Sharing media between two theaters

Bacon13

Hello

A buddy and I are trying to have a shared collection of movies between us. That way each of us could upload new movies to the server and each of us access it from the server and display it on our screens in all its glory.

I've been reading about MB3 and can't figure out if it will work for us.  So each of us plan on having a HTPC and one of us will have the server on site, while the other would access it remotely.  Is that something that would work?  Or would I need to access the server remotely through a browser?

Thanks

Yea right now it will work but a couple of our HTPC clients have not fully fleshed out internet streaming yet.

For example, with MBC and MBT, you'll have no problem doing this and browsing the library, but playback won't be reliable yet. You might have better luck with our XBMB3C client but @@xnappo can comment.

Of course, all of our mobile, tablet and Roku apps will work perfectly fine in this scenario. MBC and MBT will as well, it's just on the to do list.

xnappo

XBMB3C may work - depends on your bandwidth.  

I will be adding transcoding options this weekend.

xnappo

The key will be upstream bandwidth from the machine that has the server.  Most residential packages are severely limited on the upstream side.  I would think you'd need at least 10Mb up.  I have 5MB and I don't think it could handle full HD streams.

xnappo

Note that I do know some crazy people using ISP hosting systems to do this sort of thing :D

xnappo

Well the true answer here is any bandwidth, because we can transcode on the fly and reduce the size as needed.

Who knows how accurate this is, but I did one of the online tests and came up with 20MB down and 5MB up.

JeremyFr79

Who knows how accurate this is, but I did one of the online tests and came up with 20MB down and 5MB up.

You're not going to get full quality with that up, as others have said you want a minimum of 10-15mbps up to play HD in good quality, I'd recommend at least 25mbps myself just to have good overhead for other tasks at the same time.  The other problem you'll run into is running a secure connection, Something like OpenVPN would work but then you're talking about building yourself something like a PfSense Gateway/Firewall to run this well.