Problem with HDR with a 4K UHD movie (Emby vs Plex)

bamaster

Guest asrequested

What do we actually tell Nvidia though? Do we have specifics on what encoder settings trigger this problem? Do the nvidia forums have any related posts?

I talked to support, through chat. Just tell them what is happening when playing the file with ExoPlayer. They'll want an example of you file, to test with.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

• 3 weeks later...
pclausen

Any response from Nvidia yet?

I have collected over 100 4k titles at this point and almost every single one of them shows the washed out colors when playing through my Shield onto my non HDR TV.

If I play the same title through my HTPC running ET, everything is great.  Both are connected to my Denon AVR which in turn feeds the TV.

The titles that don't have issues are nature shows like Earth: One Amazing day.  This in an amazing 4K UHD title, btw.

When I compare a title with issues vs. one without, the specs are almost identical:

Title4K HEVC	Title4K HEVC
CodecHEVC	CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10	ProfileMain 10
Level153	Level153
Resolution3840x2160	Resolution3840x2160
Aspect ratio16:9	Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo	AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo	InterlacedNo
Framerate24	Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate66429 kbps	Bitrate56779 kbps
Video rangeHDR	Video rangeHDR
Color primariesbt2020	Color primariesbt2020
Color spacebt2020nc	Color spacebt2020nc
Color transfersmpte2084	Color transfersmpte2084
Pixel formatyuv420p10le	Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1	Ref frames1

The only difference between the above 2 titles, is that the one on the left has a frame-rate of 24 where the one on the left (the Earth one I mentioned above), has a frame-rate of 23.9760246.

Edited by pclausen

Guest asrequested

I haven't had anything from them, recently. They did tell me that they are pretty backed up. So they said it would likely take a while. And the latest driver for my GPU still has't been fixed. I imagine that would be the first thing they'd fix. I'm monitoring it.

Guest asrequested

I think the shield must have automatic tone mapping, but it isn't working, probably due to the decoding issue. They should have made it a manual setting, like it is on the MiBox. That way you could at least test that's it's actually on, or possibly force it. Either way, don't hold your breath. They don't seem to be making it a priority. I may just switch to my MiBox, until Nvidia pulls their thumb out of their a**.

Just hooked my MiBox, again. It tone maps and plays all the videos that shield, can't. I'll stick with the MiBox (and remote so much better than the shield remote). Of course the ultimate solution is an HTPC with Theater desktop. Then all of this goes away.

Edited by Doofus

pclausen

The MiBox looks interesting.  Wasn't even aware that it existed.  So it will do bit-streaming of audio and proper 23.9760246 playback?

I have the following Emby playback devices scattered about the house.  I would rate them in the following order:

1. HTPC w/ ET

2. Shield

3. Roku Ultra

4. Apple TV

5. Roku 3

The Roku's can't bit-stream, not even the Ultra and the Emby client is missing features that are present in the Android and ET clients, like the ability to sort movies based on critic's ratings and play trailers for any movie in the library.

I can't comment on the Apple TV's ability to bit-stream since I have it connected directly to a TV unlike the other units that all feed into AVRs.

The only downside to the HTPC, is that I can't easily stream 4k content from Netflix and Amazon Prime like I can with the Shield and Roku Ultra.  I assume the MiBox will also readily handle these streaming services since it is Android TV based.

I binge-watched Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan from the Shield the other night, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it bit-streamed Atmos to my AVR and the sound effects were great through my 7.1.4 speaker setup.

Guest asrequested

I haven't hooked it up to my home theater to test. I have an Atmos setup, too. Since the upgrade to Orea, it does support more. Refresh rate switching doesn't appear to work.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I'm going slightly revise my position on this. While I too have many videos that the HDR doesn't get applied. The issue I had with not being able to play some of them, is unrelated.

I have not heard anything from Nvidia.

At this point, I am unsure what issue ExoPlayer is having with these videos. There does seem to be an issue with the decoder it's using, as others players have no trouble with HDR. I have updated Nvidia about this, but I have not had a response.

So it may be an Android issue, as I believe they are the ExoPlayer developers.

Ebr, is there anything more we can provide that would assist with this issue?

Guest asrequested

For further clarification, CUDA definitely has a problem with these videos. Nvidia has corroborated this.

So my thinking is that Android/ExoPlayer have devised a decoder that works with the natural decoder of the GPU of it's present environment. If that's the case, then it would also incur some of it's problems. Which would be an Nvidia problem. If they aren't doing that, then the issue lies with Android/ExoPlayer.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? :D

For further clarification, CUDA definitely has a problem with these videos. Nvidia has corroborated this.

So my thinking is that Android/ExoPlayer have devised a decoder that works with the natural decoder of the GPU of it's present environment. If that's the case, then it would also incur some of it's problems. Which would be an Nvidia problem. If they aren't doing that, then the issue lies with Android/ExoPlayer.

Does this make any sense to anyone else? :D

Yes, that is exactly the way Exo is designed.  It uses the native codec support of the device.

Guest asrequested

Yes, that is exactly the way Exo is designed. It uses the native codec support of the device.

That's what I thought. So either Nvidia needs to fix cuda, or ExoPlayer needs to revise what they're doing.

Maybe I'll submit a new report to Nvidia.

or ExoPlayer needs to revise what they're doing.

I can tell you that's not going to happen and it wouldn't really be a good idea anyway.  The way they are designed they "just work" with whatever hardware it is run on (depending on the capabilities of that hardware).

Guest asrequested

I can tell you that's not going to happen and it wouldn't really be a good idea anyway. The way they are designed they "just work" with whatever hardware it is run on (depending on the capabilities of that hardware).

Yeah, I can see that approach. I was thinking 'out loud' so that others can understand what's happening.

I'll harass Nvidia, again :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
griffindodd

As this seems to be related to the Android platform I assume it is the reason I see the same behavior on Emby for 4k FireTV connected to my 4k HDR TV?

At this point I can't use Emby to watch any of my HDR content on my local network.

Edited by griffindodd

Pepa pig

In short in my house and thats the KEY WORD i prefer emby all the way, I used plex a lot before emby but never going back to plex again. Plex transcode to much and Emby does not, Plus i like the libery oulook a lot more on Emby with the Blu-ray covers and so on happy customer here 

Regards 

• 2 months later...
pclausen

With the latest upgrade for the Shield, I was able to resolve the issue with washed out colors when playing HDR 4K content to my non HDR capable TV.

By default, my Shield selected the mode 3840x2160 @ 59.940 Hz YUV 420 8-bit Rec. 709.  This prevented me from setting Dynamic Range to limited.

After switching to the mode 3840x2160 @ 23.976 Hz RGB 8-bit Rec. 709, I was able to set Dynamic Range to limited.

With those changes, HDR titles now properly tone map to SDR for watching in my non HDR capable display.  As an added benefit, changing the refresh rate from 59.940 Hz (not sure why the Shield defaulted to this in the first place), to 23.976 Hz, I no longer get that annoying blank screen as the TV is resyncing between the Emby screen and a movie when starting and stopping.