Watching Sky on Media Centre (UK)

Heckler

Heckler

There used to be a Sky Player that was built into media centre, but it seems to have been removed these days,

There is still the SKY Go feature of watching it in your browser... Has anyone had any success at finding a plugin for MC or know of a way to get it work within MC.

Apart from getting a second box and running more cables to my bedroom... there seems no way to do this... Which is probably what they want so they can charge you for an extra box.

Heckler

I meant within Media Centre itself... I can't afford to buy anything else, I've just had to buy a new motherboard, ram and CPU and rebuild the server after an accident.

I've installed tunerfreemce again, I tried it once before back in 2010 but it was really buggy and hardly ever worked... Might aswell give it another try for catch up stuff... But that doesn't do the Sky channels.

Macburp

The problem we all have is very few people are creating new things for MCE any more. Mediabrowser is the notable exception! 

If you're able to open a web page within your MCE environment (I can't, I use an extender) you can access NowTV through the web. Not sure if you'd have 10ft control though.

Now TV box can be had for £15 from John Lewis. The Roku / Now TV client is really very good.

Heckler

@@Macburp  I've just taken a look at the now TV box and I'm not sure it will do what I want.

I already have a Sky HD box and subscription... I don't have movies or sports, just the entertainment pack and of course the F1 HD as well as the other standard HD channels.  Sky used to have a player integrated into Media Centre, but dropped it and now just use the Sky Go for mobile platforms... I have no need to sideload MB3 onto it because I already have a dedicated media server, that also has MB client on it, as does the desktop in the office and my Android tablet... There's no reason to have MB3 on it when it's going to be hooked up to the same TV as the media server already is.

From what I read, it only gives you access to the pay channels that you can get on their own from Sky without having to have a subscription already... and that's no good for me. I already pay them a monthly fee and quite a hefty one at that for TV/Phone/broadband... I just want to be able to watch those channels via the media centre as I used to be able to with the Sky Player. I want to be able to watch live TV from Sky channels not just what they deem to let us have on demand like the BBC iplayer... I want both live and on demand as I had before.

It seems crazy that they withdrew this feature when all of the other channels are adding these kinds of capabilities to everything they can.

Edited by Heckler

steelman1991

I'm a bit confused here.

You want to watch the channels that you receive and subscribe (from SKY TV) on MB?

Curious. What benefits does watching through MB bring. Is it merely an integration thing? 

"I want to be able to watch live TV from Sky channels not just what they deem to let us have on demand like the BBC iplayer... I want both live and on demand as I had before."

What other live tv do you want? If you already subscribe then you'll get them - just not on MB platform. If you're looking for a way to circumvent the subscription model, I'm not sure there is one - legally that is.

Heckler

I didn't say in Media Browser... I said within Media Centre.

There was a Sky Player for Media Centre, but sky pulled the plug on it in favour of their Sky Go service which allows you to watch in a browser... Which is useless for a media centre.

They also restricted the number of devices you can use Sky Go on to two... unless you pay them an extra monthly fee to make that 4. They restrict you to changing only one device each month and the devices that are registered often show up as unknown so you have to add them again, thus using up your single allowed change each month.

Oh.. and the Sky Go streaming is very low quality and poor sound, unreliable and constantly crapping out.

I just want what I used to have... not an inferior, poorly implemented, badly supported and utterly useless for media centre product.

Heckler

@@politby   Cheers for that... looks like a lot of work, and expense to get it all up and running... Not sure I'm desperate enough to go through those lengths to get it... Probably be easier to hook up the old Sky+ box I have upstairs instead... and see if they'll waive the extra £10 a month fee

politby

It may look like a lot of work but it really is quite simple. Once you have it set up it works brilliantly and is pretty much rock solid.

I have been using DVBlink for 5 years now in the exact same way as the link describes (not Sky but similar provider).

Believe me it's worth it. You get the full WMC PVR functionality, recordings are saved unencrypted and you can have MBS auto organize recorded shows for you.

The software is cheap, the only real expense is the tuner card if you want a good quality twin tuner.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heckler

I've book marked the link for later... When I've got some spare cash I may look at it again.

My current TV Tuner for Freeview is just a Hauppauge TV Nova USB stick at the moment, and that was something I won in a competition about 3yrs ago and never used.

If I can pick up a decent twin tuner for peanuts on ebay... I'll perhaps give it a shot, I was hoping for a streaming solution as this way means routing new cables from the dish... Luckily I installed a quad receiver when I set it up, so there's 2 free sockets to run the cables.

politby

S2 tuner cards aren't cheap unfortunately. eBay is not a great source because the U. S. is no DVB market to speak of.

Basically you have two choices, Digital-devices.de or tbsdtv.com. for cards known to work well with DVBlink.

Expect to pay 90-150 € for a twin tuner.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heckler

Yeah... the idea is shelved for now... Just can't justify any more expense on stuff for the media server at the moment, and we're looking at £100-150 to get it up and running.

But thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
saajan4u

Your best option would be getting an android mini pc and that way you can use media browser plus sky go app on a central client. They're pretty cheap you could get a quad core one for under £50.. there noway to use it in media centre. . I know its hard to accept it. Wmc is pretty much dying.

used tapatalk on me Samsung S4

• Like 1

Heckler

Cheers @@saajan4u   It's no longer an issue now, I dumped the sky TV altogether and am using my folks account for the sky go on my office PC so I can still watch the F1 races... I also upgraded to fibre optic broadband at the same time... Total saving = £30 a month... Which is enough to buy a chromecast, and I should be able to cast from the office PC to that.  :)

• 3 years later...