Android App Not Running But Authenticates Constantly

Scott310

Scott310

Hey there,

This one is no big deal but I thought I would report it.  I wasn't sure if I should place this post in Server, Android, or Testing since I'm on Beta. 

I'm on beta version 3.6.0.2.  Lately it seems that even if my android app is closed the server dashboard shows my phone as authenticating every few minutes.

Not really much more to report than that. But It does make me wonder if this is on the server side or on the android side.  This may be affecting my phones battery performance.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It's the background sync process. It's something we can look at improving in the future. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
accarshop

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10 sitting on a stand next to my computers that I use for occasional background music and media (TV, movies, etc.) while I'm working.  The Tab runs on Samsung's flavor of Android 7.0 and it has the Emby 3.0.16 client installed.  Recently I've noticed the battery has been draining significantly faster than before.  I found this odd as there were times the battery was gone and I hadn't used the device at all.  Aside from app/system updates the only real change on the system has been adding the Emby client.

Since Emby is the primary change I've made on my Tab figured I was just forgetting to close Emby.  After starting to watch things I found that wasn't the case.  What I found was Emby won't let me close it out on the Tab.  After using Emby I close it (recent app button - swipe to close) as I don't want it consuming resources.  After swipe closing Emby it appears that Emby has closed but after a few minutes (2 or 3) the Emby server dashboard (monitored from a different system) will start reporting  "Last seen a minute ago" after what had been a climbing time.  Checking the Tab sure enough Emby is running in the background.  So then I go into settings - apps and force stop Emby.  The Emby server dashboard reports an ever increasing "last seen" time and then out of the blue (about 10 minutes in my last test) it starts reporting "Last seen a minute ago" for the Tab.  After a second force stop and it reappearing after another 10 minutes and checking the Tab it is pretty clear what is happening.

I didn't have any real diagnostic tools installed/enabled on the Tab and Samsung is bad about disabling/hiding things.  As a test I uninstalled the Emby client.  After uninstalling the Emby client from the Tab the server dashboard repeated 1 cycle of after 10 minutes saying "Last seen a minute ago" but then dropped off after a few more minutes.  That tweaked me so I reinstalled the Emby client and enabled some tools to help monitor things a bit better.  Re-confirmed swipe close doesn't close Emby.  Force close and after 10-15 minutes the Emby dashboard suddenly starts reporting Emby as last seen a minute ago.  Checking the Tab and sure enough, Emby is showing up in memory and consuming resources.  Checking developer options - running services I see Android reports Emby is running as a cached process.

I have a OnePlus phone (Android 8.0.0) laying around so I thought I would test on it.  It suffers from the same issue as the Tab with the Emby client restarting after being closed by swiping from the recent apps list.  Doing a settings - apps force stop does appear to work.

There are obviously a number of variables between the 2 systems but in the end it comes down to the same argument.  If there is a legitimate reason (is sync required) for this behavior then I would appreciate if you could help me understand why. Otherwise, there are enough things competing for my battery.  If I'm using the Emby GUI then so be it but if I'm not using Emby then I would expect it to close when requested. 

When you look at this I would request a few things;

• Remove auto-start from the app.
  • Add an "Exit Emby" option in the Emby client application and have that option completely shut the Emby client down.  If we want Emby to run in the background we can simply jump out of the app and launch into another app.
  • Closing the app from the recent app list closes Emby completely.  No re-launch.

Would be willing to run a test/debug client if you like.

Edited by accarshop

• Add an "Exit Emby" option in the Emby client application and have that option completely shut the Emby client down.  If we want Emby to run in the background we can simply jump out of the app and launch into another app.

Can't you just swipe to close like any android app? That will do the same thing.

accarshop

Can't you just swipe to close like any android app? That will do the same thing.

No, it doesn't.  The Emby client closes but then relaunches in the background.

Edited by accarshop

accarshop

When you do, please also check the force stop (settings - apps - Emby) behavior.  On my Galaxy Tab A Emby will reappear in the background (cached app) after either a swipe close or a force stop.  On my OnePlus Emby will come back after a swipe close but not after a force stop.

darkassassin07

I had a similar problem with an old tablet (pretty sure it was a galaxy tab aswell) that pretty much never got used but was always 'last seen one minute ago' in emby. It didn't matter if you swiped emby out of recent apps or even force stopped it. It was always connected to the server. I ended up uninstalling the app as it didnt get used anyway.

I'll add the android version number when I get a chance, but it was running the latest emby version at the time.

/edit:

Samsung Galaxy Tab (SM-T530NU)

Android version 5.0.2

Emby for android version 3.0.16 (beta)

Edited by darkassassin07

darkassassin07

I have a user that installed app v3.0.16 on android version 6.0.1 who is now authenticating every 10-20min filling my activity log with 'X user successfully authenticated'.

The app is not in use and has even been force stopped to no avail. The only way to stop this is to uninstall the app, or manualy delete it from the devices list in the server dashboard forcing the user to login again next time he uses it.

This user is also listed under 'active devices' last seen one minute ago permanently.

Edited by darkassassin07

• 1 month later...
Jrod696

I was hoping this fix was in the last update (which is amazing btw) but it looks like I still wakeup to 4 different android devices authenticating about every 15 min. Lots are pretty much useless because its full of authentication requests and I cant see what is really be done on the server.

I can say since it started happeing quite a while back going in to apps > emby > force stop, does fix the issue, but the next time the app is loaded if its not force stopped it starts all over.

I have gone to just blocking android devices (phones) all together. Oddly the IOS app doesnt do it.

Edited by Jrod696

CBers

I can say since it started happeing quite a while back going in to apps > emby > force stop, does fix the issue, but the next time the app is loaded if its not force stopped it starts all over.

It's been like that, since the official app was released. I am always in the habit of force-stopping the app once I've finished with it.

Not sure the original 3rd-party app(s) did the same.

Jrod696

It's been like that, since the official app was released. I am always in the habit of force-stopping the app once I've finished with it.

Not sure the original 3rd-party app(s) did the same.

For me its no big deal, but like my brother logs on occasionally, and he would forget his head if it wasn't attached to his body so I am constantly sending him a message, and the kids, dont even get me started.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is resolved for the next update to the android app, with Emby Server 4.0+. Thanks !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
gabeck86

Can you try 3.0.51+ and see how that compares:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74729-emby-for-android-mobile-3051/

Thanks.

Late to the party, but I am seeing this same behavior on my LG V20 running Emby for Android 3.0.59 (Server is version 4.1.1.0).

The app isn't open on the phone or listed in Recent Apps but I am seeing it as an active device on the server dashboard and the "last seen" time keeps updating to 0 second every few minutes.

The fix is in the beta channel for the app. I'm holding it there until the 4.2 server release. Thanks.

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, NiftieNev said:

Still happening in 2022. To exit Emby restart your phone.

Hi ,this no longer happens with the Emby Android app. IF you're having some kind of issue, we're happy to help:

Thanks.