#21 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

Exactly and that costs us - and you - time because we have to read and respond to all of the questions.  We have similar disclaimers on several options and still spend significant time answering questions and troubleshooting people's problems when they either don't read them or just don't truly understand them.  So we have to be very judicious about adding even more of these types of things.

I do get that, but at which point does "the need" for the feature outweigh the amount of trouble it may cause?

Movies basically work fine, but plenty of shows have 10 season of 20 episodes or so.

That equals 200 episodes that need to have the subtitles changed when they start playing :(

It can always be added as an option disabled by default.

Point is people may activate them, not reading properly and then get on the forums suggesting the features are broken/bugged/glitched and simply not working properly.

#22 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 49794 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 PM

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

That equals 200 episodes that need to have the subtitles changed when they start playing :(

I guess my question is, why don't the default subtitle settings take care of that for you?  How often is it that these selections cannot be governed by these settings?

#23 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Well unfortunately pretty often for me, since none of the current subtitle options is perfect for me.

Discussed it a bit with Luke in a topic, since I thought it wasn't working properly.

I thought "smart" subtitles with English as main subtitle language would be fine for me:

Anime in my library has Japanese audio, and I want the English subtitles activated = working with smart setting.

TV shows & Movies that have foreign parts, need forced subtitles only = working with smart setting, except for when there aren't forced subtitles, but that makes sense to me.

TV shows & movies that have no foreign parts, but are simply English, need no subtitles = not always working, and I see no obvious reason why it picks subtitles

I have then tried simply disabling subtitles as a setting, but that's worse since anime will obviously never be subtitled, even though I always need it subtitled (my Japanese isn't very good yet :D ).

So smart is still the best option, but I have no clue why it sometimes start subtitles at a show, unless it thinks it needs subtitles due to foreign audio.

#24 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 49794 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

So smart is still the best option, but I have no clue why it sometimes start subtitles at a show, unless it thinks it needs subtitles due to foreign audio.

When that happens, is the audio track properly tagged as English?

#25 miniliQuid OFFLINE  

miniliQuid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

Well that is where it get's a little harder for me since I am not 100% sure.

Sometimes I get an audio track where emby picks it up as labeled something (probably) related to the encode/codec types: AAC stereo, something like that.

There will be no English in the audio title as far as emby tells me, yet it does not turn on subtitles (which is fine at that point for me since there is no foreign chatter, so no subs needed).

However sometimes the audio has a random name as well, and it decides to turn the English or Dutch subtitles on, but I guess that might make sense.

Strangest though are the ones that actually state English in the name, yet Emby still decides to turn on any kind of subs it can find :(

Now I guess being properly tagged needs to be on a different level than the naming label?

Could check that sometime when it does something "unexpected" to see if that might be the issue.

I do use MKVtoolnix to sometimes adjust forced/default flags if things are messed up and really not working, or for my own blu-ray rips.

However I do not use it very often (don't do tons of these) so I am not that familiar with what I should look at.

I generally keep things simple, so I am not sure which labels & settings to look at at that point.

#26 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 148690 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

If it's not tagged as English then that would be a problem.

#27 EduardoSantos OFFLINE  

EduardoSantos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 388 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

I understand the subject as "keeping the subtitle selection" from one episode to another.

So, 

- If an external subtitle what has been selected, that selection should be kept to the next episode;

- If an embedded subtitle has been chosen, just keep language selection from that subtitle language to the next episode;

- If an embedded subtitle with no language setting has been selected, just keep the ID from that subtitle;

- If there's two embedded subtitles to that language on the new episode, keep the ID from the first episode;

- If no subtitle from the next episode matches, fall back to the configured subtitle handling.

#28 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 49794 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

I understand the subject as "keeping the subtitle selection" from one episode to another.

So, 

- If an external subtitle what has been selected, that selection should be kept to the next episode;

- If an embedded subtitle has been chosen, just keep language selection from that subtitle language to the next episode;

- If an embedded subtitle with no language setting has been selected, just keep the ID from that subtitle;

- If there's two embedded subtitles to that language on the new episode, keep the ID from the first episode;

- If no subtitle from the next episode matches, fall back to the configured subtitle handling.

Every one of those cases has the potential to choose the wrong (or nonexistent) subtitle in many cases.  So, again, we're back to why isn't the normal automatic handling of this working because that is the most reliable way to accomplish what you want.

#29 EduardoSantos OFFLINE  

EduardoSantos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 388 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

For instance it will not work for me as Emby picks the PT subtitle stream while it should pick the PT-BR. It so happens both are PT.

Same occurs with Spanish and other languages.

It really seems pretty simple to stick to the same stream if it was already selected, it exists and it has the same ID.

#30 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 49794 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:34 AM

It really seems pretty simple to stick to the same stream if it was already selected, it exists and it has the same ID.

The only ID involved is a positional index.  That really is no guarantee of anything from one video to another...  That same index could be anything - even an audio or video track.

So any attempt to do what is asked here would need to be based on track properties (language, forced, etc.) instead.

For instance, allowing you to override your normal default subtitle settings per show.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subtitles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users