WARING: 3.4.0.0 complete nightmare Version on Debian 9

sleepless

sleepless

Hello,

it's horrible after i upgraded from Version 3.3.xx..

I download the new package, dpkg -i emby.server.... and then nothing working anymore.

The Librabry complete destroyed. No one file are found anymore. The path was shown are in my case "/pool/music" but the server is searching for "/var/lib/emby/root/default/Musik".

My Video and Photo directory are unreachable. It isn't adding the path "/pool/24misc7/Videos" etc. It shows noting anymore, if i entered the "24misc7" Folder.

DLNA Playback crashing now. It's starts, but my Denon says "server disconnected".

I have only install the Version 3.4. 

It's not a Folder Access Issue or sth. like that. Version 3.3. done fine. All is working in this Version.

Why always emby says "Release new Verion" if the Version is a beta or alpha?!!!! PRINT it after the information, that's a beta Version.

I want to have my expenses refunded now. I paid over 100€ for a system, that never can be updated without afraid to clear Bugs and have over weeks a defective Media Server.

DLNA Log:

2018-05-05 13:54:49.441 Info Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will need to be used.
	DeviceDescription:
	FriendlyName:Home Theater
	Manufacturer:Denon
	ManufacturerUrl:http://www.denon.com
	ModelDescription:AV SURROUND RECEIVER
	ModelName:*AVR-X4100W
	ModelNumber:X4100W
	ModelUrl:http://www.denon.com
	SerialNumber:  - deleted from sleepless -
2018-05-05 13:54:49.452 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.4.0.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Unix 4.9.0.6
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 8
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
	   at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamInfo.ToUrl(String baseUrl, String accessToken)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToController.CreatePlaylistItem(BaseItem item, User user, Int64 startPostionTicks, String mediaSourceId, Nullable`1 audioStreamIndex, Nullable`1 subtitleStreamIndex)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToController.<SendPlayCommand>d__32.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.<SendMessageToSession>d__78`1.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.<SendPlayCommand>d__79.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.<GetTaskResult>d__3.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__70.MoveNext()
	System.ArgumentNullException
	   at MediaBrowser.Model.Dlna.StreamInfo.ToUrl(String baseUrl, String accessToken)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToController.CreatePlaylistItem(BaseItem item, User user, Int64 startPostionTicks, String mediaSourceId, Nullable`1 audioStreamIndex, Nullable`1 subtitleStreamIndex)
	   at Emby.Dlna.PlayTo.PlayToController.<SendPlayCommand>d__32.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.<SendMessageToSession>d__78`1.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.<SendPlayCommand>d__79.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.<GetTaskResult>d__3.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__70.MoveNext()
Edited by sleepless

Hi, can you provide a log from 3.3? I'm guessing you probably switched from our legacy install package to our newer one and that is the reason for the problem. Thanks.

• Like 1

ShadowBlade72

Try the following and see if it works for you:

systemctl stop emby-server
ln -s /var/lib/emby-server /var/lib/emby
systemctl start emby-server
  • Like 1

sleepless

Hi, can you provide a log from 3.3? I'm guessing you probably switched from our legacy install package to our newer one and that is the reason for the problem. Thanks.

I don't understand, why should that's a problem? I wrote, what i did: Install it over dpkg -i . that's "overwrite" the old one package.

It's the same way how apt-get upgrade or yum update does.

If this was the wrong way - why was in the Relase Notes not one word to this??

ShadowBlade72

It work's.

I recognize that since this symlink the Server IP shows in the Server-Dashboard again. That was missing since these update. However - the DLNA works now. It uses the detected IP instead of the given IP in the Options. Interesting...

Because this symlink, i think, i have many dead unused files now. It's a big update - i have a looong list for unused packages now... 

And i don't know, what's happening at the next update, because i used now a linked old folder structure.

So i thinking about complete purge emby by complete destroying the Linux Machine and do a fresh install. And the Reason for this 3 hours useless work are lazy Programmers, who do not feel it necessary to teach us about the correct update way.

Because of this, I want to have my expenses refunded now. emby is nice, but every time the same things happening: 3 hours of searching bugs - and 4 hours to get an alternative state. This is my lifetime, that no one paid for me. 7 hours who i can watch 1 Season or something like that. I do the Programmers work and pay for myself? Sorry guys.

I will help - but not pay for my own help!

mastrmind11

considering there are thousands of Emby users, who do not experience these issues you're referring to, perhaps the software isn't entirely at fault. 

TheBrainninja

Try the following and see if it works for you:

systemctl stop emby-server
ln -s /var/lib/emby-server /var/lib/emby
systemctl start emby-server

100% this was my problem also - though my syntax on Linux Mint was reversed, so mine looked like:

ln -s /var/lib/emby/ /var/lib/emby-server

But now it is fixed and working just fine so THANK YOU SO MUCH. I noticed something was wrong because emby started scanning hidden folders (I don't know if this was intended functionality), but then I couldn't fix it after changing permissions and re-scanning...scans kept failing. I totally installed the .deb separately because I didn't want to wait on the old repo.

@@Luke will there be a repo for updates going forward, or will we need to manually install updates from now on? Thanks again for the 3.4.0.0 update, it cleaned up a lot of old grievances!

sleepless

What is about my refund now??!???!?? No answer anymore?

And another fail.

Emby Server Crash complete. Again, and again if i open a Picture Folder wich include very big JPG Files. With very big i mean Panoramas with round about 100MB/jpg and 400MP.

In the Version 3.3. it's working slow, but it's working... Now emby Crash and leave no notice in the log.

the result from service log is only:

May 06 22:49:58 nas emby-server[5683]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0017403 seconds
May 06 22:49:58 nas emby-server[5683]: Info App: All entry points have started
May 06 22:50:38 nas systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
May 06 22:50:38 nas systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 06 22:50:38 nas systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

and the last log lines:

2018-05-06 22:56:49.493 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.54. Time: 2435ms (slow). http://172.16.2.57:8096/dlna/77e8fe0d0f0e44f5a4ca8081ef4e4e33/contentdirectory/events 
2018-05-06 22:56:49.493 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.66. Time: 11357ms (slow). http://172.16.2.57:8096/emby/Users/69cc4eec9491475ca85073c59cf3f623/Items/10042f504f0846ba4c53c26b00c15582 
2018-05-06 22:56:50.095 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.57:8096/emby/Items/56475fbafa783f1eea01a1d9fc281a5c/Images/Primary?maxHeight=420&maxWidth=420&tag=15033a648b2320b8959c94a5affa8e85&quality=90. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.139 Safari/537.36
2018-05-06 22:56:53.228 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.57:8096/dlna/77e8fe0d0f0e44f5a4ca8081ef4e4e33/description.xml. UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible)

So, that's a bug. But not clear, if it's emby or a component wich used from emby.

EDIT:
I recognized, that the service run out of Memory and then crash. The Emby Server have 3GB RAM and 2 GB Swap. Once the SWAP is full it's crashed. Someone any Idea?

Edited by sleepless

Hi.  You purchased your Emby key over a year ago, correct?

We are happy to continue to help you with whatever issues you are having but that is a bit too long for us to refund you.

Thanks.

sleepless

Luke, you have a PM.

And yes, it was over a year ago.

Then i just waiting for a solution now and nothing more.

sleepless

Have someone a idea: Emby crash due a leak of RAM&SWAP if it's trying to make a Thumbnail from a big jpg file... (190MB/file)

Switching between our older install package that updated using apt-get update, and our new .deb based packages is something that wasn't really intended. They are currently not compatible.

The best approach would be a fresh install of the new package, or a rename/symlinks of certain folders based on what this user did:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58777-scan-media-library-failed-on-ubuntu-version-3410/?p=576120

Thanks.

sleepless

Have i done. How i said: I do a fresh install now - including loosing all the meta data  :huh:  .

But the crash is at both install present...

And the way was descripe in the post is the dirty way. That's not a "fresh" install.

On Debian use apt --purge and then install the deb after using apt-autoremove.

But that's for me acceptable, if i can used a Backup. But this function is not present. So it's really annoying, if something is irreversible destroyed after a update.

Luke, i respect you and your work in this community. But i only see your answers in this Linux Sector. So i assume, that's for you a full-time job to support all the users.

I realize that because no real solution is present or a notice, that's somebody looking for that and instruct me about the status.

It's look like just one Person is Supporting the whole Linux Section. And that is the problem, that i have with Emby because i paid for this and must wait too long and live with a broken Media Server, where i can't open a special Folder without crashing the whole Server. I mean, explain that other People, who were happy to find the Power Button on a PC.... called girlfriend or wife or something like this  ;) - They say only "what is that a shit" and i must always explain them "wait 4 it. they working on a patch"... i'm thinking about record this sentence on a tape for her  :D

Sorry for that - but that's not really a argument for emby.

Can i hope for a solution in the few next days?

Thanks

Edited by sleepless

tdiguy

If you are a premium member there is a plugin you can download and use to backup your settings and such, if that is the sort of backup you are talking about.

sleepless

Guys, what's happen? No reaction, ignoring me?

I give the machine maximum RAM: 6GB. And 2 Gb SWAP. 

"htop" says: 14GB VRAM if the Server Scanning library!!!

What's happing there?? It's crashed  by simply scanning the libriary now!!!!!!!

The Server Logs says nothing - how, if the service crashed with memory leak. I can't buy 1TB RAM for this.

I revert to the old Version 3.3...

This Version is  really BETA. Full of Bugs Bugs Bugs.

Please look how the Convert Thumbnail Process is working... 

Edited by sleepless

tdiguy

The Server Logs says nothing - how, if the service crashed with memory leak. I can't buy 1TB RAM for this.

I am no developer or anything but i do suspect there was a issue with 3.4.0 the new stable is already 3.4.1 I dont know much about your issue but it might be worth updating again to see if it helps. 

So you're saying you installed 3.4.1 fresh and it is crashing? If so can we please see the server log and terminal output? thanks.

sleepless

with 3.4.0 the new stable is already 3.4.1

It's the same on 3.4.1., because the handling from creating Thumbnails seems to be a complete new way as in 3.3.xx...

@@Luke

3.4.1 fresh and it is crashing

you're right

please see the server log

Luke - please. The Log's are the same as i send you from Version 3.4.0.

Emby itself works fine for the proccess und linux. It needs only such amount of RAM that's crashed, if the Server havn't the amount of needed RAM.

You can see on yourself - try a folder with normal JPG Files taken from a DSLR with 30MegaPixel. This files have around 6-10MB/file. By creating the Thumbnails for the Folder Overview, the used Ram increased of 1-1,5GB. After the converting Proccess the used RAM returns to normally 300-400MB...

You can imagine what happens, if the Folder Contains Panorama jpg with round about 170MB/file and 450 MegaPixel. In the first try my 5GB commited RAM was was not enough. I increased the commited RAM to 8GB - and the Process using all the 5,5GB RAM and don't Crash.

Then starts the the automated Library Scan and the same thing happening - the RAM was used too much. In this case, it runs and runs around of 7 - 7,5GB ram. The Server was in this case still alive - doing all, what i say. Very Slow , but it do all.

At this moment, where this Scan Process needs more RAM, more as 8GB, the process crashed.

"htop" showed me the proccess - and suddenly the process is dead. Like in Windows Taskmanager - you see the proccess and once is away without one word.

I can start the Server without any issues again.

So explain me - what software is capable of logging a memory leak? No one. Because all procceses working normally for the Software.

You must restrict the consumption of RAM for a working proccess - and this Bug is fixed. 

Try this at home. Debian and google for big jpg. Or i can upload for you the file, wich crashed the emby proccess.

I can not do any more than show you the solution already. You just have to implement it.

schmitty

@@sleepless I noticed your swap size is only 2gb, it should be a minimum of your actual ram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleepless

Not really. A system that needs SWAP is just a) poorly configured B) RAM can not be given or c) a software that is not configured/programmed properly. Everyone who's dealing with MS Exchange knows what I'm talking about ...

The solution is not to increase the commited RAM in the boundless.

@@Luke

What is the status of this?

Edited by sleepless

SkyBehind

It's probably your attitude.  You messed it up by switching install methods (by upgrading dpkg on a ppa install), and demanding a refund on a license bought over a year ago.  Then talking about being paid for the time of your mistake?  I mean c'mon, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

• Like 1

sleepless

It's probably your attitude.  You messed it up by switching install methods (by upgrading dpkg on a ppa install), and demanding a refund on a license bought over a year ago.  Then talking about being paid for the time of your mistake?  I mean c'mon, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

And in which case should this explanation help me with my problem?

How would you react if the next update from Adobe makes your purchased Photoshop unusable?

Wouldn't you contact the support?

And how would you feel about Adobe if the support responds with standard answers or does not react?

So according to your statement, you think of yourself as the problem and not the overwhelmed support of Adobe ...

So again the question: in which case should this explanation help me with my problem?