No media inside libraries after upgrade from 3.3.1.0 -> 3.4.1.10

mosipd

mosipd

I've been using version 3.3.1.0 for a while now and everything has always worked great. I decided to upgrade to 3.4.1.10 today but I ran into an interesting problem. After upgrading and rebooting, I logged back into the web interface and everything looked good. I selected one of the libraries from the home screen and inside was all the media that's normally there. I went into a TV show and watched an episode. Once finished, I backed out and went to page 2, and that's when all of the media posters disappeared. So i go back to the home screen and now all my libraries are empty, no more media posters.

Now here's the weird bit, I have two libraries without any sub folders and those work fine. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but nothing I do will get the media to show up in my other libraries. I've deleted and re-added them, tried refreshing, tried copying files over and creating a new library, different browsers, clearing cache, rebooting both the Emby server and my workstation. There's some errors in the log files and I've attached them for reference.

Emby is running on a Debian 9 virtual machine and no configuration changes were made, just the upgrade (sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.4.1.10_amd64.deb) and a reboot.

I just want to add I tried downgrading to 3.4.1.0 and the issue is still there. I'm going to attempt to downgrade back to 3.3.1.0 and as a last resort reinstall a copy of debian and give that shot.

embyserver.txt

Edited by mosipd

mosipd

Yeah, it didn't seem to do anything. I let it sit for quite a long time but nothing appeared to show up. Running a scan on the working libraries, the ones without any sub folders, did successfully complete.

I downgraded back to 3.3.1.0 and that seems to be working again. I might try upgrading again and doing some more troubleshooting, but I'll be sure to take a snapshot before hand LOL!

I did see another thread on here (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55111-empty-libraries-after-upgrade/) and I'm having basically the same exact issue as reported by that user.  Not sure what I can really do at this point short of starting from scratch again. With a 40,000 file media library however, I'm inclined to stick with what works even if I'm losing out on functionality. The main reason I moved over from Plex was the amazing IPTV and HDHomeRun support, but it'd be nice to have a working library too :)

mosipd

So everything seems to be working properly back on 3.3.1.0 but I'd really like to upgrade. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate the help!

I've attached the latest log from 3.3.1.0.

embyserver-2.txt

That thread you linked to is unrelated because those users were coming from our legacy install package that used to be hosted on OpenSuse.

You have always installed using the .deb, correct? Or did you originally install with the legacy package as well?

mosipd

The symptoms do appear to be the same, but yeah I've always used the Debian package downloaded directly from the website.

mosipd

So I just upgraded to the new beta version (3.4.1.11) and I think I caught part of the problem in the logs.

After upgrading, I quickly browsed through my libraries and was able to view all the content. But then I noticed that each time I went into a different library it would get smaller and smaller until there was nothing left. Then I look in the log and for some reason Emby started deleting everything. These types of entries are spammed in the logs: 2018-06-05 21:40:40.945 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Series, Name: Pandora's Box, Path: /var/media/Factual/Pandoras Box, Id: a56fc0cf-0ad2-24a1-ab10-59cd5c35593b -- As before, all libraries without sub folders remained functional.

However it gets weirder. This time I figured let me remove all my libraries and essentially start from scratch. I created a test directory and moved one TV series into that directory. I made sure it was owned by emby and had full (777) permissions. I left everything as default except for the path (/var/media/testing) and then scanned for files. Only no library was showing up on the home page, and here's the weird bit. No matter how many new libraries I created, they wouldn't appear on the home screen unless I reused one of the existing library names. For example, I had a library named "Comedy", and unless I typed the library display name exactly like that it wouldn't show up.

Is it possible that something is getting messed up in the main database when upgrading? Because if I downgrade to a pre 3.4 version everything works fine. I've attached the log so you can see the deleted entries I talked about.

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
mosipd

Yep, so far so good, everything seems to be working well with the latest beta version. I did have to change the permissions to get ffmpeg to work, but other than that I haven't come across any issues yet.

Thanks again!