Live TV on Chromecast force full screen

ggibson793

ggibson793

When casting Standard Def (480P) live TV channels to chromecast, the image does not display in full screen. It displays in the middle of the screen with black bars on all 4 sides. See attached photo.

REALLY ANNOYING.

Please make chromescast stretch the image to take up the maximum amount of screen real estate. At least make it full height with the black bars only on the sides, or full width with the black bars only top and bottom.

post-342518-0-74730000-1535927307_thumb.jpg

ggibson793

Doing some more testing, it only appears to be happening on live TV. Movies that I know are 480p are displaying full width. My TV tuner is an HDHomerun Prime, if that helps.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

ggibson793

Even more testing. It is doing it on Emby Theater for XBox One, also. Can you please look into this?

ggibson793

Looks to me like that is how it is being broadcast...

Well that is obvious. My point is that Emby needs to stretch it to use the maximum available screen real estate.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Doesn't your TV have a stretch mode to handle that?

Most of our apps have zoom capability but, when using something like a ChromeCast these types of things get a bit more difficult.

ggibson793

Here is another picture with the info bars active. Notice they are full width. This is a problem with Emby. Its not my TV settings. Even it it was, changing settings on the TV depending if the broadcast is HD or SD is unacceptable.

This is going to be the deciding factor of whether or not I continue with my Emby Premier subscription

76526c3f3862509643c25cf830b7d8b6.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Are you sure the black bars aren't just baked into the video?

They are.  He is expecting us to recognize that somehow and automatically zoom them out.

I suggested using the TV controls to do this if he wishes.

ggibson793

Just to clarify. This is only occurring with live TV broadcast in standard definition. It seems to me that you would be able to recognize that and stretch it to fit the available screen real estate.

ggibson793

Using TV controls to zoom in is not an acceptable option with a house full of non-technical people that expect a product to just work without having to intervene.

They are. He is expecting us to recognize that somehow and automatically zoom them out.

ggibson793

They are. He is expecting us to recognize that somehow and automatically zoom them out.

Using TV controls to zoom in is not an acceptable option with a house full of non-technical people that expect a product to just work without having to intervene.

ggibson793

ggibson793

ggibson793

ggibson793

Sorry for the duplicate posts. My internet connection just bounced a couple of times while I was posting

ggibson793

This is actually more complex than you realize. Here is an explanation from an expert:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44777-transcoding-cropping-out-black-bars/

That doesn't mean it isn't possible, however it is not something we can throw in quickly. I apologize that this leads you to thinking our software is not working properly. Please understand, we are simply just playing the content in the source streams, and that's where the black border originates.