price themselves out of business.  Except as an internet provider. 

If Emby can serve IPTV reliably with a client interface we can live with, I calculate we can save upwards of $1K annually with better content.. Plus, there is actual price competition with IPTV instead of a monopoly.  

I use the Vera Plugin in Emby to control the lights in my family room when a movie starts. I could do this with the Harmony Plugin in Vera too, I suppose.

It was only released on August 19. I have no pay channels so it is pretty good except it is missing Fox Sports and Smithsonian. I'm starting to learn to live with that but still have YoutubeTV at $35 a month while I'm trying to decide.

GreenAndPrickly

Are you talking about using something like TeamViewer to view WMC? Not an option for me.

I realize not a very good solution for most people.  Plus, I have zero idea how well it would work with heavy streaming traffic.

Never mind.  Found it.  Have to scroll the guide to an episode and click it.  Would be nice if the settings dialog was also available on a recording.  General programming principles. Multiple ways to do things. 

In any event, I can strike that one off my list. 

Hi.  Those settings are also available from the "Scedule" tab and the "Series" tab under your Live TV library.

Hi.  Those settings are also available from the "Scedule" tab and the "Series" tab under your Live TV library.

I think that what is being requested is the ability to adjust the settings at the time of scheduling the recording? I'm not sure if it isn't already there.

BTW, While you're on the line, what do you think about my "short list" of improvements?

As we move into the future WMC is going to fade into the past and having a good replacement in Emby is tantamount to Emby's success, IMHO.

You were first with the DVR and Grid Guide and now it's time to be the BEST!

I would happily pay more beyond what I've paid already for Emby to have the DVR improved.

Thanks!