Movies List constantly flashes

TheClaus

With the latest Roku Beta 3 v88 it appears to make the Flashing issue worse, flashing even on the Home screen. Again this is only on the Roku EXPRESS  not the Roku 3.

Hi.  I believe this is coincidental as nothing in the app has changed in this area.

Unfortunately, unless you are running the beta server, we can't see the information we need to in the server log right now either.

servingjoy51

I had an intel xeon server running emby. I noticed this issue on one of the roku first, then it spread to other rokus. The screen was flashing at the top of the IPTV list, but not on the bottom.

So i started my emby on an AMD machine (12 cores) thinking its an Intel xeon problem. The same issue recurring on same Roku's. Some Roku's dont have any problem at all in the same time. I had no issues when running 3.3.1.0, it all started when i upgraded to 3.4.1.0.

i have no issues while playing any content.

• Like 1

madpink

in the meantime, is there a way to disable the background images?  or is it possible to just delete them (would that make a difference)?

in the meantime, is there a way to disable the background images?  or is it possible to just delete them (would that make a difference)?

The background is not necessarily the problem.  Any image on the screen that ends up being sent over at full size will probably cause this problem.

samuelqwe

In my case, this only seems to happen when hovering over Live TV thumbnails, as well as anything else that isn’t a show or a movie. For example, the settings icon will cause flickering, but a movie will display everything normally. The same thing happens with play buttons, favourite buttons, etc... but not any show or movie thumbnails.

EDIT: The behaviour is super inconsistent, my Roku will now only flicker on media, and not on system icons on the home screen. At some point, it even glitched the whole OS and no images were loading on the entire Roku.

Edited by samuelqwe

• 2 weeks later...
servingjoy51

Emby for Roku got updated to 3.0.91, made the flickering/flashing 10 times worse. It is now in the homescreen too, Cant even look at it. previously the flashing was upto the point where we can browse, now it feels like eye damaging for me. I fear it will damage the display. For now using emby neon.

Is there any working alternatives, because emby neon is not that user-friendly.

Emby for Roku got updated to 3.0.91, made the flickering/flashing 10 times worse. It is now in the homescreen too, Cant even look at it. previously the flashing was upto the point where we can browse, now it feels like eye damaging for me. I fear it will damage the display. For now using emby neon.

Is there any working alternatives, because emby neon is not that user-friendly.

What happens if you turn off the option to show backgrounds while browsing?

servingjoy51

What happens if you turn off the option to show backgrounds while browsing?

Hi Ebr

Did you mean, the backdrops in display settings. I am not familiar with turning off backgrounds other than that.

lbermud

I'm having the same problem.  New setup and as soon as I added all my media from my pc and opened emby on roku the screen constantly flashes.  Waiting for a fix.

samuelqwe

While I don't develop for Roku (but I do have some programming knowledge), I decided to dig into the Roku SDK page to see anything that could be useful. I found two pages that could help diagnose or resolve the issues:

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Poster

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Texture+Memory

The second link also describes that a common reason for images flickering is by using too much texture memory, and they also describe a way to diagnose this. It could also be helpful to check code in the image rendering parts of the app to make sure that everything is typed correctly, as typos are notorious of breaking simple app functions.

Once again, I don't develop for Roku, but found that these pages might be useful in finding a solution to the problem.

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

Please try the latest beta version (3.0.95) to see if it helps.

It seems to stop flickering on some items now, but the rest still flickers as before. It only seems to flicker when a movie poster (and some specific thumbnails) are visible on the home screen. On any other screen, there seems to be flickering no matter what.

EDIT: Sometimes moving lists around to show different images on the screen can stop the flickering. For example, I click on a movie and it flickers, but if one movie the cast over by a few people and scroll back up, it stops flickering.

Edited by samuelqwe

jmassaro87

Just got a roku express today and got it setup. Had the flickering, the beta seems to have fixed it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to stop flickering on some items now, but the rest still flickers as before. It only seems to flicker when a movie poster (and some specific thumbnails) are visible on the home screen. On any other screen, there seems to be flickering no matter what.

EDIT: Sometimes moving lists around to show different images on the screen can stop the flickering. For example, I click on a movie and it flickers, but if one movie the cast over by a few people and scroll back up, it stops flickering.

On what OS is your server?  Can you please turn on debug logging on the server, restart the server, then create the problem on the Roku and post the server log?

samuelqwe

On what OS is your server? Can you please turn on debug logging on the server, restart the server, then create the problem on the Roku and post the server log?

My server is running on LibreELEC (Linux) on a Raspberry Pi. I realize that the Pi is not the most powerful device for the job, but there used to be no flickering at all. Also, it is running the .Net Core version on the latest beta.

I have enabled debug loggin on the server, and I’ll send a log when I get a chance to go on my Roku Stick.

Okay, please provide the log when you can.  My suspicion is some of the image resize operations on the server are failing and causing full-sized images to be sent to the Roku - which would blow out the image memory very quickly.