TV Show Logos Not Showing

vidkun
Go to solution Solved by im85288,

vidkun

I am using the latest stable version of XBMB3C in the repo with XBMC 12.2 and the latest stable Aeon Nox 4 release connected to the latest stable version of MB3 Server.

I'm having issues with images being displayed properly for TV Shows (haven't even started checking/testing the movies side yet). I started with trying to use the Episode view to display them as banners, but that never worked anywhere near correctly. So now, I am trying to use the Landscape view to display them as Logo. However, all I get is text of the show name with the episode counts in parenthesis. I have verified that the show does have the correct image in MB3S for the logo image type and have stayed on a single show name for at least 5 minutes just to be extra extra extra sure that it wasn't an issue of just needing to d/l the image and cache it first. Nothing ever shows up. Any ideas on why some of the image types have issues loading? Any testing/info I can do/provide to troubleshoot this?

On a separate (lower priority) note, I've also noticed issues with watched statuses not always syncing up between what is shown in XBMB3C and MB3S sometimes. Figured I'd mention it in case that was a known issue with a fix coming. Otherwise, the image issue more important to me at the moment.

im85288

The images work much better with a Gotham release. Is it possible for you to try a Gotham release and report back? 

vidkun

Upgraded to Gotham Beta 3 and it did resolve the issue with the logos and the banners in Episode view not displaying. However, now in Episode view when you are on a show and it switches to display the show poster it appears to be using another banner image and it's all distorted. All artwork should be getting pulled from MB3 correct?

xnappo

MB3 and XBMC images do not map 1:1. Some of the Nox views stretch images into unfortunate aspect ratios. There is a switch to use season art for episodes if that is acceptable.

In general though, if you are picky you will be happier with one of the skins with XBMB3C support. Someday hopefully someone will make a Nox mod. Aeon MQ5 works pretty well to. ..

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

vidkun

Sorry. I thought Nox was one of the skins with support. I'll try MQ5 again as well. And just to clarify, the images that are showing in the XBMB3C as distorted in the episode view are ones that I recognize as being banner images that I had previously in regular XBMC. They aren't ones that show under the show's "images" section in MB3 at all. Not a huge issue at the moment, but was just trying to get it straightened out if possible. I'll check out the season art option you mentioned.

Thanks for the great work guys.

vidkun

Tried switching to MQ5 and the two XBMB3C revised skins pinned in this forum. All three are still showing banners in place of posters. At least in MQ5 it is showing the banner in the proper format/aspect ratio instead of smushing it altogether. However, the view options are clearly set to show "poster" and banner is not even an option. This is the case in multiple view types in MQ5 that should be showing posters, but are instead showing banners.

I can make do and ain't that picky, but I'd be happy to help troubleshoot the issue so that you can get XBMB3C working as correctly as possible. Is there a log of the request for where it is pulling the image from? Or anything else I can test for it?

xnappo

Tried switching to MQ5 and the two XBMB3C revised skins pinned in this forum. All three are still showing banners in place of posters. At least in MQ5 it is showing the banner in the proper format/aspect ratio instead of smushing it altogether. However, the view options are clearly set to show "poster" and banner is not even an option. This is the case in multiple view types in MQ5 that should be showing posters, but are instead showing banners.

I can make do and ain't that picky, but I'd be happy to help troubleshoot the issue so that you can get XBMB3C working as correctly as possible. Is there a log of the request for where it is pulling the image from? Or anything else I can test for it?

Well, feel free to take a look at the code.  It is quite simple.  I did recently refactor it to make it more compact (in the Git - not 0.8.5), I don't think there is a functional difference though.

Peer review lines 553-558 and 1313-1320.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.XBMC/blob/master/default.py

As I said - there is not a 1:1 mapping, so maybe there is a better mapping.  Install the Git version and play around with it.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

im85288

Can you try my Xperience1080++ skin for this? You'll need to switch to XBMB3C mode to get the best out of it and use the Alternate Home view. Please report back if the banners are displayed in place of posters as for me this is fine.

xnappo

Also, please post some screenshots so we can be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks,

xnappo

vidkun

Didn't spend too much time with xperience1080++ skin, but it seemed like there was only the one view for tv shows. That view did properly display the banners, but didn't seem to show posters which are what usually are messed up.

A few screenshots below should demonstrate the issue well enough. If you need more, let me know as there are plenty of examples for the issue.

post-3294-0-37986900-1396920795_thumb.png

post-3294-0-60501800-1396920802_thumb.png

post-3294-0-07013400-1396920810_thumb.png

xnappo

Oh wow - that is all screwed up. 

I don't see that issue - I just see an issue with 16:9 images being forced into 'cover' aspect ratios on some views.

Anyone else have any ideas?

You are using the released version right?  Not the Git?  I ask because I did redo the code in the Git recently without much testing.

Only thing I can think to try is deleting your TexturesXX.db file that is the local cache of the images.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

Did you try deleting your TexturesXX.db file?  Only thing I can figure is it has the images cached from Frodo still. That said - I don't see this problem with the WRONG image in Frodo either.

xnappo

im85288

Didn't spend too much time with xperience1080++ skin, but it seemed like there was only the one view for tv shows. That view did properly display the banners, but didn't seem to show posters which are what usually are messed up.

A few screenshots below should demonstrate the issue well enough. If you need more, let me know as there are plenty of examples for the issue.

I've seen this before and thought it was only related to using the server on OS X. If you go to the TV show in your server and edit the primary image it has probably picked things up as a banner instead of a poster. It annoyed the heck out of me and still does. What I had to do manually :( for all my tv shows was use the web client to retrieve the correct primary image...this is then saved locally as poster.jpg..I then copy/pasted this poster.jpg and renamed it folder.jpg..this prevents it from being overwritten with the incorrect banner version when the daily schedule runs.

If this is the same problem your having please report back as I would like to get this reported again. Can you also report what OS your running the MB3 server on.

BTW - theres loads of views in the xperience1080++ skin but that's a different subject :)

Edited by im85288

vidkun

Have not deleted the texturesxx.db file yet and after this update, I doubt you'll think it is the cause. Started looking into im85288's suggestion and saw this crap in the MB3S web interface. Selecting poster view shows all the art as banners. However, some of those banners are actually the posters squished down into banner dimensions. The Alaska show in the first screenshot was originally showing the banner as well. I edited it and chose images. I saw that "primary" was indeed the banner image. So I manually changed it there through the web interface for MB3S. I figured that was the issue so I moved on to the second show, American Horror Story but was greeted with the images shown in the second screenshot. It had the correct images with the correct labels in the correct spots. However it is just trying to display the "primary" image (poster) as if it were a banner for some reason.

EDIT: Just went through and verified the images in MB3S for every show. All but two shows had the correct images for primary and banner.

Regarding the folder.jpg, some of my shows do have a folder.jpg and others don't. I will go through and make sure that each one contains a folder.jpg that is a copy of its poster.jpg.

MD3S is running on Windows Server 2012 Essentials. XBMC is running on Windows 7.

ywUbQod.png

RRcfczX.png

Edited by vidkun

vidkun

Not sure of the connection between how things in XBMC would cause displays of things in MB3S to be screwed up, but I think I've got this resolved. I went through every show in MB3S and manually redownloaded every show's primary/poster image (is there a reason for the different terminology?). Then I went on to the HTPC and deleted the TexturesXX.db file from my user data dir. Start up XBMC and things seem to be working properly.

Now to just iron out the watched status issue. Not sure if I'm crazy or not, but I swear things aren't being updated sometimes. I'll have to pay more attention and will bring it up if I confirm that. Otherwise, thanks for the help guys. Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure. I've not seen this "crap" before  ;)  Once you get the new version can you try that out and report back? thanks.

vidkun

New version being the git release? Or is there a new release of something coming soon? Based on what I was seeing in the MB3S web UI, it would make me think MBS is the culprit here.

xnappo

Definitely agree what you were seeing was a server/meta-data problem, not anything with XBMB3C.

There is definitely something with watched status that we are dealing with.  It is difficult with the way XBMC handled it vs. MB3.  At the very least we need to stop trying to cache 'season' data at all.  I have admittedly been working on another project - hopefully will get back to this one soon.

xnappo 

im85288

New version being the git release? Or is there a new release of something coming soon? Based on what I was seeing in the MB3S web UI, it would make me think MBS is the culprit here.

By new version Luke is referring to the Server. For sure this is nothing to do with the XBMB3C add-on at all as it effects any client. In a way I'm happy not to be the only one experiencing this. Beware any new TV shows you add will probably experience the same (it does for me)..but maybe the latest DEV version of the windows server solves it for you. It sounds from your description like you did not do the copy/paste to folder.jpg...if that is the case you may find that the primary image get's overwritten again with the incorrect banner version. This would not be evident in XBMC (due to the caching) but will show immediately in the web client and others like the Roku that do not do image caching locally.

• Like 1

vidkun

You're right. It did already overwrite the primaries again. Damnit! I'll make sure to copy to folder.jpg this time. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

im85288

@@Luke - Now that more than one person (i.e. me) has experienced this problem is it something that can be looked into?

I solved the problem by manually copying the poster.jpg and replacing it with a folder.jpg in the same directory.

Would it be possible to get the folder.jpg written out at the same time as the poster.jpg or Alternatively for it not to overwrite the poster.jpg when there is no folder.jpg in the folder structure? FYI I am using a OS X server and vidkun has this running with a Windows server. 

vidkun

If you file that, let me know and I'll add some info to mirror yours (i.e. any sort of log files needed, etc.)

• Solution
im85288

I did on this thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6356-the-posterjpg-is-overwritten-with-a-low-quality-banner-unless-there-is-a-folderjpg-file-present/&do=findComment&comment=88711

So far most of the comments have been about an additional problem I am having with the CoverArt plugin on OSX but the main focus of the thread is about our issue...so any info you would like to add just include it there. Thanks.

• Like 1