Date in File Name Triggering Multi-Version

KFStein

KFStein

All my home movies have a file name starting with a date string like YYYY-MM-DD. They are also stored in folders for year e.g.:

Videos/Family/2004/2004-02-21 San Diego - Kids Surfing.mp4

Videos/Family/2004/2004-03-17 Saint Patricks Day - Karaoke.mp4

I use this folder structure as the library is (has been) accessed various ways over the years and this (used to) make everyone happy.

What I was alerted to recently is that in some cases when people are browsing using Emby some of the year folders are showing up as a single video file with multiple versions. So instead of clicking on 2004 and getting a new list of the multiple items in that folder, it shows up as a single video file with multiple versions.

Is there any way to stop this Multi-version handling for a library? I can rename the files without the dashes in the date and it operates the way it did before, but hoping there's another way.

Hi, currently the best way would be to rename. We can try to add a better way in the future. Thanks.

Happy2Play

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - " 

Does removing the spacing between the hyphen resolve your issue?

"2004-02-21 San Diego-Kids Surfing.mp4"

KFStein
Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - " 

Does removing the spacing between the hyphen resolve your issue?

"2004-02-21 San Diego-Kids Surfing.mp4"

Not sure as I just wrote a script to rename things and it seems to be fine now except a little harder to read. However, the multi-version issue happened when I had no repeat months in the folder. In the example if I had something like the below it was not an issue, so suspect the spaces are not considered:

Videos/Family/2004/2004-02-22 Something Else.mp4

In the versions drop-down without repeat months it had thing like "02-21 …" and "03-17 …" as the start of the version name.

Happy2Play

Not sure as I just wrote a script to rename things and it seems to be fine now except a little harder to read. However, the multi-version issue happened when I had no repeat months in the folder. In the example if I had something like the below it was not an issue, so suspect the spaces are not considered:

Videos/Family/2004/2004-02-22 Something Else.mp4

In the versions drop-down without repeat months it had thing like "02-21 …" and "03-17 …" as the start of the version name.

Could you test removing the space in the hyphenated name section,  I believe the grouping is from that.  As the quote from wiki mentions above.

San Diego - Kids Surfing

Tested my self and see it is the date format, as you have already mentioned.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Hi, currently the best way would be to rename. We can try to add a better way in the future. Thanks.

Should multi-versioning be applied to Home Videos & Photo libraries?