Modular ffmpeg

simpman

simpman

Every new version of Emby Server comes with a version of ffmpeg and ffprobe and these files are a large portion of the install size. Is it possible to make it modular so that it only updates when necessary? Also it would be a nice to have an option to change the log level of ffmpeg for troubleshooting purposes.

This has created a lot of troubleshooting for us in the past. Providing a consistent version has helped reduce that for us.

Waldonnis

Also it would be a nice to have an option to change the log level of ffmpeg for troubleshooting purposes.

I'm torn on this, personally.  I would love it for helping with troubleshooting hardware transcoding and some oddball situations here and there, but increasing the loglevel can affect ffmpeg performance as well.  If there was a server setting for it and someone left it on trace accidentally, you can bet that they would complain about buffering eventually, not to mention the storage footprint significantly larger logfiles they'd be generating.  On a busy server, toggling it even for a few minutes may cause it to be active for several simultaneous transcoding sessions.  You could limit the max loglevel so something as exhaustively verbose as trace isn't available, but that limits the usefulness at the same time.

The only ways I can see it working is as a toggle in the apps in concert with some type of debug mode (and only available to the admin accounts) such that any transcode initiated includes a parameter in the server request that automatically increases the loglevel for that playback action...or a user setting so you could create a "debugging user" that has increased logging for everything they do (so you'd only sign into that user for testing purposes).  Either way, though, it would be complicated and may not be worth the effort.

On windows you can just replace the executables. On other platforms it's a little more complicated.

I'm ok with their being a way, although I'm not sure it needs to be in the web interface. Just as long as it's possible for you.

otispresley

In Linux, couldn't you just replace the Emby ffmpeg with a symbolic link to the ffmpeg installed on the system?

In theory I suppose. Just keep in mind that as soon as you report a problem, the first thing that we'll ask you to do is switch back. Thanks.