a few quick questions on Emby use.

vl1969

vl1969

Hi everyone.

I have a home server running Proxmox VE 4.5 on ZFS

the server has several ZFS pools where I store my data. i.e. custom user pools not connected to Proxmox except that the main machine hosts the disks. 

I want to create a VM container (LXC) where I will run Emby and other apps.

Proxmox have a number of templates from TurnKey that I can use to create my container(s).

I have tried the turnkey Mediaserver which is a TurnKey fileserver plus Emby. it works for the most part and works nicely but as I tried to setup additional things on it I broke the config and it has issues now so i want to rebuild it.  

in order to manage my existing data and media I bind-mount my  data pools into container like

tank0/share0 ==> mediaserver /mnt/share0

and 

tank1/share1 ==> mediaserver /mnt/share1

so my questions are :

#1. the TKMS has Emby configured that all media folders are in "/srv/storage/ "

like so

@mfs /srv/storage# ls -l
total 7
drwxrwxr-x 2 emby users  2 Jul 18  2017 Movies
drwxrwxr-x 2 emby users  2 Jul 18  2017 Music
drwxrwxr-x 2 emby users  2 Jul 18  2017 Photos
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  79 Jul 18  2017 README.txt
drwxrwxr-x 2 emby users  2 Jul 18  2017 TVShows

"/srv/storage/ " is the default location that is also SAMBA share and WebDav share. standard config for TK fileserver the medisserver is based on. 

now is it possible to move this folders into my storage?

that is I have a bind-mount in /mnt/share1  that has folder media.

I want to locally(within the VM) bind-mount that into "/srv/storage/media" and move all the folders inside.

can I ? and How?

#2. if I want to setup an NZBGet in separate VM and bind-mount the same pools there, how can I setup user NZBGet will use to run so when it downloads something it can be moved into appropriate folder  and Emby will be able to see the new files and use it? 

permissions issue was one of the more difficult issues with this setup so far. the current config, which I moved the folders with mv command and reconfigured Emby to use the new locations,

sees some movies but not one I downloaded with NZBGet or Transmission. it ignores any of my existing pictures and home videos that I copied with cp or rsynk from my local lib. not user how to set permissions on those properly.  

please point me to some how-to and help that will work. 

PS>> I already did the general search on many of the topics here and read the pin on this forum about file/folder permission. I will be setting up new container for test using that info but maybe there is something more I need/want to know. 

PPS>> maybe some one can chime in on the best setup for my needs as well.

I want to have a basic VM server (already setup with Proxmox) that will run some special VMs. 

but main config is a 

1. File Server

2. Emby

3. Transmission for torrents (!! I do not do much torrenting or downloads but good to have when needed )

4. CoachPotato (again not much downloading but want to use that to automate organization of my existing collection)

5. SickRage

6. Lazy Librarian

7 Calibre Server

8. MythTV or what ever to record LiveTV in the future. I do not have the tuner now and it may never come to live but plans are plans.

the question here is how to set all this apps so they will play well together nicely.

should I run each in it's own LXC to which I mount-bind my storage? if yes should I / can I create/clone Emby user to all of this containers and use that to run the services? if yes How?

what are my options here?

thanks Vlad. 

mastrmind11

I have basically the same setup but w/ Docker containers.  Each app runs in its own container, and are mapped internally to my ZFS pools which are shared via NFS.  The biggest challenge was user/group permissioning, and keeping the internal mappings to external pools straight.  So, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, it should be possible.  

vl1969

Oh, I am sure it is possible.

I am currently running this setup but with single lxc container of turnkey media server.

It is both a file server and emby server from the box and I install all othee apps in it.

Problem being I had an issue with emby user login and thought I can create my own user instead. It worked mostly but have some stupid permission issues and my nzbget and couch potato setup is screwup. So I decided to redo the whole thing anew. But asking for a bit of guidance and if running all in each own container is a good idea. I do not use docker and proxmox do not support it easily so loc containers are it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
jscoys

Hello on my side I just have a mounted folder pointing to a share folder from a Windows 10, so I don't think I can help a lot there

SkyBehind

I have basically the same setup but w/ Docker containers.  Each app runs in its own container, and are mapped internally to my ZFS pools which are shared via NFS.  The biggest challenge was user/group permissioning, and keeping the internal mappings to external pools straight.  So, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, it should be possible.  

Same.  MergerFS for a drive pool.  Docker containers for apps, bind mount volumes, bridge network (so I assign a host IP:port to each), GID and UID the same for each container.