Emby is creating way too many files in /var/lib/emby

ikus060

I've recently install Emby on a server. I've configure it to scan my Movies, TV Shows and Music. I have around 600 movies, 20 TV Shows and 3k sound track. I do not consider this a very large library.

I notice emby is creating way to many files under /var/lib/emby. It doesn't bother me, but I just don't understand why so many files. Shouldn't Emby use a database to store the metadata ? Why does it need to create an xml files for each movies, actor, etc.

I notice this problem, why trying to upgrade to the beta version. The installation is executing `chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby` it took a noticeable amount of time to complete. Don't want to compare, but Kodi is not creating that many files.

Shouldn't Emby use a database to store the metadata ?

HI, yes it does this. And in fact, if only saves nfo or xml files for movies if you enable it. So if this isn't what you want, why did you enable it? It is off by default. Thanks.

Yep, I see nfo settings is enabled. I was expecting one nfo file to be created for each movies. So ~600 nfo file to be created in the movie directory. That doesn't seams to be the case.

I will try to remove everything and start fresh and keep the nfo settings disabled.

Storing this information in files will allow for media portability, faster library rebuilds and less traffic to the public FREE providers we use.

You said these files didn't bother you, so why is this a problem?

Today I care about how many file get created because I may have about billions of file created under /var/lib/emby. I don't have the exact number because `file /var/lib/emby | wc -l` did not complete within 4 hours. Since the number of file is too high, it was blocking my upgrade to the beta version because `chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby` was blocking the upgrade for a very very long time.

My plan would be to remove all the files `rm -Rf /var/lib/emby/*`. And rebuild the library from scratch. Making sure the nfo settings is disable. Then count the number of files to check if it's reasonable.