Metadata Manager 'Original Aspect Ratio' Bug

jmos1277

jmos1277

So, I'd like to revive a thread from about three years ago: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23735-aspect-ratio-using-original-aspect-not-file-aspect/?hl=%2Boriginal+%2Baspect+%2Bratio+%2Bnot+%2Bread&do=findComment&comment=232155

I'm starting a new thread because one of the original points made by the OP seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.  The OP reported a bug wherein the Metadata Manager is wiping out 'Original Aspect Ratio' data.  Well, it's three years later and that bug still seems to exist.

Here's what I found:

1) The Metadata Manager provides the 'Original aspect ratio' field.  If I populate that field with a value (e.g. '2.35:1') and save it, the metadata manager correctly writes that value to the NFO file. Hooray, this part works.

2) However, the Metadata Manager CANNOT properly READ the <aspectratio> tag from an NFO file and populate the 'Original aspect ratio' field.  This is true even if the NFO file was written by the Emby Metadata Manager.   

3) When reading an NFO file, if the movie is a NEW movie (i.e. it's not already in the Emby database) then the Metadata Manager fails to read the 'Original aspect ratio' data from the NFO file, it overwrites the NFO file, and erases the 'Original aspect ratio' information that previously existed in that NFO file.  This happens even if the <lockdata> tag is 'true'.  I was actually surprised that Emby wrote to the NFO file of a newly imported movie.

4) Next, I revoked Emby's write privileges to my disk to prevent it from overwriting NFO files.  This way, I could prevent Emby from erasing the value aspect ratio data.  When I imported a movie (include an NFO file with a valid aspect ratio), it still wouldn't read in the data for the 'Original aspect ratio'.  At least it couldn't overwrite the NFO file.

jmos1277

Hi there, thanks for the report. I think i see why this is happening.

Is this something that may get fixed in the near future? 

I'm in the process of converting all of my movie.xml files into NFO files and adopting Emby's Metadata Manager.  I don't want to lose all of my 'original aspect ratio' information due to this bug.  Especially since Emby's Metadata Manager doesn't appear to fetch that information when processing movies.

jmos1277

It appears that the 'Original Aspect Ratio' field has been removed in one of the latest updates.  My locked NFO files still retain the info.  However, I suspect any NFO files that are unlocked will have that data erased when Emby writes a new NFO file.

Can you provide a bit of info on the plans for this field?  Are you just planning to eliminate it from the Metadata Manager completely?  Sadly, it seems like that's the direction you're going.

jmos1277

Ok, that was strange.  I updated to 3.5.2 (running on unRAID) and it disappeared.

After reading your post above, I tried restarting my server and it has re-appeared.  

Very odd that field that I've been asking about disappeared on me.  Have you made any changes to that field in 3.5.2?

No changes. The original issue here is resolved for a future update. Thanks.