Hardware Recommendations

jmassaro87

jmassaro87

Hey All, been using Emby since the Media Browser for WMC days and am looking for a recommendation on the best setup.

I am currently using a PC that runs both server and theater. Was using a PCI tuner card, but recently switched to a HDHomerun COnnet for my antenna and live tv. I am thinking about also switching to the Smasung Smart TV app. The PC it self is becoming dated, it functioned as my BR player as well, but with UHD coming into full swing it is becoming obsolete. so thinking about maybe switching it over to a NAS style machine or possibly buying a NAS to host my media. 

What is the most IDEAL "Perfect Setup" if there is one for best performance/video/audio playback? Playback is on Samsung 65MU8000 UHD Smart TV. AUdio: Bose SoundTouch 300 with wireless Acoustimass 300 and wireless Virtually invisible surround speakers.

Any recommendations on turning this thing into a nas? hardware requirements? 

Current Setup

Windows 10pro

i7 - 2700K QuadCore 3.5 GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

dont recall model of GPU, but nothing fancy believe 2GB ram

mastrmind11

You're going to get a billion different responses on this topic (and there are several others just like it).  However, the most important question you have to answer irt this topic is will you ever have the need to transcode your media?  If all your media is direct stream/play capable and you never plan on streaming outside your home, you can run Emby on a cheap PC/rPi loaded up w/ a bunch of HDDs.  But if you need to transcode, then you're getting into the realm of CPU/GPU combos, extra RAM, etc, which is where you're going to get the billions of opinions.  Spend a few minutes searching the forums, esp under the Hardware section.  There are multiple threads about this topic, and you'll be able to figure out which way to go after answering the transcode question and reading those topics.  

TL;DR, there's no 1 way to do it, depending on your needs/environment/budget.

• Like 1

iamspartacus

The only way to provide hardware recommendations is to have info on transcoding needs. How many clients will be accessing this server at once and how many will require transcoding?

jmassaro87

You're going to get a billion different responses on this topic (and there are several others just like it).  However, the most important question you have to answer irt this topic is will you ever have the need to transcode your media?  If all your media is direct stream/play capable and you never plan on streaming outside your home, you can run Emby on a cheap PC/rPi loaded up w/ a bunch of HDDs.  But if you need to transcode, then you're getting into the realm of CPU/GPU combos, extra RAM, etc, which is where you're going to get the billions of opinions.  Spend a few minutes searching the forums, esp under the Hardware section.  There are multiple threads about this topic, and you'll be able to figure out which way to go after answering the transcode question and reading those topics.  

TL;DR, there's no 1 way to do it, depending on your needs/environment/budget.

Thanks. So the main use is within the home. But, i do have it shared with a friend who uses it ocassionally, and i have also used it while travelling. So realistically, do i need transcoding for outside of the home use, not really, but if im going to set this thing up, I'd like to do it right so im not rushing later to get it right, or disappointed when something doesnt work. 95% of my media is BR rips, then there will also be DVR recordings as well. As far as budget, lets just say it should be wife approved. SO not crazy but im ok with spending a little bit of money.

jmassaro87

The only way to provide hardware recommendations is to have info on transcoding needs. How many clients will be accessing this server at once and how many will require transcoding?

in what scenarios will transcoding be an issue or be required? 90% inside the home use with occasional outside viewing. at the moment never more than 2 devices connected at once (one in home, one remote) and that would be a rare occasion.

iamspartacus

in what scenarios will transcoding be an issue or be required? 90% inside the home use with occasional outside viewing. at the moment never more than 2 devices connected at once (one in home, one remote) and that would be a rare occasion.

Transcoding has nothing to do with local vs. remote streaming unless you limit WAN streaming bitrate.  What determines transcoding is between the client and the file being streamed.  If your clients can direct play the type of files you're streaming natively, then transcoding isn't necessary.  This is really a case by case basis and you need to watch your server while playing certain files to determine if they are being transcoded.

Guest asrequested

There are multiple reasons why your media might be transcoded. As you do have a user outside of your network, you should be prepared for that. A new i3 will probably get you through. They are pretty cheap. An i5 if you want to hedge your bets.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Transcoding has nothing to do with local vs. remote streaming unless you limit WAN streaming bitrate. What determines transcoding is between the client and the file being streamed. If your clients can direct play the type of files you're streaming natively, then transcoding isn't necessary. This is really a case by case basis and you need to watch your server while playing certain files to determine if they are being transcoded.

That's not strictly true. If the remote users bandwidth is lower than media bitrate, it will be transcoded. Not to mention your upload bandwidth. If that is lower than the bitrate of the media, then transcoding will also occur. The reasons for transcoding are variable, and it would wise to prepare for worst case scenario.

Edited by Doofus

iamspartacus

That's not strictly true. If the remote users bandwidth is lower than media bitrate, it will be transcoded.

Yes, hence the following line in my response:  "What determines transcoding is between the client and the file being streamed."

Edited by iamspartacus

Guest asrequested

Yes, hence the following line in my response: "What determines transcoding is between the client and the file being streamed."

I thought that needed more explanation. There are quite a few reasons why transcoding is required.

CBers

I hate transcoded/remuxed playback, so take steps to defer it as much as possible.

I would say 99.99% of my playback is Directly Streamed.

CBers

He's gonna be streaming Blu-ray movies to a remote user. Transcoding is enevitable.

Are BluRay rips still experimental, or are they fully supported now?

Are BluRay rips still experimental, or are they fully supported now?

Folder rip transcoding is experimental.

Guest asrequested

And it's not just that they are folder rips (though we don't know for sure that they are), it's the high bitrate. A good question at this point would be to ask what his upload bandwidth is? I suspect it may not support such high bitrates.

Edited by Doofus

jmassaro87

And it's not just that they are folder rips (though we don't know for sure that they are), it's the high bitrate. A good question at this point would be to ask what his upload bandwidth is? I suspect it may not support such high bitrates.

I am using cable internet. 100mbps down/10mbps up.

Unsure whether they are considered "folder rips" or not. they are all MKV or MP4 files.

Edited by jmassaro87

Guest asrequested

I am using cable internet. 100mbps down/10mbps up.

Unsure whether they are considered "folder rips" or not. they are all MKV or MP4 files.

So they aren't folder rips. That's a good thing. If you haven't compressed them lower than 10Mb/s they will transcode, regardless of what device you use or download bandwidth.

Guest asrequested

So if you are travelling and watching, and your buddy is watching, you have two transcodes happening. Also, if you choose to transcode live TV recordings, that will be done by the CPU. So a safe recommendation would be a new i5, and enable hardware transcoding in the server.

• Like 1

jmassaro87

Thanks guys, i think for the time being i am going to use the app on my TV. installed it last night, and holy smokes! easy for one, but it greatly improved my picture quality since i think the tv is able to do the upscaling to 4k whereas my computer is not capable.

• 2 weeks later...

So if you are travelling and watching, and your buddy is watching, you have two transcodes happening. Also, if you choose to transcode live TV recordings, that will be done by the CPU. So a safe recommendation would be a new i5, and enable hardware transcoding in the server.

Won't most mp4 or mkv files likely play with directplay? Or will going over the wan automatically transcode?

Guest asrequested

Won't most mp4 or mkv files likely play with directplay? Or will going over the wan automatically transcode?

The containers have little impact. Those two are well supported. In this particular scenario, his movie files exceed his upload bandwidth. That will cause transcoding, regardless of any other considerations. The server will then create a stream that will be 100% compatible with the device being used. His upload bandwidth is 10Mb/s. If a movie is less than that, it won't transcoded due to bandwidth, and then other factors will be considered, such as codec, container etc.