Require login for all users accessing via nginx reverse proxy

paulmorabi
Go to solution Solved by pir8radio,

paulmorabi

I've just noticed (maybe rather foolishly) that via my nginx reverse proxy, emby is not requiring a login. I thought previously that as I was logged into my emby account it was not showing the login screen. However, when I tried via different browsers and incognito modes I can see the login screen appear briefly before disappearing and showing the main emby screen.

I'm reverse proxying my localhost at port 8096 (nginx config below). 

location /emby {

auth_basic off;

proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8096; # Local emby ip and non SSL port

proxy_hide_header X-Powered-By;

proxy_set_header Range $http_range;

proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;

proxy_set_header Host $host;

proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;

#Next three lines allow websockets

proxy_http_version 1.1;

proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;

proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";

}

Is there a way to force all connections to login, ideally only those connecting with remote IP's but if not, all?

Thanks! 

pir8radio

I've just noticed (maybe rather foolishly) that via my nginx reverse proxy, emby is not requiring a login. I thought previously that as I was logged into my emby account it was not showing the login screen. However, when I tried via different browsers and incognito modes I can see the login screen appear briefly before disappearing and showing the main emby screen.

I'm reverse proxying my localhost at port 8096 (nginx config below). 

Is there a way to force all connections to login, ideally only those connecting with remote IP's but if not, all?

Thanks! 

If all of your users have passwords set it should be already..   What Ip address shows up in the emby dashboard when users login?  Their internet ip, or some internal ip of yours?

paulmorabi

If all of your users have passwords set it should be already..   What Ip address shows up in the emby dashboard when users login?  Their internet ip, or some internal ip of yours?

Where should I look for this? I can see the LAN and WAN IP in the dashboard and it shows me logged in clients but just says "Chrome" or "Chrome Android". If I click on the session, it only gives the option to rename it.

paulmorabi

In the activity log to the right.

Ah yes! I see. It's showing the external IP I'm connecting from.

• Solution
pir8radio

Ah yes! I see. It's showing the external IP I'm connecting from.

Then is should be asking for passwords, Do you have passwords set i each account?  not just pins, or emby connect. It will "remember" you if you logged in once with an account.. but that doesn't mean it will allow the next person in.  Maybe describe the steps you take when logging into emby and when you see an issue..  Maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

paulmorabi

Then is should be asking for passwords, Do you have passwords set i each account?  not just pins, or emby connect. It will "remember" you if you logged in once with an account.. but that doesn't mean it will allow the next person in.  Maybe describe the steps you take when logging into emby and when you see an issue..  Maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

It's working now. I had the local account linked to my Emby account having had set the password for the instance. After doing this, it's all OK. 

Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...
Friday13th

i have the same problem - without using any authentification for my reverse proxy site everyone can access my emby server from the outsite.

i dont understand what you mean by "I had the local account linked to my Emby account having had set the password for the instance"

are you using emby connect with your reverse procy domain? that was my goal so using emby connect through the proxy on port 80 and not opening port 8096 on the router

pir8radio

i have the same problem - without using any authentification for my reverse proxy site everyone can access my emby server from the outsite.

i dont understand what you mean by "I had the local account linked to my Emby account having had set the password for the instance"

are you using emby connect with your reverse procy domain? that was my goal so using emby connect through the proxy on port 80 and not opening port 8096 on the router

so are you using emby connect or not?   your users have a password set right (users/user/password tab)?   What kind of reverse proxy?