why 40Mbps max only on appleTV

mata7

mata7

Why is a limit of 40Mbps only on the apple tv, all my 4k rips are much more then that

thanks

mata7

i dont know what do you want me to tell you, because there is a 40 mbps limit that we dont need it this days, apletv can handle full 4k rips mbps so why is the need to cap at 40, i dont know what to tell you  

Edited by mata7

Spaceboy

Luke isn’t very good at speaking to actual humans. What he means is:

You are wrong, in his opinion there is no limit on bit rate. Can you explain what error or message is making you think it’s limited

• Like 2

adrianwi

Not sure about the Apple TV 4K, but the previous aTV4 (1080p) only has a 10/100 Network Adapter, although that wouldn't explain a perceived 40 mbps limit.  

That said, I can't remember the last time I saw any buffering on my aTV4.

corey

Not sure about the Apple TV 4K, but the previous aTV4 (1080p) only has a 10/100 Network Adapter, although that wouldn't explain a perceived 40 mbps limit.  

That said, I can't remember the last time I saw any buffering on my aTV4.

The Apple TV 4K has a gigabit ethernet adapter.

corey

Why is a limit of 40Mbps only on the apple tv, all my 4k rips are much more then that

thanks

@@mata7 --

The Apple TV app does not have a 40Mbps limit. By default the setting is set to Auto and the application does an automatic bit-rate check to determine what it can support under the current network conditions. With that said if you want to change it to something other than Auto the highest value is 40Mbps.

Does that help clarify how the application works? If not, please let me know.

mata7

i dont know guys, like i say all my 4k rip have more than 40mbps, i this point i just dont see the point of having a 40mbps cap anymore, anyways thanks for the help

corey

@@mata7

Like I said the app isn’t capped at 40Mbps. Are you specifically looking to NOT use the Auto option and want something higher than 40Mbps?

mata7

so you say that if i play a 60 or 70mbps file, the server wont transcode it because of excessive bitrate, and yes if i could select 100mbps manual like i can with oders apps that would be great

corey

so you say that if i play a 60 or 70mbps file, the server wont transcode it because of excessive bitrate, and yes if i could select 100mbps manual like i can with oders apps that would be great

It shouldn’t if the setting is at Auto. If it is transcoding can you provide the server and ffmpeg logs please?

mata7

there is no point now because emby wont direct play full rip mkv hevc on the appletv 4k, i was just curios why the 40 mbps limit, again thanks for you help

• 5 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

If you're using 4k pirated rips, you should be using something OTHER than an Apple TV to play them as an Apple TV will not natively play the streams properly.  I'd suggest a Shield or something else.  Apple TV is a horrible 4k device and anyone who buys it for that should be taken out back and shot.  Sorry, that's the truth.

corey

We’re working on a custom player so 4K support should hopefully improve over the limited formats that Apple supports in their native player.

mata7

If you're using 4k pirated rips, you should be using something OTHER than an Apple TV to play them as an Apple TV will not natively play the streams properly.  I'd suggest a Shield or something else.  Apple TV is a horrible 4k device and anyone who buys it for that should be taken out back and shot.  Sorry, that's the truth.

first is no pirated rips, 2 apple tv play Full 4K Rips just fine with MrMC and infuse player, in my opinion apple tv 4k is a great box