Transcodes without need

neik

neik

Hi guys,

With the "Allow video playback that requires transcoding" flag in the user policy activated Emby starts to transcode stuff which prior to the change were played directly. You find attached an excerpt of the server log and the ffmpeg report.

My server is running the 3.4.1.11 beta and the clients are all up-to-date. The FTVS was on .88a and went to 1.6.00a yesterday but the issue persists.

I think this is all, anything you might need just let me know.

Thanks!

€dit: Opened a separate topic for the LiveTV issue -> https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59767-livetv-issue-unable-to-tune-channel/

Sorry, for the confusion!

ffmpeg-directstream-b978e9f8-4a18-45ed-ac0d-cd99c88ef8c0.txt

transcode_server-log.txt

Edited by neik

Hi.

It isn't transcoding, it is simply doing a container swap because, as indicated by the message you received, the .ts container is not fully supported on the device.  This should use very little resources on your server.

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

It should work if you just allow remuxing.

neik

Hi,

@@ebr, are you referring to the the LiveTV part or the "normal" stream?

If you are referring to the stream, then my question would be: Why does it need to swap anything at all? If I force it to stream the file directly then it does it flawlessly.

The streamed file isn't an .ts file but a .mkv file. It might not be transcoding but nevertheless to me the file seems to be handled differently without need.

Out of curiosity: How do I allow remux only? Can't find that option, only the transcoding one.

@@Luke, because in the user policy I allowed "Allow video playback that requires transcoding" which I usally do not allow (because not needed) and then this started to happen.

I think you're mixing two questions here and that's making it a little confusing. The live TV log you showed us is not transcoding.

neik

Yes, you are right I was mixing both issues.

I am gonna split this into 2 topics it might be easier to follow up.

A bit more information for you:

I played the file once again once with "Allow video playback that require transcoding" activated and once without it and then took a screenshot of the stats for nerds on the FTVS - see attachment!

Tbh, I do not get why it is remuxing the file (reason: Not supported video format) instead of direct playing what it apparently is able to do!

I am not sure if it is a FTVS problem only or if other Apps are suffering the same issue. Will test Emby for Android and Emby Theater later on.

Thanks!

post-245525-0-64184700-1528475844_thumb.png

post-245525-0-19158500-1528475851_thumb.png

Edited by neik

This is one of the new Fire TV sticks?

It may be related to the fact that they are running a different version of the OS than all other FTVs and are also the only ones that support DTS (I think).

I recently picked one up and will have to do some testing.

Thanks.

neik

No, it's not the latest FTV it is the second Gen FTV Stick (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-With-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00ZV9RDKK) I am using.

I had a look at the server dashboard while streaming and there it tells me that the media is in a incompatible file container (see screenshot). This doesn't make much sense because I can direct stream the file (if forced) without remuxing.

I tried this with a different client (Emby Theater (UWP), Win10) and it was doing exactly the same as with the FTVS.

post-245525-0-94425800-1528531690_thumb.png

Since your original post was mixing two issues and I'm not sure what information goes with which issue, can we get a clean set of information for this specific problem please?  If you will also send a log from the app (instructions in the how to report a problem post) and then post the server and ffmpeg logs from that same session (as well as the other information requested about the app log) then we can be sure we're looking at all the proper info.

Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

neik

Hi ebr,

sure, I can provide that!

Just to be sure what you want: Do you also need a log of the App when it direct stream or only while remuxing?

Thanks!

Both would be good but please be sure to give me specific times to identify which is which.

Thanks.

neik

Hi ebr,

Direct stream:

- What did I do: I restarted the server and afterwards the FTVS then started the file (TMNT (2007).mkv) and let it play for about one minute.

- Time: 23:37

- User: Patrick

Remux:

- What did I do: Same as above only difference is I activated "Allow video playback that requires transcoding" and "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding".

- Time: 23:44

- User: Patrick

Server and ffmpeg logs are attached. Hope this is what you were asking for.

Thanks!

embyserver_remux.txt

remux_ffmpeg-directstream-2344963d-98ed-4d45-8cb9-5b3009ec2558.txt

embyserver-directstream.txt

Okay, from the app's perspective, the server is telling it this item must transcode because neither the video nor audio are supported.

I'm sure this ties back to the probing error that is occurring on the server.  With no probe information, it is assuming it is not supported so that we're sure it will play.

Edit:  Wait, the probe error is with the live TV...  On this one, I don't know what is going on.  When we ask the server how to play this it says that both video and audio are not compatible.  But then, it does a straight re-mux stream copying both of them...  :blink:

Looking closer at the logs, I believe what should be happening is the audio should be getting converted to AC3 (DD).

When you force it to direct play this, it only produces stereo audio, right?

neik

Hi ebr,

it seems to me that your assumption is correct. While remuxing my TV says it's receiving AC3 audio and during direct play it seems to be simple stereo (downmixed).

Given that, the FTVS (2nd Gen) does not support DTS - it must downmix it to stereo - this is the behaviour we would expect, right?

What I am wondering is that it shows AC3 although it is just remuxing the file, I would assume the audio tracks needs to be transcoded from DTS -> AC3?!

If your ultimate audio output device is just the TV speakers, you may wish to set the Audio option in the app settings to "Downmix to Stereo".  This will minimize the use of the server for conversion as we will be able to convert most formats to stereo in the app.

neik

No, it is not. Usually I use my headphones (Sony MDR-DS6500, decodes AC3 and DTS).

Still, I will try that out to see how it behaves and report back. ;-)

€dit: Apparently, you are right! Activating "Downmix to Stereo" is a workaround to this issue. I could direct stream a couple of files now that were remuxing before. 

Edited by neik