"Scan media library failed" on ubuntu Version 3.4.1.0

chudak

chudak

After installing Version 3.4.1.0 my emby server simply won't scan/add new videos to libraries, err:

"Scan media library failed.
a minute ago
Could not find a part of the path '/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/Movies'."

Any clues how to fix it ?

Thx

Can you please attach the emby server log? Did you try to switch between our legacy install package and our new one?

chudak

See log attached

Are you suggesting to downgrade?   I don't even know how to do so.

Pls elaborate how to get old version and what steps to take to install it.

Did you try to switch between our legacy install package and our new one? 

chudak

No

How can this be done?

Pls elaborate how to get old version and what steps to take to install it.

chali

Getting the same scan error on ubuntu.(cant find path)  tried to add the folders again, doesn't help, but the folders that not being scanned works?

this behavior started on 3.4..0.0 and is still there on 3.4.1.0

i used the manually install since my ubuntu didn't get the update from update manager. (maybe that is making the problem?)

//Regards 

chudak

Getting the same scan error on ubuntu.(cant find path)  tried to add the folders again, doesn't help, but the folders that not being scanned works?

this behavior started on 3.4..0.0 and is still there on 3.4.1.0

i used the manually install since my ubuntu didn't get the update from update manager. (maybe that is making the problem?)

//Regards 

scanned folders seem working fine.

Well now that you've already done it, one thing you could try if you have a small library is removing a library from library setup, letting the scan run, and then after that, adding it back.

chudak

In addition I don't see a way to save selections via Manage Folder windows, e.g. select library, open Manage Folder, select Enable real time monitoring, close window.

Open again to confirm => selection is not saved.

trifleneurotic

Hey Chudak-

FWIW - I got the exact same original error you were getting after I removed the deprecated repo v3.3 and installed the active RPM v3.4.

The key for me was to do four things:

1. Rename /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby.

2. Remove 3.3 completely then install 3.4 from the RPM.

3. Change the owner of all my media folders to emby.

4. Remove each library then re-add it.

Now, note: When I hit OK after adding my new library with my existing folders, it usually gave me an error that said it had some problem adding the library. However....

The library is there.

Just back out to the main Library screen and hit Refresh. You'll notice your newly added library. Then run a full library scan. Mine is just about done but it seems to be doing good so far in that I won't have to manually modify things that I had painstakingly modified. God bless the Backup plugin!

Regarding selection saving, you may want to try doing that after you run a full, complete and successful library scan. You won't see an OK/Save button at the bottom in the dialog but it saves the settings for me now after I back out of it when that library's scan was complete.

-gabe

UPDATE: Scan is complete and things are looking better than I thought. Only thing I am noticing so far is that the metadata changes I made (custom photos, character name corrections, etc.) didn't stick. But that doesn't have me too worried. I'll just handle those as they come up on a case-by-case basis. Custom artwork (like logos)  and themes are still there.

Edited by landgazr

In addition I don't see a way to save selections via Manage Folder windows, e.g. select library, open Manage Folder, select Enable real time monitoring, close window.

Open again to confirm => selection is not saved.

You just check the box and click the back arrow. That will save it.

chudak

Hi gabe

Thanks for the report.

Wow it sounds like a lot of hops to jump over and like  a bug in the latest releases.

Wonder if we are getting a new update soon?!

BTW I have no  /var/lib/emby-server/ dir mine is already /var/lib/emby/

Hi gabe

Thanks for the report.

Wow it sounds like a lot of hops to jump over and like  a bug in the latest releases.

Wonder if we are getting a new update soon?!

BTW I have no  /var/lib/emby-server/ dir mine is already /var/lib/emby/

The issue is that it was not intended that users would switch between our legacy install package and our newer one, and that essentially you would just stay on one or the other permanently.

chudak

You just check the box and click the back arrow. That will save it.

That as I understand it *should* work as how it used to work before Version 3.4.x.x. Not anymore for me...

chudak

The issue is that it was not intended that users would switch between our legacy install package and our newer one, and that essentially you would just stay on one or the other permanently.

You keep saying "switch between our legacy install package and our newer one" and I keep asking - please elaborate!!!

I saw a message in emby server to update my server to Version 3.4.1.0 and I followed the steps to do so.

What are you talking about ?

trifleneurotic

Hi chudak-

From my understanding:

The old "legacy" way: Add download repo (hosted at openSUSE I think?) and install via your package manager (dnf/yum, apt, zypper, etc.). Details here.

The new "supported" way: Directly download release RPM/DEB from GitHub and install that, using RPM/DEB upgrade functionality to update emby in the future.

Luke, I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand why users would stick to the "legacy" way permanently when it is essentially deprecated and won't be updated as often. In other words, you are requiring people to switch to the "new" way for updates, and it essentially has been forced upon them. That is how progress goes sometimes and I get that, but it seems the ride is rather bumpy right now. Maybe a notice on your blog could have smoothed this out a little by warning people in the interface up front?

-gabe

Edited by landgazr

chudak

Hi chudak-

From my understanding:

The old "legacy" way: Add download repo (hosted at openSUSE I think?) and install via your package manager (dnf/yum, apt, zypper, etc.). Details here.

The new "supported" way: Directly download release RPM/DEB from GitHub and install that, using RPM/DEB upgrade functionality to update emby in the future.

Luke, I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand why users would stick to the "legacy" way permanently when it is essentially deprecated and won't be updated as often. In other words, you are requiring people to switch to the "new" way for updates, and it essentially has been forced upon them. That is how progress goes sometimes and I get that, but it seems the ride is rather bumpy right now. Maybe a notice on your blog could have smoothed this out a little by warning people in the interface up front?

-gabe

If this is what you say it is, then users are to be warned about that somehow.  And or there need to be upgrade path provided to go from legacy to a new way of life.

Anyway, what do users like me do now?  Remove old and install new app ?

Thx for helping !

trifleneurotic

Hi chudak-

No problem. Happy to help!

Personally, I'd want to defer to Luke on where to go from here, but I just wanted to tell you what worked for me.

In particular, make sure you follow backup instructions here and then, after removing Emby via your package manager, be sure to completely remove the emby-server service (description here). Then install the RPM/DEB and do the "library shuffle" :D

-gabe

chudak

Hi -gabe

Agreed, will wait for Luke's suggestions ...

Update - I was itching so removed and reinstalled emby, it seems fine now.

Underlining issues still be interesting to address, can't believe I am the only one ran to it

Edited by chudak

maxxoverclocker

Hi chudak-

From my understanding:

-gabe

I'd agree here. I saw the update notice, but didn't see the update available from my package manager, so I manually updated following the steps listed on https://emby.media/linux-server.html Was none the wiser that there were issues with the update until I noticed missing images, unable to access via https (ssl cert missing after update), etc... Had to roll back my VM to a nightly snapshot and revert all my media metadata from snapshots. If I hadn't had those... Yikes. A notice regarding the deprecated package manager update process would be lovely!

tdiguy

Hi -gabe

Agreed, will wait for Luke's suggestions ...

Update - I was itching so removed and reinstalled emby, it seems fine now.

Underlining issues still be interesting to address, can't believe I am the only one ran to it

If you are on 3.4.1 you are not on the legacy install.