How to create a .ignore file

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I am trying to exclude a folder from the library scan. I Googled this and searched the forum here and saw and went to the Wiki about this. All is says is to create a .ignore file in the folder I want to exclude. 

This is what I did - I created a new text document in Windows 10 text editor, changed the file extension to .ignore (Windows made me also give it a name, so I named it Emby.ignore) and saved it as that file. However, the folder is still showing up in my library scans.

Is there something I am supposed to place inside the file too? I tried putting .ignore inside the text document as well. 

Is this not working or am I doing it incorrectly?

puithove

I think by giving it the name that you did, it's not being recognized.  I think the full name has to be just ".ignore" - although not straightforward with Windows, it should be possible (might need to do it from the commandline).  "Emby.ignore" is not equal to ".ignore" when something is looking for a specific file name.

Otherwise, according to this, you could also make the folder a hidden folder instead of creating a .ignore file - maybe try that.  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Excluding-files-&-folders

puithove

Yea, just did this for fun.  From the commandline, this works:

rename "New Text Document.txt" ".ignore"

Or you could do it in one step with:

Echo "Ignore me" > .ignore
  • Like 2

Happy2Play

Or name it just like the wiki says.  Little deceiving with the trailing dot.  So when you rename the file and extension you end up with a .ignore file

.ignore.

jasonmcroy

I think by giving it the name that you did, it's not being recognized.  I think the full name has to be just ".ignore" - although not straightforward with Windows, it should be possible (might need to do it from the commandline).  "Emby.ignore" is not equal to ".ignore" when something is looking for a specific file name.

Otherwise, according to this, you could also make the folder a hidden folder instead of creating a .ignore file - maybe try that.  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Excluding-files-&-folders

Thanks. I thought about the hide folder aspect as well (I did read the data in that link) but I need the folder to be seen by another application as well. 

Yea, just did this for fun.  From the commandline, this works:

rename "New Text Document.txt" ".ignore"

Or you could do it in one step with:

Echo "Ignore me" > .ignore

Thanks. That does work. 

It should be just .ignore

Screen capture of mine on Windows 10:

57508ec502ea1_ignorefile.jpg

Thanks. At least I know it can be done! lol I did finally somehow manage to get it to work (outside of doing it via the CL even though that does work too. I had to create a named .ignore file then reopen it and delete the name and it finally let me save it that way. If I tried to create a new text document without naming it and changing the extension to .ignore Windows didn't like that at all.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I finally having it working now! I don't know why it wouldn't let me just save a new document with the extension changed and no file name before. 

Happy2Play

Anyway, thanks everyone, I finally having it working now! I don't know why it wouldn't let me just save a new document with the extension changed and no file name before.

You can as I posted in post 4.  filename ".ignore" extention "."

Edited by Happy2Play

jasonmcroy

You can as I posted in post 4.  filename ".ignore" extention "."

I did see that, however, if you put that as the file name it doesn't work. It has to be a non named file with the extension being .ignore and that was the original issue I was having and why I posted because Windows wasn't letting me create a .ignore file without a name. 

I tried it by naming it .ignore with the file extension being .ignore and the folder would still show up. 

As I said above, I was finally able to force it to create the file with no name and with the .ignore extension and it worked.

jasonmcroy

Ok, glad it works for you, not working for me that way. I just tested it again and putting a name of .ignore on the file makes the folder show up again. 

Koleckai Silvestri

File Explorer (also controls the desktop and the taskbar) can be silly at times. Easiest just to create it from the command line. Press shift, right-click in the window and say "open command prompt here" then create your file. The command echo '' >.ignore is the easiest.

Then if you want to use File Explorer, just copy and paste that file wherever you want it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Pixelpaule

Hey guys,

if i create a .ignore file in a folder would be subfolders also ignored?

Thanks

Edited by Pixelpaule

• 1 year later...

will give that a go, anything with sample in the name being ignored is why I must not have come across this before, this one just happens to be called preview :/

• 3 months later...

Mark it as hidden, however anything with sample in the filename is already ignored.

hi, its not working for me, where is my misstake?

Edited by minos

Happy2Play

This was changed because apparently some TV shows have the word sample in the name.

Could the "sample" ignore be applied to only Movie content?

• 5 years later...
Daniel1966
On 6/2/2016 at 3:29 PM, puithove said:

I love how the help article states "Just mark it Hidden" but proceeds to NOT tell you HOW to mark it hidden.

Brilliant!

7 hours ago, Daniel1966 said:

I love how the help article states "Just mark it Hidden" but proceeds to NOT tell you HOW to mark it hidden.

Brilliant!

Hi, this will be corrected. Thanks.