Intel nuc on sale

Deihmos

bennymac

That's a wicked price. If only amazon would ship to Australia i'd get the i5 version B)

I was looking for a a new htpc for one of the bedrooms and found this on sale for 259. Not a bad price at all for an i3 device.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer-BOXD34010WYKH1/dp/B00HOJAVDG

Deihmos

i5 is an overkill for an htpc and cost nearly 400.00. My other bedroom has a Celeron 1.2ghz and plays everything without a hitch.

Edited by Deihmos

bennymac

Yeh cool. They're a solid little box. I've setup 2 of the i3 versions of that nuc. They ran win7 with media center. I found they performed ok but the builtin ir reciever was alittle hit and miss using a remote - it had to be pretty dead on for it to pickup.

If the nuc is just receiving content from another pc the i3 version is ok, but if it's holding content and transcoding etc i'd go the i5 variant.

• Like 1

Deihmos

My main htpc is also an i3 and it can transcode without a hitch. Prior to that I had a q6600 and that transcoded without a hitch . The i3 is more powerful than it. Not into transposing videos though. Direct play is more convenient.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

bennymac

Cool. Yeh i agree. The desktop i3's versions are a quiet achiever i just think the low voltage i3's they put in the nuc's are alittle under powered but they get the job done for sure!

It still got my q6600 - awesome cpu and still kicks ass :D

Edited by bennymac

Deihmos

I got the nuc and it is impressive. Playing 1080p videos with 2% cpu use, quiet and IR works well.

Sent from my HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC using Tapatalk

Sent from my HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

sasaba

Anyone having the reported problem with the HDMI audio driver dropping out when either the Nuc goes to sleep or the AV equipment (receiver or tv) is turned off. I am having this issue and have seen multiple post about it. Apparently Intel is working on a fix but it has been months in the progress. The only current way to resolve this is to reboot the Nuc when the audio device drops which really means powering down the Nuc after every use. Here is one of the posts on the intel site:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/41853?start=0&tstart=0

Edited by sasaba

Deihmos

I had that problem with my desktop after a windows update. It is connected to a receiver but a bios update solved it. The nuc is connected directly to a TV and I never experienced anything like that before.

Edited by Deihmos

• 2 weeks later...
Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy ££££££'s !!!!!

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

;o) looking for a low powered device and wanted something guaranteed to just work. Needless to say it didn't because I'm still using wmc and now experiencing the problems with networked recorded tv! Looking to move to MBT soon though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What issues you having with networked rec tv ??

Spaceboy

That the client can't see the wtv file properly in the networked recordedtv folder until it's complete. I use recordedtvhd at the mo and that cannot recognise the wtv until complete, you can start playback if you locate the temp file from the native recorded tv in wmc but it will only play back to the point the recording was at when playback started. My g/f is not prepared to wait to watch her soaps ;o) so we usually go with the second option but it's quite painful.

Server wmc (or a dvblink plugin should it ever come) can get round this as they can see the temp wtv properly and track it as it grows. Live tv in MBT is the nirvana, almost there!

• Like 1

@@Spaceboy I've just installed nextpvr for a play I think me n you might have to have a chat about newCS and AcamD etc.. cos I have no idea!!!

I can't get a picture with lav filters in next pvr atm tho so I need to sort that first!!!!!

Spaceboy

I did lee, I visit the new one occasionally, less and less now I'm getting into mb though.

So nextpvr does support ci cards then? I asked the question on the thread and no one answered so I I wasn't sure if it worked or if we're weren't allowed to discuss it or what. Anyway I'm no real expert, but I can try.

I'm using the dreambox at the moment and I followed the well documented on avsforums. I'd need to look back at the thread to work out my setup, I haven't touched in in years. I've also tried the card reader about a year ago, pretty sure that was using newcs. Again I got the instructions from that thread on avsforums, some very helpful people over there too. With dvblink you configure a set of the acamd files for each tuner and then just put them in the plugins folder within each tuner config in programfiles\dvblink\sources\ and dvblink does the rest.

I stopped using the card reader cos it wasn't as stable as the dreambox, but I wonder whether they've made any improvements on that, I keep meaning to go back and check it out. Anyway, what's your setup / problem?

Spaceboy

Also just seen dvblink have just released their first beta for v5, it allows multiple streams per transponder, they reckon 2-3 are possible. Just giving it a try out now. Anyone any timelines on dvblink integration? Or how we can help out? It all seems to have gone quiet again. Maybe we should have a kickstarter type thread where people can pledge cash for development? I'd be really happy to contribute towards the dev of some of these apps but the only thing I can offer is financial support

@@Spaceboy nextpvr is a no go for me from what I've seen. Ridiculously unstable, got picture working (automagically!) then it said tuner in use for recording (which it wasn't!), then crashed.

Channel changes take ages too. The wife will just keep pressing i know now skip about 40 channels before it turns over... Hahahaha

Spaceboy

;o) yeah that doesn't sound too great! Ah well, I need a working backend and client for live tv before I can fully move from mce so hopefully MBT live tv and a dvblink plugin arrive at the same time!

• Like 1

politby

{snip}

I stopped using the card reader cos it wasn't as stable as the dreambox, but I wonder whether they've made any improvements on that, I keep meaning to go back and check it out. Anyway, what's your setup / problem?

newcs isn't seeing much development any more, at least not on Windows. Oscam is the preferred card server nowadays. Rock solid with USB smartcard readers and acamd plugin.  :)

• Like 1

@@politby @@Spaceboy

A DVBVIEWER sat.ip plugin would be better than dvblink imho. Dvbviewer is rock solid. From my limited use of dvblink it was very buggy....

Have a look at this thread I'd like to convince this dev...

http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/47467-integration-with-xbmc-pvr/page-5

politby

Must have been a while ago. It's very stable now.

But I agree DVBviewer would be preferable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Spaceboy

I am a longstanding dvblink user so I would echo what politboy says. I'm not tied to it though. Anything that support ci cards!

Also politboy is correct, I was using oscam with the card reader. It wasn't rock solid when I was trying it a year ago, do you think it has improved? Do you know where I can get the latest instructions on setting it up? Looking back at this thread http://www.avforums.com/threads/howto-sky-through-dvb-s-card-within-mce-part-4.1632373/page-5#post-17682147 I'm markus76 my problems were with getting oscam to consistently start