Data about user's hardware and usage

erikblues

erikblues

It would be great to gather and publish user's hardware information and know what devices are most used as servers and for playback.

With this info, developers would know which devices have higher priority for updates/fixes, and Emby users would know which devices will most likely receive better support and quicker updates.

So next time I want to get new hardware, I could check that list, and make sure I don't purchase something that might get discontinued or lower priority fixes, updates and support.

If this is done right, it could even reduce development efforts, since people would naturally move to devices which work better and have more users.

PS: I tried searching but couldn't find this info anywhere. Hope I'm not asking repeated questions, I'm quite new here.

Edited by erikblues

Hi, to be honest I think it would mirror market adoption pretty well, so couldn't you look at those kinds of numbers? We prefer to trend towards collecting less data, rather than more.

erikblues

Hi, to be honest I think it would mirror market adoption pretty well, so couldn't you look at those kinds of numbers? We prefer to trend towards collecting less data, rather than more.

Yes, but maybe the 'whole public data' doesn't match the specific data from users who chose Emby?

I know data collection is an issue, people don't want to feel invaded. Do you think people would mind hardware info collection?

There is already the option to enable/disable "collect anonymous usage data" in the server settings. I thought maybe that is already being collected but isn't published anywhere.

Edit: It would help with requests like these in the forum.

Edited by erikblues

Yes you're right it wouldn't match exactly, although I would contend that it is close enough.

We do have that setting in Emby, so yes, we already do have some of this data. To be honest though I would love to get to a point where we could remove that and didn't need the setting at all, but we will see.

• 4 months later...
erikblues

Yes you're right it wouldn't match exactly, although I would contend that it is close enough.

We do have that setting in Emby, so yes, we already do have some of this data. To be honest though I would love to get to a point where we could remove that and didn't need the setting at all, but we will see.

I think users don’t want personal data to be collected. Hardware info doesn’t seem important or personal in any useful or meaning way.

That’s why I don’t think anyone would mind having a visual representation of number of devices in use and most used brands/models.

I think it could even give us a much stronger sense of the community, seeing how many people use the system and which devices work best.

PS: reviving this post because I’m looking at new devices again, and I’m always unsure if it would work well with emby, and don’t want to spend hours searching the forums to find out “which device is currently working best”.

Would still love this feature :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the feature, but i feel in today's climate with user concerns about data collection and privacy, that we can actually help ourselves and our users more by collecting less.

Yes collecting hardware information is harmless, but it's nice to able to say that we collect nothing, which is the direction that we're trying to head in.

The app stores give us a pretty good breakdown of reporting information, so for example we wanted to see percentage of android installs coming from Pixel phones, we can do things like that.

• Like 1