3.6 api breaking changes

Luke

Android TV references LocationType quite a bit and is not expecting it to be null...

Mostly I look for Virtual but also check for Offline and FileSystem in some places.

Offline has not been used for a long time. We don't have any database storage to indicate something is offline. All we have is error handling during the library scan for offline content.

So the only thing this should be used for is to check if something is virtual

The TV app is using an enum at this point so I'm not sure if that will ever equate to null but, if it does, it will be a problem.  The app also has special handling for offline items. When was that removed?

A long time ago. We have proper error handling in the library scan for offline, but we don't have knowledge at the database level if something is offline or not.

Hi @@Luke

Is LocationType the only breaking change in .61? I have pretty much hammered out all the other changes and had a fully functional app as of .60..... 

If it is at all possible can you revert this one? maybe hold it off to the next major dev cycle?  

Thanks!!

This is bloating the api output. It is a trivial change to adapt to if you follow my guidelines above.

Hi @@Luke

Thanks for the answer for the second part of my question, No there is no way this change is going to be delayed. 

For the first part are there any other breaking changes in .61? 

And a new one :) . Will there be a point with a reasonable lead time when breaking changes are frozen before the next stable release?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @@Luke,@ebr

A  couple more basic questions about location.type offline. Want to make sure I understand …. :)

1) In the past the type was set to offline if the content was still defined to emby, but the drive etc. was unavailable. Basically some kind of error or removable media? That is correct I hope. Or was it used for anything else?

2) How does the playback manager in the apiclient handle "offline" content is the IsOffline  property still valid? or does the client need additional logic there?

Thanks sorry for the simple questions... To ebr's comment the enum in the apiclient will be changed at some point

Playback has never checked offline. You just try to play and handle the failure appropriately if it fails. the property was never really used for much

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @@Luke

I am testing ember with 3.6.x for @@7illusions

Is there a change to IsRepeat or IsSeries in TV guide info ?

In 3.5.3 ember returns "New" as expected (matches web client etc)

5c17b5f0759f1_Annotation20181217093108.j

in 3.6.x everything is flagged as new.  

5c17b6606a3a6_Annotation20181217093619.j

Thanks

Thanks for bearing with me  :)

"It is only true if it is a repeat."  That I understand (I think)

The real question is what is the logic to flag a show as being new. 

in 3.5.3 it looks like if IsRepeat was null and IsSeries is true, Then the show was "New"

the 3.6.x logic is different.

In 3.5 and below, the server always automagically decided that something was a repeat if it wasn't New. However, i have since learned that these are two independent data fields, and so now in 3.6, a show is only a repeat if the guide data says that it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In 3.5 and below, the server always automagically decided that something was a repeat if it wasn't New. However, i have since learned that these are two independent data fields, and so now in 3.6, a show is only a repeat if the guide data says that it is.

Hi @@Luke

Still trying to wrap my head around this.

Bottom Line How do I determine  if a TV show is New?

the apiclient. has..

isRepeat

isLive

isPremiere

isSeries

Missing from that is an "isNew" 

7illusions

Thanks @@Luke, I will be spending next week in the US and will have plenty of Jetlag-time and airport-time to spend on fixing the major issues in Ember. :)

From your point of view, what are the most important things that needs to be fixed in the c# apiclient for 3.6?

• Like 1