Question regarding streaming out of LAN

pr3dict

pr3dict

So this has been an issue I've had for a few months but didnt really care to fix it until now...

Issue: Outside of my network any direct play/direct stream will not play. The server sends an address, and the player, internal or VLC does not play it. If it transcodes the file it will work fine. 

https://mywebsite.com:8920/emby/Videos/18d9e027d5a2071efdd388d9ff2a6beb/stream.mkv?DeviceId=498d3537cba432d2&Static=true&Tag=3a3ea902cd5b19e5ec08c0e01d622798&MediaSourceId=18d9e027d5a2071efdd388d9ff2a6beb. User-Agent=Emby/1.6.15a (Linux;Android 5.1.1) ExoPlayerLib/2.8.0/Emby, Accept-Encoding=identity, Host=mywebsite.com

I've read some threads that mentioned the "static=true" variable being bad and I should look into why its doing that or something to that effect...

I do have emby behind a reverse proxy but it's been working fine for the year previous to this one. I know usually you want logs but I just figured this would be a quick answer to a quick question lol. 

Hi, yes we will want to see the log files, yes. But that does sound proxy related, probably interfering with the server's ability to handle range requests.

If you recall from how to report a problem we request complete log files. However I think the proxy messing with the headers for the range requests is a strong candidate, and the log file won't be able to indicate that.

pr3dict

Can you elaborate a little on range requests???

I just tried to direct play a movie on the same network with the emby 4 android and this time it said it couldnt play the file and it listed the local IP address. So I don't think that request was trying to go over the proxy. Still wasn't able to play it. 

pr3dict

Yeah I just added the server manually by the local IP address and the android app is still spinnnnnnnnnning away.

pr3dict

Please don't just write this off as a third party problem... I said earlier that it was working fine for a year previous to the issue arising with the reverse proxy in place.

I also just added the server directly to the android app on the same local network, bypassing the proxy and still having the same issue...

So pretend I never said anything about a proxy and please focus on the real possibility of a bug in your software.

pir8radio

Please don't just write this off as a third party problem... I said earlier that it was working fine for a year previous to the issue arising with the reverse proxy in place.

I also just added the server directly to the android app on the same local network, bypassing the proxy and still having the same issue...

So pretend I never said anything about a proxy and please focus on the real possibility of a bug in your software.

I only see proxy responses near the end of the log you attached...    It could be proxy issues especially if the media you are trying to play is mp4. 

Its also possible if you are testing with the same movie the chunks are being stored in cache, so even though you are using the app internally something got cached from when you did connect using your proxy.

But that's not to say there is no emby bug, I would guess more people would be complaining about it though.    So if you could please just try a different movie format, see if it plays,  just download something if you only have mp4's.     If you can try another log too maybe tell what time you tried from an internal address and external might help track down the issue.   

pr3dict

I did it when I posted earlier and again at 11:14PM EST. The IP address of the device in the logs is 192.168.10.104

I keep trying different movies. All are MKV containers.

It is going over http not https.

emby server log 180826v3.txt

Edited by pr3dict

pr3dict

I dont mean to be a **** but this is why I don't post logs because it seems they arent read haha...

It says what device and version of android all over it. 

HTC U12+

Android 8.0.0

HTTP POST http://192.168.10.89:8096/emby/Sync/Data. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.0.0; HTC U12+ Build/OPR1.170623.032; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/68.0.3440.91 Safari/537.36
Edited by pr3dict

pir8radio

@@Luke feel free to tag me back in if you don't find anything.     @@pr3dict  feel free to test your app on my server, see if it works for you.   I'll remove the login info below later tonight. 

REMOVED

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

I'm on 3.0.1.0.

Also it happens on a fire TV android app also.

Only transcoding will play.

To be honest that sounds like range headers, did my videos play from my server on your android?    But I would wait and see if luke discovers anything in the logs.

did my videos play from my server on your android?

The results of this will be helpful. Thanks.

pr3dict

It played when I connected to his server. Not sure if it was transcoding or direct play/streaming but it played.

Edited by pr3dict

pir8radio

It played when I connected to his server. Not sure if it was transcoding or direct play/streaming but it played.

I show you transcoding right now at 7.5mbps.  not sure if your phone has the bandwidth to play most of my newer movies.  you can try to direct play Green Lantern, that should direct play for you with your bandwidth. 

pir8radio

speedtest app showing I am getting 60mbps down.... Just tried green lantern. Direct played?

yea,    Not sure why it is transcoding maybe manually set your bandwidth to max when you start playing.   The AUTO seems to be forcing you to transcode on my system.   Looks like Avengers worked after you forced high bitrate.

5b860937ef19d_Capture.png  5b860a1f476c8_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio