Setting to disable embedded subtitles

mekwall

I nearly always have issues with embedded subtitles and always try to get external ones (the language I want is never embedded anyways) so it would be great to be able to disable embedded subtitles so it will only show external ones or none at all if they don't exist.

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 6

MKVToolnix can easily remove those sub tracks FYI

That would change the hash of the source file and make it difficult to find matching subtitles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

External ones also get priority, so you could also just obtain external subtitles.

Yes, and I always try to do that. But when I only have english subtitles it's impossible to say if it's embedded or external. Hiding them would make it easier to know what movies and series I have working subtitles for and which I don't.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
HaraldBluetooth

I see it like this. If you download an external subtitle file, it's because you prefer this subtitle over the embedded ones. Otherwise there would be no reason to download an external in the first place.

I know you could rename all your external subtitles to ex: Home Alone.spa.default.srt - but why not make this to a setting: Always prefer external subtitles (if present) over internal/embedded: Yes/no.

I see it like this. If you download an external subtitle file, it's because you prefer this subtitle over the embedded ones. Otherwise there would be no reason to download an external in the first place.

I know you could rename all your external subtitles to ex: Home Alone.spa.default.srt - but why not make this to a setting: Always prefer external subtitles (if present) over internal/embedded: Yes/no.

We don't need a setting as the system already does that.

External ones also get priority, so you could also just obtain external subtitles.

HaraldBluetooth

We don't need a setting as the system already does that.

Hmm, if I have a mkv file with an embedded subtitle file in danish (is set to default in the mkv file) and have an external subtitle file also in danish. On the subtitle page in my user setting, I have chosen Danish as Preferred subtitle language and Smart in Subtitle mode. In this case the web interface chose the internal/embedded subtitle file.

If I chose Always Play Subtitles in Subtitle mode, it gives the same result.

post-81004-0-07280500-1552644543_thumb.jpg

post-81004-0-55817300-1552644551_thumb.jpg

Edited by HaraldBluetooth

The system will remember previous subtitle selections. Try this with a brand new video.

HaraldBluetooth

Thanks Luke, I tried with a new movie, and it worked as it should. I don't think I actually have opened all my movies (without playing them) and set the subtitles to the internal ones. But I will give Emby the benefit of the doubt, and check next time I have more new samples to chose from.

Will this also be the case in those movies, where there is an english embedded subtitle in the mkv file, and I have an external english subtitle file. Will the preferred also here be the external, when my preferred subtitle language is danish, and I have chosen always play subtitles in the settings?

Assuming all other factors are equal, then yes external subs take preference. But if the internal track is marked force and the external is not, or if the languages are different, then it depends on the emby user subtitle preferences.

HaraldBluetooth

Thanks for your answer. The later changes with better information about the subtitles on the movie page has also maked the life a little easier for the subtitle people, like me, so also thanks for that :)

HaraldBluetooth

One further question - should you have started playing the movie, before the system remembers your subtitle choice?

• 4 weeks later...
otispresley

I liked this request because my external subtitles are not preferred for TV Shows, and Emby does not remember my choices across episodes of the same season or show. When I set my preference to Smart or Forced only, no subs are displayed at all (probably because PGS subs are broken in Emby and is why I started downloading external subs). The only way I can get it to choose subs is if I set it to Always, but then it chooses the embedded PGS subs instead of the external ones and so I get no subtitles displayed. So for every episode of a TV Show, I must manually select the external subtitles, no matter what my subtitles settings are.

where there is an english embedded subtitle in the mkv file, and I have an external english subtitle file. Will the preferred also here be the external,

If everything about the two is the same, yes.  If, however, the internal one is marked default, then that will have priority.

• 11 months later...
AviatorBimmer

+1 for this request as well.

Can easily be implemente by allowing an option such as IGNORE EMBEDDED SUBTITLES.

So the check that Emby does to populate the subtitles dropdown list is bypassed and the list is only populated with external subtitles, if available.

This would really clean up the dropdown list and not have duplicates being displayed, etc.

Much cleaner and friendlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
ricardomaranhao

+1 for this request as well.

Can easily be implemente by allowing an option such as IGNORE EMBEDDED SUBTITLES.

Brazilians never have embed subs. Just clutter everything.

• 2 months later...
PontusN

+1 To this request. Having to remind my few (not so techy) users everytime they try to use .PGS on chromecast is getting really anoying.

Or (in my situation) even better, Enable Subtitle burn in on HW transcoding. (Dont know if this is possible).

@Luke @softworkz (Hope you dont mind a tag)

Edited by PontusN