LiveTV issue: Unable to tune channel

neik

neik

Hi guys,

I have been playing around with the LiveTV function of Emby and ran into some issues.

My user is only allowed to directly play media so that transcoding is avoided at all costs which hasn't been an issue till now.

Firstly, I tried the LiveTV function using the WebInterface, then the Emby Theater (UWP), then Emby for Android (old Nexus 4) and finally on a FTVS where I ran into problems. The FTVS always tells me that it was unable to to tune the channel and that there may not be enough tuners and it doesn't matter what settings I choose in the LiveTV section (e.g. Exo vs Mvp)

The server log show and "Error probing live tv stream" - see attachment.

The only way to solve this for some channels (couldn't find a pattern here) is to activate the transcode in the user policy but then the stream is transcoded (IIRC: Container not supported) although it shouldn't. The video is in h264 and the audio a simple aac stereo and that the FTVS is able to open.

If more information is needed then just let me know.

Thanks!

embyserver-63664052631.txt

neik

I don't think so because I can simultaneously stream to one the mentioned clients (Emby Theater, Emby for Android, WebClient) and get this error as soon as I try to stream it.

For testing purposes I installed the latest Emby for AndroidTV on my Nexus 4 and can reproduce the error I am having with the FTVS.

Try the url that is showing up in the server log file. Try putting it in a browser. It could be a bad url.

neik

If I copy the link and put it in Edge it just plays fine. No issues at all.

The list I am using is just a collection of public TV channels in Germany which are free and available to everybody (besides those that are geoblocked). Just in case you want to play with it you can find it over here: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thread/56713-Kodinerds-IPTV-Fertige-Liste-mit-freien-IPTV-Kan%C3%A4len/?postID=381328#a-ee333d278c

Thanks!

neik

Hmm.. Where are you getting this error? While accessing the page?

I logged out the site and can still see the list where it says "Links zu den Listen". The links themselves are put in spoilers.

neik

Well, the only explanation I have is you are being geoblocked because for me it's working flawlessly with Edge (see screenshot) and other clients. I assume you are outside Germany, Switzerland, Austria?

I wouldn't mind testing a channel we both can stream but I do not know where I could find one. Do you know one?

post-245525-0-83458600-1528618437_thumb.png

Edited by neik

neik

Correct! WebClient, Emby Theater (UWP) on Win10 and Emby for Android on a Nexus 4 are working flawlessly while the FTVS is causing issues.

Yes, please produce the problem and then send the log from the app and post the relevant info here.

Thanks.

neik

Hi ebr,

- What I did: I restarted the server and afterwards the FTVS to get cleaner logs. Then I tried to stream a few channels and got the "Unable to tune channel. There may not be tuners available" (or similar) error message. Afterwards I activated the "Prefer MVP player" in the App and tried again with the same result.

- Time: 09.22

- User: Patrick

After this I allowed the transcode options in the user policy, restarted the server and the FTVS and retried the same channels again. Two of them now got remuxed and opened the last one I tried still didn't open I got this error twice: "Playback Error? Is the current item exhibiting a playback problem like no video or audio?" and the third time this error appeared I got this "Too many errors. Giving up" and it went back to the channel overview.

- Time: 09:51

Attached are all the logs the server created during this process, those marked with transcode at the beginning are part of the second try.

I hope this is what you were asking for. :-)

Thanks!

embyserver_direct_livetv.txt

embyserver_trancsode.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-directstream-1c0f38c3-a6fe-4d9f-b9ee-68ec81bffc4e.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-0ff577c4-5954-43c2-baac-f64b6ee3dea3.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-35ee6041-7cc5-4905-824a-596065ad0a87.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-86ed503b-ee1a-4990-bdbb-0f2b5316c66a.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-799a0f2c-2a71-4e56-949f-7af3fa90c879.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-901f7753-6ea3-4ed3-a8e5-a0ab614a5c2a.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-1251fbb1-554d-4bcb-afd8-8b18ca657713.txt

transcode_ffmpeg-transcode-35801844-98ad-4aac-b1a5-1efeb88028c3.txt

Okay, you have the Direct Stream Live TV option in the app turned OFF yet are disallowing transcoding on the server.  Can you please try turning the direct stream option ON?

Thanks.

neik

Yes, that's right! Nevertheless, I have already tried every possible combination of the options under "LiveTV" and none worked.

Anyways, I just sent you a new log with direct stream and prefer MVP activated.

- Time: 18:49

Thanks!

Okay, this is a remote stream we are dealing with here, correct?  Meaning it is not coming from an actual TV tuner on your network...?

neik

Correct! These are streams that were made public by some of the broadcasters in Germany (not all offer this service), everyone that is not geoblocked can access them for free (and legally in case it matters).

Edited by neik

Okay, and it is still throwing the probe error on the server?

From the app's perspective, we are not getting a valid url for the content (it is null).  Probably due to the probe error.

neik

Yes... At least to some channels other just do not open but there also isn't an error log on the server.

Attached is an excerpt (sorry, can't create a clean log right now - hope this helps) of the server log when I tried to play three channels: Anixe HD, Arte HD, 3sat

Only the last one caused the probe error while the others just didn't play. According to the server log they got closed instantly.

All of them showed the "Unable to tune..." error on the FTVS while they would play on other clients.

€dit: Just installed Emby for Android TV on my Nexus 4 and there I am having the same issues as with the FTVS. Gonna test it tomorrow on a Android Box.

embyserver_excerpt.txt

Edited by neik

Yes... At least to some channels other just do not open but there also isn't an error log on the server.

Attached is an excerpt (sorry, can't create a clean log right now - hope this helps) of the server log when I tried to play three channels: Anixe HD, Arte HD, 3sat

Only the last one caused the probe error while the others just didn't play. According to the server log they got closed instantly.

All of them showed the "Unable to tune..." error on the FTVS while they would play on other clients.

€dit: Just installed Emby for Android TV on my Nexus 4 and there I am having the same issues as with the FTVS. Gonna test it tomorrow on a Android Box.

Just to confirm that I understand properly, if you allow transcoding on the server, do these same channels play?

neik

Some of them do - couldn't find a pattern.

For instance, AnixeHD and ArteHD stream with transcoding allowed while 3sat still does not play.

Edited by neik