#Bug #Help Fix/research faulty transcoding video info (e.g. resolution)

ldexterldesign
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

• 6 months later...
ldexterldesign

v4.0.2.0

Not perfect but much better

Is this hardware specific (i.e. if my hardware was better then I would see a better realtime transcode)?:

5ca77f2cd51c2_Screenshot20190405at181427

Also why is Emby transcoding h265 to h264, I would expect Emby to simply play the h265 file?

Hope to hear back

Cheers

Edited by ldexterldesign

Is this hardware specific (i.e. if my hardware was better then I would see a better realtime transcode)?:

Yes.

Also why is Emby transcoding x265 to x264, I would expect Emby to simply play the x265 file?

Did you try clicking the information icon in the middle to learn why it is transcoding?

ldexterldesign

Hi Luke,

Thanks for reply

5ca7e7d4cd99d_Screenshot20190405at210214

I presume the transcode happens because my browser (i.e. Vivaldi), neither any/many other browsers, support the h265 codec but does support the h264 codec:

https://caniuse.com/#feat=mpeg4
https://caniuse.com/#feat=hevc

If true then the Emby dialog is misleading because the container (mp4) is supported so you may want to test/fix that

I fixed my original issue by messing with the transcoding settings (Apple MacBook Pro 2014 should be able to transcode a 720p h264 > h265 on the fly to a satisfactory standard!)

Hope this is useful to someone else

Regards

Edited by ldexterldesign

ldexterldesign

My apologies, the container is mkv and the dialog is not misleading

I presumed the file was mp4 and forgot you can use h265 in mkv

Wishful thinking but would be useful if the dialog was a bit more verbose (e.g. container [mkv] and codec [h265] unsupported)

Regards

Edited by ldexterldesign

ldexterldesign

Did you try clicking the information icon in the middle to learn why it is transcoding?

Also, would review the CSS cursor UX here. The button/icon needs an appropriate cursor to show a click affordance. The container element (i.e. card) does not need a click affordance because it's not clickable.

Hope this helps

Regards

pwhodges

Wishful thinking but would be useful if the dialog was a bit more verbose (e.g. container [mkv] and codec [h265] unsupported)

Agreed; in particular, often the only reason given is container incompatibility - but this doesn't usually require transcoding to change, so another reason is likely..