Photo
- - - - -

avi files wont play on second machine

avi second machine mbc

Best Answer ebr , 04 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Mapped drives are almost always going to be a problem.  Can you try using the path substitution feature on the server to change that to a UNC path as suggested above?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 preludeinsanity OFFLINE  

preludeinsanity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

HI, First off let me say I love Media Browser. I have a 900 movie collection and this program is awesome. I have used MB2 in the past and have upgraded and used MB3 for the last ~4 months? I even have the android app and have port forwarded it outside of my lan and it works great with the data throttling settings.  I have the MB3 server on the same machine as the movie database, I am using MBC to view the movies in WMC on the server machine. When I load MBC on a second, third, fouth machine I am having issues with playback. I can playback some movies but others simply will not work. My copy of 8 mile is an avi file. I can pull up the folder on the other machines and play the file with windows media player on the remote machines, I can also play the file with windows media center on the remote machines, However, when I open media browser classic in Windows Media Center and scroll to the movie, I press play and I receive an error stating that windows media center can not open the file.  It makes no sense, I can open the file through my computer and open the file with windows media center and everything works fine.   Help please. .. 

I have opened the 8096 port on both computer firewalls, I see all the movie posters and the meta data downloads correctly.

#2 1972 OFFLINE  

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM
  • LocationTilburg, The Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Did you also made a UNC share of the folder containing the avi file? (See here for more details)

• ebr likes this

#3 preludeinsanity OFFLINE  

preludeinsanity

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for the response. Yes the harddrive is the F:. It is shared and everyone has full control, the only folder on the hard drive is the movies folder. It is shared and everyone has full control. I have also mapped the network drive to the other computers. I can pull the movies up on the mapped network drive and tell them to play in windows media center and everything works out correctly. However if I use windows media center to go to media browser and then try to open any movie, I receive an error stating that windows can not open the file.??

#4 preludeinsanity OFFLINE  

preludeinsanity

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

It has to be an issue with media browser classic, as I just tried to install media browser theater and I am able to play any movie with media browser theater, but classic still wont play the movies. I have also added the movie library to the videos media library in windows media center and I can play the movies through the window media center video interface. 

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46932 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 AM

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:29 PM   Best Answer

Mapped drives are almost always going to be a problem.  Can you try using the path substitution feature on the server to change that to a UNC path as suggested above?

#6 preludeinsanity OFFLINE  

preludeinsanity

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Apparently I didnt read the whole article. I already had the folder shared on the network as described in the article so I must have rushed through it and didnt notice the part about adding the shared network path to the library. I added the path substitution on the server dashboard and everything works great. Thank you for your time and response. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: avi, second machine, mbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users