Shield tv and mpv

nikc0069

nikc0069

Using latest beta of android tv client on shield tv with hdhomerun connect duo in the UK.

We all know ExoPlayer just isn't working.

Mpv tunes and plays very quickly but with what looks like interlacing.

This isn't too bad, and I might be able to live with it. But I'm sure I read somewhere that mpv on android tv doesn't support multichannel audio. Is this true?

Also, I'm running Plex side by side as a test for now and they also use ExoPlayer, and tuning is quick. They have other bugs and I prefer Emby but the Oreo crashes live tv thread seems stagnant.

I guess I am asking - what's the state of ExoPlayer bug fixing (plex have extended exo, is that an option?), and limitations of mpv?

• Like 1

kanipek

+1

I am seeing the same with Plex instant tuning using Exoplayer on all the channels. But I really really don't like Plex, Emby is a much richer interface.

nikc0069

I'm exactly the same. I really want to use Emby but there isn't much feedback on where these tuning issues currently sit. I'm sure they are being worked on, and I hate the Plex way of doing things but if a key feature doesn't work I may have to switch back.

Plex doesn't require ffmpeg when streaming to the Shield.  It just direct plays the content from the HDHomeRun.  No reason why Emby can't do the same thing.

Emby will use ffmpeg to change the container and build an index it uses to FF/RW. Plex just calculates this data on the fly just like many other DVR software does with ts files. Plex also doesn't need to probe the data (useless anyway) either.

But Plex also can and will transcode if needed right on the shield if needed for audio types your TV/sound system might not support.  These things makes a huge difference in performance.

PS probing data on live TV is useless for the most part.  For example some channels can switch from h.264 to mpeg2, audio can change from 2.0 to 5.1.  Languages can change.  So if you start with 2 minutes pre-padding that doesn't mean the data will be the same 2 minutes later, nor does it mean the commercials will use the same audio type as the show/movie.

Emby had a big lead in DVR over Plex but that is shrinking quickly and in many ways Plex has passed Emby (ie conflict resolution). Plex still doesn't like to share it's tuners with other computers/devices on the network and doesn't like "mixed" tuners such as a combination Prime (cable) and Quatro (OTA) but other than that it's coming on very strong with it's EPG.  It's tough to decide which to use right now if you run both systems.

• Like 1

nikc0069

Thanks that is pretty thorough. Maybe @@ebr or @@Luke has a different take? I will stick with Emby as the more I read about Plex the less I like the direction they are going in and dvr in Emby is seamless elsewhere. Its just the shield.

I agree that tuning without the use of ffmpeg is something that we can get done in the future. Thanks guys.

• Like 2

maegibbons

If exo could be fixed to play UK HD content from HDHR without "Playback correction"  that would go a long way to satisfy the problem.

Overall exo otherwise is the better player.

Perhaps more effort needs to be made in extending/fixing exo as plex has done.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Wise choice @@nikc0069

I know Luke has mentioned in the past about redoing parts of DVR to handle things like conflict resolution and multiple airing times, etc.  That I believe will make the DVR much stronger then it presently is.

Yes, Plex is moving in a slightly different direction in some ways. My beef with Plex is lack of listening to users and ALWAYS thinking their way is best.  I was a Plex Ninja (user advocate that does QA, tech support and works with devs and managers directly and had real time access via chat to everyone) for a while but got kicked from the program for voicing my distaste of the direction they were going in for some things like News and Podcasts.  Nothing wrong with the features per say but they took away server admin control of the features.  So and admin who has spent years crafting their servers and content and making sure all content is kid safe now has content distributed to users/kids that they can't control, filter or remove as the server admin.

They would do stupid things like autoplay news as soon as you enter that section with no ability to view stories first before playing something.  Imagine sitting at work and having a video play from news talking about "grabbing her by the p****y" and similar vulgar language these days on the "news". Definitely not safe for work content nor for children.  Things like this is what really pushed me away from Plex or from recommended it to others.  Just not a great way to do business IMHO.

Edited by cayars

If exo could be fixed to play UK HD content from HDHR without "Playback correction"  that would go a long way to satisfy the problem.

Overall exo otherwise is the better player.

Perhaps more effort needs to be made in extending/fixing exo as plex has done.

Krs

Mark

EXO has issues with different types of closed captions as well which is different than subtitles.

TV and DVR recordings in many ways are much harder then DVR/BluRay rips.

nikc0069

Getting rid of probe sounds good. Obviously I realise that with global standards based releases there are fewer variables.

The odd thing is once you've told Emby a couple of times there is a problem it then works perfectly. Is this down to probing @@cayars? Seems like either a simple direct play straight from the tuner for the shield app would solve multiple problems. Given there are current discrete options it could be tied to the direct play toggle.

I assume Google has not allowed via api or otherwise the ability to call the live channels player which I understand to be a different beast to exo.

Edited by nikc0069