Universal Windows Apps for XBox One

LASooner

Deathsquirrel

A Xbox One-compatible client can't come soon enough for me.  I would sooooo love to get the unreliable HTPC out of my living room but until I can play my movie collection on some other device the family can tolerate it has to stay.

fyodor

It sounded from the articles I read like there was no set date for universal apps to work on the XB1-just some time in the undefined future.

gthrift

I haven't read much about it, but what's more likely to work, the 8.1 app or the phone app?

Any word on if it would have to be purchased again on the xbox?  (not a big deal, and would probably be worth it)

gcw07

I haven't read much about it, but what's more likely to work, the 8.1 app or the phone app?

Any word on if it would have to be purchased again on the xbox?  (not a big deal, and would probably be worth it)

Either one would probably have to have a rebuilt interface to work with a remote control instead of touch. Not sure which one it is going to be though since this new stuff was just announced yesterday.

steve1977

Yea we're working on it.

Are there still appstore approvals or is this for real (and just a matter for some weeks or months)? I am in the US this week and would bring an X1 back to China if I knew that it will eventually work. Thoughts?

trooper11

Today at the second keynote for Build, they showed off a demo from an indie game developer that worked across the X1, PC, and phone.  They showed how most of the code used to build the game was simply reused for each project and only a few lines of codes would be needed to perhaps tailor the UI as needed for each device. 

Just more evidence of how easy they are trying to make this process. 

Well as was said above, you would need to tailor the UI of the app to play well with a remote, but it doesn't stop there.  On the X1, you suddenly have access to Kinect, which means the app could take full advantage of voice and gesture controls. Then there are other X1 bits like the OneGuide that it could leverage.

From a coding perspective, the current W8 app or the WP8 app could be pushed to the X1, it just comes down to who wants to take that on and work on the UI bits that would need proper tuning for a TV screen and proper tuning to make use of Kinect, etc.

As far as purchases, they made it clear that they have added the backend services to allow any developer to offer an app that you buy on one device and then use it on any other, so buy it on WP and get access to it on the X1 or PC.  This is optional of course, so a developer is allowed to still offer apps that you buy for a particular device.

Edited by trooper11

trooper11

It sounded from the articles I read like there was no set date for universal apps to work on the XB1-just some time in the undefined future.

Yeah, MS did not share a date on this, so we still have to wait for that. 

It might be something that comes along at the same time that they update the X1 with the developer mode that they have talked about, allowing anyone to use their own X1 as a dev kit.

bearcats2344

Has anyone in the MB3 development team applied for the ID@xbox program? I was browsing the forums over at plex and one of the developer over there has been granted access to the program for the development of a native plex app for the X1. I would love to see a native app for MB3 also. I would go for it myself but haven't coded in the better part of a decade......

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

steve1977

Here is one of the very many threads on the plex forums. Really hope that someone also picks this up for MB.Would be more than happy to pay for such an app.

gcw07

We did apply for it back when the Xbox One first came out. At the time it was only for games. I'm sure we will re-apply soon.

SikSlayer

Plex has already been approved. So there's no time like the present.

bearcats2344

Luke, that's great to hear! Hope you are accepted in the program. Look forward to seeing MB3 on the XBone

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

SikSlayer

Indeed and we are currently going through the approval process.

Good to hear!

walshy002000

This really is awesome. Once Live TV is working smoothly in the client, I no longer have to worry about a post-WMC future :) Great work guys, look forward to being able to press 'Buy' on my XB1.

vaise

I am holding off on my purchase of an XBox One as I have 7 Xbox360's connected up to my Windows 8 / WMC Media server that runs 24/7 in the garage, Each xbox uses WMC Extender for Recorded TV and Media Browser for other stuff.  Very little live TV is watched in this way and it is mainly for watching recorded TV (WTV files) and ripped movies/TV Shows etc etc.  I use RecordedTVHD for for the watching of that stuff. 

Once there is a media viewing client for Xbox One (MediaBrowser preferred), I will jump in, games are secondary to media in our house, althogh there seems to be a large number amassing.

Ideally, I would like it to also play WTV files recorded by the WMC.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
nickgrill

any update on this?  any idea when we might be able to see an app working?  if beta testers are needed I would love to sign up for it.

• 3 weeks later...
trooper11

Hey, some more great news on the X1 front that will impact the MB developers:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Of course there is the part about the cheaper bundle without Kinect, but the news that matters more to me is that they removed the Gold requirement for apps!  That means all app on the X1, including things like IE, are accessible without Gold.  Hopefully that means we are closer to the point where the MB developers can get an app pushed to the X1.

There is also info about the new Gold perks which includes free games every month and regular discounts, so cool stuff all around.

Edited by trooper11

Deathsquirrel

Yeah, I'm much more interested in free games and discounts as a gold reward than a stupid paywall on netflix and 'f-inghunlu' as we call that POS app around these parts.

• 4 weeks later...
tsunamiii

Any rough timelines when this will make it to testing? We looking Fall\winter time or any outside chance its sooner? And thanks for all that help develop this. Its an amazing app, been using it on various platforms for a few years now, its the best! 

judeau13

I can't wait to see the XB1 app! Having a full MediaBrowser experience will solve my biggest complaint on the XB1 and finally allow me to retire my 360. Like other people have tossed out, if you need a beta tester I would love to help.