New TV slight studder playback issues resolved. Explain these settings.

cbdudek

cbdudek

I bought a new LED 4k Sony TV and an Nvidia Shield and have really been enjoying it.  This was a clear upgrade from the 52 inch LCD TV I bought over 10 years ago.  One of the things I noticed first is how smooth the playback was 90% of the time.  What I also saw was when I watched a movie, if they were panning across the landscape like in The Martain,  I was getting a slight studder.  I didn't put much thought into it at first, but I decided to really dive deep into this issue.

In emby, I found these settings.

Enable refresh rate switching

Prefer exact refresh rate

When I activate those settings, the playback is as smooth as butter.  No studder at all. 

I then got to wondering why this problem happens on a brand new TV.  I can only assume that these two Emby settings set the refresh rate to exactly what the video I am watching is set at, which eliminates the studder.  Yet, if I let the TV handle it and don't set these settings, I see that studder.  Do all TVs have this challenge?  Is it best practice to always match the resolution and hertz settings of the video you are watching? 

Emby doesn't have these on by default, so I know I am not going with the "best recommended settings".  Which is partly the reason for me asking these questions.

I really want to understand this so I can better educate myself, so if you have any information or maybe some good reading you can give me, that would be great.

Sammy

Most TV's sold do not support refresh rate switching as yours does so the default settings aren't always the best settings for a particular set up. They are merely the best for most set ups.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

cbdudek

Ok, gotcha.

What about the refresh rate itself.  Is it best to always match the refresh rate and resolution of each video that is played?  For instance, I have 4k 60hz as my default resolution on my TV.  If the video I am watching is 4k and 23.976, then I am assuming that my TV has to do the work to process that video down to the level of video.

I guess I am trying to understand best practices.

Sammy

Yup. If the frame rate of the content is 23.976fps as it is for film it is sent to the TV as such and the TV has to do a 3:2 pull down to match 24fps to 60fps. In other words, it displays 2 identical frames then 3 identical frames on the TV and then it drops a frame every once in a while to get back on track between 24fps and 23.976fps. You are seeing this as stutter because you see 0.033 (2/60) seconds for the first frame then .050 (3/60) seconds for the next frame and an occasional skipped frame.

Google 3:2 pull down if interested in more in depth information.

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

Turning on frame rate matching in Emby allows Emby to instruct the TV to switch frame rate via HDMI as HDMI is a two way communication between source and display.

cbdudek

I did a little bit of research into the 3:2 pull down.  It seems that the consensus is to do the best you can to match the video recording to the TV when it comes to resolution and refresh rate.  So, for instance, if the video was recorded in 4k 6t0hz, then its best to set the TV to 4k 60hz. 

in the past, with my old LCD, I didn't have that situation because my TV only made it up to 1080p with 59 or 60hz.  I wasn't able to get 60fps on that old LCD though.  I think it was locked to 24fps.

Thanks for the education on this.  I really did learn a good amount on what is best practice.  I would like to hear what others think just in case I am not making the right approach.  Guess I should have bought a new TV sooner.  :)

Sammy

I've had a 24Hz TV since I got a Samsung LN40-650a 10 years ago.. $2700 for that 40" bad boy and it still works but has some capacitors that need a bit of time to warm up now. I got it initially to match frame rate output of my Samsung BP2500 Blu-ray player which had both component and HDMI output. I never used the component.. I paired this with a Denon AVR-889 and was going in style! I've always compromised screen size some for better PQ. That old LCD still has the deepest blacks nearly matching my current Panasonic Plasma VT60-60 which itself is going on 6 years old. I won't go 4k until that TV needs replacement, sorry but it is just that good and at 60" and my viewing distance it really won't much be noticeable anyhow.

And if you're wondering where my moniker "Sammy" came from.. it is that Samsung TV..

If you have the auto rate matching turned on in Emby, I suggest setting the Shield to 1080/60 and letting your TV do the upscaling of all

cbdudek

If you have the auto rate matching turned on in Emby, I suggest setting the Shield to 1080/60 and letting your TV do the upscaling of all < 4k content.  Maybe you won't notice but I think you'll get a little better picture with the regular HD content.

Thanks for this.  I will set this and try it out.  I had it originally set for what was recommended in the Shield, which is 4k/59.(something).  I then changed it to 4k/60hz.  Heck, I don't even know what is best at this stage.  I am still playing around with all the settings and trying to figure this out on the fly.  I guess this is the penalty for waiting so long to upgrade my TV.

cbdudek

I've had a 24Hz TV since I got a Samsung LN40-650a 10 years ago.. $2700 for that 40" bad boy and it still works but has some capacitors that need a bit of time to warm up now. I got it initially to match frame rate output of my Samsung BP2500 Blu-ray player which had both component and HDMI output. I never used the component.. I paired this with a Denon AVR-889 and was going in style! I've always compromised screen size some for better PQ. That old LCD still has the deepest blacks nearly matching my current Panasonic Plasma VT60-60 which itself is going on 6 years old. I won't go 4k until that TV needs replacement, sorry but it is just that good and at 60" and my viewing distance it really won't much be noticeable anyhow.

And if you're wondering where my moniker "Sammy" came from.. it is that Samsung TV..

I had a Samsung LNT5265f which is about 10 years old as well, maybe a bit less.  I paid $2300 for mine, and it works great.  I just wanted something that would look nicer now that I am sitting more than 12 feet away from the TV and a 75 inch fits the bill. 

It just amazes me that I didn't see any frame rate issues when I was on that old TV, but frame rate wasn't a problem because I think the signal was 24 across the board on that TV.  I could set it to 60 but I could never achieve it.

Guest asrequested

Personally, I don't like refresh rate switching. The frame rate is low enough that I see flickering, and it's uncomfortable for me. I prefer interpolation. The shield appears to have enough muscle to it pretty well. You just need to set the frame to your display's natural rate.

Guest asrequested

I'm an old fart and used to film so I like to see film content look like film on my TV too.

There's a huge difference between celluloid and digital rendering. For me, it's a strobe light, without interpolation. It's physically uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Sammy

There's a huge difference between celluloid and digital rendering. For me, it's a strobe light, without interpolation. It's physically uncomfortable.

This is why it's nice to have options!

@@cbdudek do what looks best for you!

• Like 1

cbdudek

Liking both of these posts because personal preference is all that matters. Thanks for your input guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk