Emby BDMV Support

IceBoosteR
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

IceBoosteR

Hi,

I have experienced on the latest Emby version (3.5.2.0) that the BDMV support is not working as expected. Yes the video starts, but the titles are in the wrong order.

So imagine, you have the classic BDMV folder structure and in the STREAM folder, you will have

00000.m2ts

00001.m2ts

00002.m2ts

What happens now is, it is playing 00001, then 00002 and then 00000. But infact, the movie should start with 0-1-2 of course.

Please fix this.

Thanks

IceBoosteR

Hi, what Emby app are you trying to play with?

Hi Luke,

I have tested this with:

Firefox 61.0.2 (latest version)

and Android with also the latest version of emby installed.

The server is also the latest version of the dockerized solution.

Cheers,

Ice

Hi.  Streaming (i.e. transcoding) disc folder rips has always been an "experimental" feature due to the tools we use not really supporting them.

For full support of that type of media you would need to use an app and player that can direct play (and understand) them like Emby Theater Desktop.

For best results across all Emby apps, you should consider converting these to a file format (mkv or mp4).

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Hi. Streaming (i.e. transcoding) disc folder rips has always been an "experimental" feature due to the tools we use not really supporting them.

For full support of that type of media you would need to use an app and player that can direct play (and understand) them like Emby Theater Desktop.

For best results across all Emby apps, you should consider converting these to a file format (mkv or mp4).

Theater will only play the main title.

If you're wanting to play everything on the disc, you're going to want to use the Emby folder format and create a specials folder.

Here's a thought for you devs. This may have already been suggested, somewhere. But what about having a trailers folder like specials. So people can put the disk trailers in it and have the apps play those trailers when the cinema mode is enabled? And if not present, then just plays trailers from the plugin. Wouldn't that meet these guys in the middle?

Our supported naming conventions for trailers can already accommodate multiple trailers. is that what you're asking?

Guest asrequested

Our supported naming conventions for trailers can already accommodate multiple trailers. is that what you're asking?

No. I'm suggesting that in the movie directory, also have a trailers folder, like the specials folder. So when these guys want to keep the entire disk contents (obviously losing the actual disk menu) they can just put that particular disk trailer(s) in that folder. So when they play that movie, it will only play those trailers, when cinema mode is enabled. People who keep the disk rips seem to want to experience playing that disk in the way it's intended. If there is a trailers folder, then that can be in part, replicated. Possibly even adding other folder options to play other media that is on the disc? Wouldn't that just be expanding what is already in place? And not need a lot of new development?

PenkethBoy

It in the wiki as already supported

Movie extras

Special features for movies can be stored as video files in an extras folder under movie folders. Nested folders are not supported.

In addition to extras, several other sub-folder names are supported:

• extras
  • specials
  • shorts
  • scenes
  • featurettes
  • behind the scenes
  • deleted scenes
  • interviews
  • trailers

Guest asrequested

But do those trailers override the other trailer options? So if there are trailers in that folder, do those only ever get played? And in order based on numbering? What I'm saying is, will that play exactly as it would if it were a disc? Because that's what these guys seem to want.

Edited by Doofus

IceBoosteR

Have you been seeing the warnings about it being experimental?

Back to topic:

Yes I have seen this and I am not an iditot. So I have raised this here first, to get this fixed. I mean I can also create a bugticket on github for this.

At the end of the day, Emby is scannign for a specific file structure.

If BFMV is found, Emby knows that this is a BD folder structure. If you just throw in those three files, you will end uo with those three an you can not merge them.

So I have tested, when you go into the Folder view within Emby and navigate to that folder, it still start playing the 00001 first, but you are able to go back with the arrow in the manu bar, to the first title.

So I assume is is nothing more as to write a wrapper, or loop or some sort of code that IF BDMV is found, start with file xxxxxx

I could even write that myown, but as I do not know where exactly and do not not Embys internals, I will leave it to the devs. But that should be very easy to fix.

Nevertheless if it is experimental or not. This should work.

IceBoosteR

Unfortunately it isn't quite this simple.

Damn it...

But I would love to see this on a roadman for fixing.

• Solution

Well the fix is convert to mkv. The reality is we do not plan to do any new development related to folder rips. There's just not enough users using them anymore.

We use a library to read the bd structure and determine the playlist of m2ts files. Essentially you're asking to just play them in file order but that will negatively impact other titles. That library is no longer developed so we can't count on any new improvements, and going into it ourselves is not realistic due to the effort involved and the very small audience for this feature.

• Like 2

RanmaCanada

I have to agree with Luke.  This has been brought up time and time again by several users, and it's always a select few who don't seem to understand that we are the minority.  Rip your blurays or UHD or whatever with Makemkv into proper mkv's.  You don't need to transcode them at all, just leave them as raw remuxes.  Burn your backup images so you have them safely stored in case something happens to your originals, etc.  There is maybe 10-15 of us who still use media images on this board, and Luke and EBR give the same answer every time.  We need to move forward, the developers aren't the ones that need to move backwards.

Also you have to think of the overhead that would go into the server to try to figure out MPLS protection.  Do you really think Luke and company have the time to try to integrate that into the server?  Gawd no.  Rip your stuff with the right software and save yourself the headache.

• Like 3

IceBoosteR

Thank you guys for the explanation.

I think I need some time to remux them, but I do see the advantage of the given "solution".

-Ice

-> closed <-

One2Go

For the Devs here to spend time on a folder playback solution is neither wise nor beneficial other developers are in better positions for this. I do rip some to folders but I use PDVD for playback. I do not rip all BDs to folders only those that have decent extras and I want just 1 selection instead of many, Brazil and Bridge of Spies comes to mind. Also TV Shows like Suits, Big Bang theory and others tast have interesting extras I will keep as folder rips and play them back using PDVD. I also accept that Home Theater owners are now in the minority and PQ as well as AQ does not matter to most since they are content watching the content on mobile devices, which is not to my liking.

Edited by One2Go

d00zah

But with something like MakeMKV,, one can rip all the content of a disc, full A/V Q, to .mkvs & Emby will manage it nicely. Player is less relevant. MakeMKV will also remux folder rips to .mkvs (there are even batch tools to aid in this endeavor... pretty painless). Folks just seem resistant to a change in workflow.

One2Go

But with something like MakeMKV,, one can rip all the content of a disc, full A/V Q, to .mkvs & Emby will manage it nicely. Player is less relevant. MakeMKV will also remux folder rips to .mkvs (there are even batch tools to aid in this endeavor... pretty painless). Folks just seem resistant to a change in workflow.

I can tell you may not quite understanding what is being addressed here. MakeMKV rips discs into separate files, now if all you want is keep the main feature with your preferred selections, you are done. I likewise have several remuxed versions of discs, but how will you get into 1 entry point different video formats, SD & HD resolutions as well as frame rates, never mind audio formats of 5.1 or 2.0 channels that are on the disc? Are you trying to tell me that different clips with 23.976fps and 29.976fps will be accepted just fine when trying to merge them into a single file? You can't rip them into a single file, they have to be ripped into separate containers. Then you have to hunt for the meta data to describe what you just ripped and most likely you will not find it as they are extras on a disc.I tried to fool mkvmerge in doing just that and then have madVR play back that concoction, it was a non starter and when fps or audio channels changed it was jarring.

How much easier to keep everything in one directory and pay the people that make a living of creating software players. In addition pay the people that are best in organizing your collections. Companies that used the Swiss army knife approach did not fair well.

d00zah

Granted, it may be easier to stick to unsupported folders, but the devs HAVE provided alternatives...

A single .mkv can contain multiple audio tracks of various formats. Emby can handle mulitple versions (.mkvs) of the same feature, in the same folder. Common metadata. Not exactly what you are used to, or might prefer, but read up...

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Extra features are accommodated  (\extras),  with Emby providing the 'menuing'.

I would suggest experimenting with multiple versions of a single feature to sort out how things work.

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 2

One2Go

Tried that, experimented with it, done that and you are correct it is not my preferred way to navigate and then display the collection. The web app or any of the other apps are not an informative enough front end for my home theater. Best solution for my taste is the Throgsoft themes for EMC the screen shots of the various other ways of displaying content are unimpressive to me. I have been with this community since the Media Browser days and because of my sizable collection for me it is all about navigation and ease of display of content details. WAF and WOW factor because of eye candy are also important to me. Of what use is it to invest $10k in a home theater when it does not feel like you invested that kind of dosh.