FolderSync problems in 3.4.1.0

K22R8CT
Go to solution Solved by K22R8CT,

K22R8CT

My sync jobs no longer populate the "sync folder" I set in the Folder Sync plugin.

Instead they populate the original file's directory, in the case of TV shows, with subfolders for season and episode name.

I thought this might be a setting incompatibility so I recreated a sync job in the new version, making sure to specify the correct sync folder (i.e. not the original file's directory.) This had no effect, the sync'd files were still created in the original file's directory.

Another problem is that unlike v3.3.1.0 and previous which extracted subtitles when sync-ing (creating vtt and srt files in the sync'd directory) v3.4.1.0 does not.

Is anyone having similar problems and if so, have you found a solution?

K22R8CT

I have libraries just for the sync destination folders (one for TV and one for Videos) but other than that I think it's standard:

I have a single sync folder, all my jobs are/were "General Medium" and all files populated:

<Sync Folder>  General-Medium → (TV|Videos)

But yes, the output location has changed slightly, however it should still be underneath the folder that was configured in the plugin.

K22R8CT

Here's a hypothetical example:

• My TV folder is: /Volumes/Download/TV
  • My Sync Folder is: /Volumes/Download/Sync
  • My system automatically downloads new episodes of the show The Circus into: /Volumes/Download/TV/The Circus/
  • I have/had a sync job for The Circus set to General/Medium

With v3.3.1.0:

When a new episode of The Circus was downloaded the sync job would put the converted file into: 

/Volumes/Download/Sync/General-Medium/TV/The Circus/

With v3.4.1.0:

When a new episode of The Circus is downloaded the sync job puts the converted file into:

/Volumes/Download/TV/The Circus/<Season>/<Episode Name>/

Edited by Anon28109

I just tested this right now and it worked as expected. Are you sure you didn't accidentally use the new convert media feature instead?

• My system automatically downloads new episodes of the show The Circus into: /Volumes/Download/TV/The Circus/

Or maybe this file was a download and not a synced file?

K22R8CT

Huh. Initially I didn't use anything. I upgraded unaware of the change and and didn't realize there was a problem until I noticed the new folders in the main directory.

I thought it might be an issue with the download setup so I deleted those folders and re-ran the conversion process, which recreated the just-deleted folders.

Next I thought it might be an incompatibility between the old sync job settings and the new (no more "General Medium for example) so as a test I deleted a sync job and recreated it, specifying the sync folder, Universal Mobile and 4Mbps. I deleted the folders again and re-ran conversion, which again recreated the deleted folders.

This isn't specific to one show or sync job. Every show and sync job where a new file was added since I upgraded to v3.4.1.0 had the converted file placed in the main folder rather than the sync folder.

K22R8CT

I was hoping that with various setups someone else would have this problem. If it's just me the next step is to figure out how my setup differs from working setups.

If it doesn't then it's possible the new version is sensitive to existing data corruption (for example in data.json) in a way the old version wasn't.

K22R8CT

data.json isn't used anymore, just fyi.

Good to know.

What if you create a new sync job?

I tried that. Deleted the old job, created a new job – no difference.

K22R8CT

Thanks but don't go crazy. If it really is just me I'll try a clean/test installation and see if it works.

Are you sure you don't have something like auto-organize or something else moving it after the sync? the log file will reveal where emby server is sending the file.

K22R8CT

What about subtitles? In your tests, say with an mkv with embedded subtitles, does the conversion process produce and mp4 with srt/vtt files like it did in earlier versions?

I updated the subtitle process to only produce one or the other, rather than both. But there should still be at least one subtitle file, unless for whatever reason it was burned in as part of the sync transcoding process.

• Like 1

K22R8CT

Are you sure you don't have something like auto-organize or something else moving it after the sync? the log file will reveal where emby server is sending the file.

I definitely don't have auto-organize or anything like that unless it's a new feature enabled by default. For the time being I reverted to the earlier version so I don't have useful logfiles to give.

K22R8CT

I updated the subtitle process to only produce one or the other, rather than both. But there should still be at least one subtitle file, unless for whatever reason it was burned in as part of the sync transcoding process.

Under what conditions is it burned in as part of the transcoding process?

If the source is a text based subtitle then it shouldn't be, I am just speculating without a log file example.

• Solution
K22R8CT

Alright, folder issue resolved. The problem was for the most part specific to my setup.

Old folder sync put the "TV" and "Videos" folders in Emby -> <quality-level> in the root folder.

New folder sync puts them directly in the root folder.

That would be fine except my main TV folder is also named "TV" and in the root folder. So the sync'd TV shows ended up stored in my main TV library directory.

I appended "Emby" to the root folder path and now it's working as expected.

Thanks for looking into it.