Remove media from library without deleting?

kexxa

kexxa

Hi,

I'm new to Emby; on Version 3.4.1.0

When I try to delete either a media or collection in Emby, it warns "Deleting this item will delete it from both the file system and your media library". Not wanting to delete the file from my NAS, I did not proceed and clicked cancel.

emby.png

In Plex, there's an option that allows for removal without deletion.

plex.png

Is there an option to have Emby remove a media from the library without deleting it the file off the NAS? 

Hi, we don't currently have a way of doing this, but there are numerous techniques at your disposal  to  hide it.

kexxa

Hi, we don't currently have a way of doing this, but there are numerous techniques at your disposal  to  hide it.

I am unable to locate any options in settings to hide them. Would you be so kind as to direct me to these techniques please?

You could use a .ignore file in the folder if the item you want gone is contained within a folder or you could simply move the item to another location on your NAS - outside of any Emby library.

• Like 1

PeteMB

Curently hidding a folder or a media file doesn't work anymore. Only placing a .ignore file in a folder works.

kexxa

Thank you all for the .ignore pointer  :)

Is a way to remove collection(s) that were auto created?

Delete them and then uninstall the auto box set plugin. Why did you install that plugin, were you expecting something else?

kexxa

Delete them and then uninstall the auto box set plugin. Why did you install that plugin, were you expecting something else?

If I attempt to delete the offending collection, I get the message "Deleting this item will delete it from both the file system and your media library." Will deleting the collection also delete the files off my NAS?

I would like to have some collections on display just not some auto created ones like this

Snipaste_2018_05_18_17_53_03.png

It will delete the Collection from your file system but not the items within it.

CBers

I was thinking whether Emby should use a Recycle Bin, so that anything deleted is moved there, instead of straight deletions.

I know other services have Recycle Bins ;)

• Like 3

FrostByte

Maybe the message can be changed a little too.  I know it doesn't delete movies, but it scares the crap out of me whenever I use it because it's kind of vague.  The way it reads it says it deletes the collection, but that can mean movies also depending on the way you read it.

• Like 3

Riggs

Is very handy have the option to delete the file from Emby, but is a good idea (for windows server) that it send the file to the recycle bin, Just for check. The last beta, yesterday (.15) work straight but before that version, it says deleted but the file still in the HDD, seems was fixed in (.15) Now I'm testing the (.16).

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...
ldexterldesign

Hi,

Hope you're well

Thanks for software

This dialog needs rewording:

5b3f8f65a186e_ScreenShot20180705at135338

Playlists and collections don't delete files from the file system

It's misleading because deleting files (e.g. episodes, shows) directly *does* delete them from the file system and uses exactly the same interaction

Regards

Edited by ldexterldesign

Thanks for the feedback. Yes currently it's just a generic confirmation dialog for anything that you delete. I agree we need to adjust the text a little for certain types.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
Cal777

I just deleted a song from my music playlist and it did delete the song from the Nas.  I was lucky enough to have a backup.  Do not delete anything from music playlists unless you want to remove it from the Nas!  This needs to be fixed.

Deathsquirrel

I just deleted a song from my music playlist and it did delete the song from the Nas.  I was lucky enough to have a backup.  Do not delete anything from music playlists unless you want to remove it from the Nas!  This needs to be fixed.

There is a Remove From Playlist option.  Delete is something else, a file deletion.  That's not really a bug and there isn't anything explicitly needing fixed.

Happy2Play

And what exact option did you select?  Looking at items within a Playlist you should have "Delete Media" or "Remove from Playlist", of course there are other unrelated options.

But if you were to go to the menu options for a Playlist and select "Delete" you are deleting that playlist and not the media.

Cal777

A previous post (#14) stated that a playlist item would not be removed from the source, when deleting, and I was clarifying that it did, in fact, remove the playlist item(individual track(s)) from the source, in my case a NAS, using Windows Emby Theater app.  I wanted to provide a clear answer before someone deletes many hours of work.

"Remove from Playlist" does not appear to be located on the Windows ET client, only on the host computer with the server, unless you disable "Allow Media Deletions" in the server settings.  If other people are using your server, make sure they have their own user account with the "AMD" settings disabled, or they will be able to delete your media, from the source.

Correction:  Scroll down for more menu options (Remove Playlist):

5cae3a55c6ee7_EmbyPlaylistoptions.jpg

Edited by Cal777

Remove from playlist is actually there, you just have to scroll down and select it. In TV mode this would mean using the arrow keys to get down there.

We'll need to make that more obvious.

• 4 years later...
danergo

@LukeHow can I delete an item from library without deleting it from the filesystem? My problem is I have 2 items in the library for the same folder.

How can I manage this?

Thank you.

41 minutes ago, danergo said:

@LukeHow can I delete an item from library without deleting it from the filesystem? My problem is I have 2 items in the library for the same folder.

How can I manage this?

Thank you.

Hi, we don't have a way to do this. What could try is removing the folder from your library altogether and see if both of them go away, and then add it back after that.