Emby Theatre - suggestions revolving around external player usage

blei

Guest asrequested

If the sub gets renamed, then it won't play. It has to be the same as the video, or it will be disregarded. 

Edited by Doofus

No.. that is not how sub files work. Even it if is, I already said I renamed it to match the name of the video. No dice on either cases. Once again I feel like this is an issue with Emby running on Docker.

OK, well, you haven't done what I've asked you to do. So I can't help you, further.

I very clearly followed your instructions. What step did I miss exactly?

On side note, I've installed the emby RPM directly onto my server (CentOS), added the same video + sub files, and still no dice. So perhaps it's more of a Linux issue? Unsure really.

Guest asrequested

Try this. Here's link to a zip file I made. It has a portable mpv and your video + sub. Unzip it anywhere. Run mpv.exe, drop the video on it. DO NOT DROP THE SUB ON IT. Does the sub, play? In the overlay, bottom right corner, you'll see the option for the subs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QaNk6lOCRyJrFO5thfyPkijzU6K1JD_9/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Doofus

The subtitles do show with that version of the subtitles. Similarly the Emby Theater version of mpv is also able to play the same dragged video with subtitles.

But the "Stream.ass", once renamed to match the name of the video + placed next to the video file, does not show the subtitles on either versions of mpv.

Maybe something messed up about my PC. Maybe about time to reformat it.

Odd enough on second attempts using MPC to play the original video + subtitles... it doesn't show subtitles. Even stranger...

Edited by blei

Guest asrequested

That was what you shared. So if that plays correctly, then you've got something else going on. 

So I had a friend of mine remotely access my server + play same episode + enable subs... and he also doesn't get subtitles. I'm not sure what's wrong with our desktops. One similarity is that we both enabled Japanese IME and are both using Windows 10... though I'm not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Regardless, thanks for the help. It's a minor issue in the whole scheme of things, and I'd just have to either somehow convert the external subtitles or just avoid it completely.

The main thing is still the feature request of:

1. Allow the external player to be encased between quotes, e.g. "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe" (to lazily add external players)
  2. The ability to turn on or off subtitles from Emby Theatre/the website.
    • The downside of using external subtitles + external player is that I can't jump around the video (primarily for chapter skip)
  3. The ability to choose to play videos via Emby Theatre, or one of multiple External Players... for the above issue, it is usually better for me to play videos via Emby Theatre instead of my external player. But it'd be very nice to have the ability to choose what player I want to use.
  4. Allow the ability to enable/disable external players... though this may not be so useful with the above feature request.
  5. In addition to the {ms} parameter, can there also be a {sec} parameter? I checked VLC and it doesn't accept {ms}, only {s}.
Edited by blei

Guest asrequested

The common denominator is your server. When direct playing, the server just hands off to the player, and will have no more involvement. If your server is changing the subs to stream.ass, it will fail. MPV needs them to be the same, or it'll ignore it. When you play the file, is it direct playing or direct streaming?

1. Have website subtitle options also available for Emby Theatre... swapping back and forth between the two is not very convenient.

Again I think this is just your perception that the web app setting is actually affecting Emby Theater.

Again I think this is just your perception that the web app setting is actually affecting Emby Theater.

Woops I forgot; that one can be removed.

The common denominator is your server. When direct playing, the server just hands off to the player, and will have no more involvement. If your server is changing the subs to stream.ass, it will fail. MPV needs them to be the same, or it'll ignore it. When you play the file, is it direct playing or direct streaming?

Yeah it's possibly its the server. But that would mean that the Emby server is changing it (so bug with the Linux version of Emby?)

With VLC + logging enabled, it did output this though: (NOTE: I renamed the Stream.ass to [anti-raws]Youjo Shenki - S01E00 [bDRemux].ass)

avcodec debug: trying url: C:\Users\benle\Desktop\mpv\[anti-raws]Youjo Shenki - S01E00 [BDRemux].ass
avcodec debug: CPU flags: 0x000fd3db
avcodec debug: couldn't guess format
vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file
ps warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS stream, continuing anyway
main debug: using demux module "ps"
main error: slave[1] doesn't like DEMUX_GET_TIME -> EOF
main debug: slave 1 EOF
main debug: exiting
main debug: exiting
main debug: no exit handler
main debug: removing all interfaces
main debug: removing module "qt"
main debug: deactivating the playlist
main debug: incoming request - stopping current input
main debug: killing decoder fourcc `dts '
main debug: removing module "avcodec"

So it definitely does look like the Emby server, or my server, is futzing the file somehow.

Anyways maybe this is just an one-off thing that's not really worth investigating any further.

Edited by blei

Guest asrequested

I'm really not sure what is happening with yours, but looking at my log, I see what you're saying about stream.ass

[   0.272][i][cplayer]  (+) Video --vid=1 (h264 1920x1080 23.976fps)
[   0.272][i][cplayer]  (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=jpn (*) (dts 2ch 48000Hz)
[   0.272][i][cplayer]  (+) Subs  --sid=1 --slang=eng (*) '[anti-raws]Youjo Shenki - S01E00 [BDRemux].ass' (ass) (external)
[   0.272][v][cplayer] Set property: aid=1 -> 1
[   0.272][d][cplayer] Run command: sub-add, flags=0, args=[http://10.1.1.15:8096/emby/Videos/2e64d0066f09552e1fe3fdb755d3b457/2e64d0066f09552e1fe3fdb755d3b457/Subtitles/2/0/Stream.ass?api_key=d436970354a24afbb6d59fcbd93d10ce, cached, Und, ]
[   0.272][v][ffmpeg] Opening http://10.1.1.15:8096/emby/Videos/2e64d0066f09552e1fe3fdb755d3b457/2e64d0066f09552e1fe3fdb755d3b457/Subtitles/2/0/Stream.ass?api_key=d436970354a24afbb6d59fcbd93d10ce
[   0.361][v][ffmpeg] Could not set AVOption tls_verify='0'
[   0.361][v][ffmpeg] Mime-type: 'text/x-ssa'
[   0.361][d][ffmpeg] Stream opened successfully.

The only thing that's coming to mind is that somehow your .ass subs are being filtered or blocked. Try muxing them into one of your videos, and see what happens. 

Try renaming the ass subtitle file to include the language code. See if that helps. Thanks.

I've renamed it to .eng.ass before; no dice. The video + enabling external subtitles plays fine on Plex Home Theater. But again I feel like this is just a super weird, potentially just a 1-off issue isolated to my friend and I and/or my server. I've even tried changing ports thinking that maybe CentOS was filtering for some ungodly reason because it was on port 8096 (didn't work).

Thanks for trying to help, though. Really do appreciate the debugging process, even if the cause is still unknown from my end :/

@@Luke any comments on the feature requests though?