Shield can't play some 4k HDR movies

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Ooh, really bad. But not for me [emoji3]

You are also on Oreo?

Nougat. But as I get the same thing with my GTX 1050, it would appear this is Nvidia, not Android.

pünktchen

Nougat. But as I get the same thing with my GTX 1050, it would appear this is Nvidia, not Android.

If it's working for me, then it's not Nvidia nor Android! What's your display setting on the shield?

PenkethBoy

Initially i could not get the sample to play at all - and even getting emby to transcode - made ffmpeg choke

So

I put the sample through MKVToolNix and removed the vobsub stream and emby can play it fine via Web App and the Shield Nougat

No picture breakup - plays all the way through fine.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

If it's working for me, then it's not Nvidia nor Android! What's your display setting on the shield?

So why does it no play with cuda on with my GTX 1050, and does with everything else. Even on the shield with other apps, it plays. Just not with ExoPlayer

Initially i could not get the sample to play at all - and even getting emby to transcode - made ffmpeg choke

So

I put the sample through MKVToolNix and removed the vobsub stream and emby can play it fine via Web App and the Shield Nougat

No picture breakup - plays all the way through fine.

AH! Nice! I hadn't thought about the subs. Groovy! I'll try it right now.

Guest asrequested

Alas no, false hope. I sliced off another piece, this time keeping it mkv and removing all the subs and leaving one audio track. No bueno. But I did remux the mp4 file, back to mkv and removed the sub. That seemed to work. 

CUDA still choked on everything, in the HTPC. So my report to Nvidia still stands.

For those who want to test further. Here's the file that was sliced off and has only the video and audio.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Ok, this is weird. The pieces I've sliced off, now have the same issue with nvdec-copy. And PDVD also has the same problem with it. In fact, nothing I have will play it. I did a straight copy, and removal. So it may be a mux issue, after all?????

Waldonnis

I found several references of ExoPlayer having problems with files that used (zlib) header compression for one or more of its tracks (especially subtitles, apparently).  Without seeing the original file, it's hard to tell if that's in play here, though.

Nothing in the encoding settings looked odd to me at first glance.  Out of curiosity, are all of the problematic files cropped like this one to remove the letterboxing?  It's probably a driver/blob bug, though.  Some of the artifacts look like prior/unallocated memory content.  I'm wondering if it's trying to decode an entire buffer that was allocated but not totally filled from the content (which would be a facedesk-worthy bug).

Guest asrequested

I found several references of ExoPlayer having problems with files that used (zlib) header compression for one or more of its tracks (especially subtitles, apparently).  Without seeing the original file, it's hard to tell if that's in play here, though.

Nothing in the encoding settings looked odd to me at first glance.  Out of curiosity, are all of the problematic files cropped like this one to remove the letterboxing?  It's probably a driver/blob bug, though.  Some of the artifacts look like prior/unallocated memory content.  I'm wondering if it's trying to decode an entire buffer that was allocated but not totally filled from the content (which would be a facedesk-worthy bug).

None of them have the letterboxing, but some of them are full 16:9. I just tried playing the mp4 again, and it played fine. So I'm remuxing the entire movie to mp4 without subs, to see what the result is.

Waldonnis

None of them have the letterboxing, but some of them are full 16:9. I just tried playing the mp4 again, and it played fine. So I'm remuxing the entire movie to mp4 without subs, to see what the result is.

That should oust any header compression, since I don't think mp4 supports the same types of compression that Matroska does.

If some of the misbehaving files are full-frame 2160p, then my partial theory doesn't really apply I guess  :P  Not sure why it seems to be dragging in other frames' (or unrelated) data, though...probably a CUDA driver issue or an implementation bug.

Guest asrequested

That should oust any header compression, since I don't think mp4 supports the same types of compression that Matroska does.

If some of the misbehaving files are full-frame 2160p, then my partial theory doesn't really apply I guess  :P  Not sure why it seems to be dragging in other frames' (or unrelated) data, though...probably a CUDA driver issue or an implementation bug.

It's a headscratcher. DVDfab doesn't seem to be able to complete the remux. It chokes at 99% (22.6 GB). I'm at a loss to pinpoint what's happening.

Waldonnis

It's a headscratcher. DVDfab doesn't seem to be able to complete the remux. It chokes at 99% (22.6 GB). I'm at a loss to pinpoint what's happening.

Try it with ffmpeg directly, since it'll be more descriptive.  If you just want the video and audio with no subs, it should be as easy as:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -map v -map a -c copy output.mkv

Guest asrequested

I have never used ffmpeg from the command line. And just change mkv to mp4?

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

I have never used ffmpeg from the command line. And just change mkv to mp4?

Yup, should be no problem:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -map v -map a -c copy output.mp4

Just to explain what it's doing....

The -map option tells it which streams in the file to include for processing.  -map v tells it to include all video streams, -map a includes all audio streams, and since we don't want subs, we purposely don't map them (if we wanted them too, we'd add -map s).  The -c copy tells it to copy everything, or in this case, everything we specified with the -map options.  This is pretty much the easiest command line to construct since we just want every stream of specific types (all audio/video) and are just copying everything (yay remux).  It gets more complicated when you want to map only specific streams or transcode/manipulate certain streams while not touching others, but you get used to it.

Oh, and if you wanted a total remux that includes all streams, you can just use one mapping: -map 0 , which includes every stream present in the (first) input file.

Edited by Waldonnis

Guest asrequested

So just put the ffmpeg.exe in the same folder as the movie and run the command line in that location? I just grabbed the latest zeranoe build. Total noob at this :)

Waldonnis

So just put the ffmpeg.exe in the same folder as the movie and run the command line in that location? I just grabbed the latest zeranoe build. Total noob at this :)

Yup, or put it somewhere in the path...or call it directly with the path.  You could even use Emby's with the APPDATA user environment variable if you haven't relocated your Emby install, like so:

%appdata%\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -map v -map a -c copy output.mp4

I use ffmpeg and other such commands so much that I just added my media utility directory (where I put all of those binaries) to the system path a while ago.  If I want to test a different build instead, I just shove it in the same directory as where I'm working or call it like above if I want to use Emby's.

Guest asrequested

I'm not in the right headspace for this, at the moment. I'll maybe try it, later. Thanks, though.

Guest asrequested

mp4 wouldn't work, so I shoved it in a .ts container. It didn't change the playback. Nvidia have asked for a sample, so I sent it to them.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, and I just got another movie with the same issue

And to clarify what I mean by mp4 wouldn't work. ffmpeg couldn't do it

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

Yeah, and I just got another movie with the same issue

And to clarify what I mean by mp4 wouldn't work. ffmpeg couldn't do it

Okay, now that's downright strange.  Wondering if these files are malformed or damaged somehow.  Any error coughed up by ffmpeg?  Worst case, you can add -v debug to the ffmpeg command and it'll spit out all kinds of detail as to what it's doing (or use -report, which will create a text file with the output instead of logging it to stdout).

Guest asrequested

Okay, now that's downright strange.  Wondering if these files are malformed or damaged somehow.  Any error coughed up by ffmpeg?  Worst case, you can add -v debug to the ffmpeg command and it'll spit out all kinds of detail as to what it's doing (or use -report, which will create a text file with the output instead of logging it to stdout).

This is what it says at the end

[mp4 @ 0000029bc7ffcc00] Could not find tag for codec truehd in stream #1, codec not currently supported in container
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
    Last message repeated 1 times
Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

Oh, okay.  mp4 can't hold TrueHD streams, so that's what's happening there.

Looking at the mediainfo you posted before, you can map the lossy (AC-3) track instead just as a test (just change -map a to -map 0:2 and use the original file as the input; 0:2 means the third stream in the input file, which should be the AC-3 track).

Also, if you just want to nab a segment of the file rather than the whole thing, you can add a -t <secs> to the command (or -to <time>) to only nab X seconds (or up until the time given in -to).  For example, if you just wanted the first minute, you can either add -t 60 or -to 01:00 and it'll stop after it hits that mark (I prefer using -t, but that's mostly habit and I often know the number of seconds from frame timestamps anyway).

Guest asrequested

I'm remuxing the new one .ts, right now. Just to see what happens 

meh! No change. It's in Nvidia's hands

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

I'm remuxing the new one .ts, right now. Just to see what happens 

meh! No change. It's in Nvidia's hands

Yeah, probably for the best, especially since it seems so inconsistent, and there's nothing that jumped out and slapped me about the encoding settings (not far from my own generic settings, actually).  On the plus side, you dipped a toe into the ffmpeg pool now, so at least something was gained out of it.