Unable to connect to Emby Server outside of my home network

Crestj

Crestj

Referred to in this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56784-emby-stops-responding-to-connections-every-couple-days/

If I am at home on the wifi I can connect to my Emby server through the Android App.

If I turn off the Wifi and use 4G the app refuses to connect.

I just get the "Select Server" screen, I select my server to connect to and it returns:

"We're unable to connect to the selected server right now"

If I try to connect to the server using chrome (on android) it gives me the Emby user login page but returns the same error when I try and login.

Crestj

If I add a server IP and port to the emby android app I get Connection Failure.

If I connect from Firefox to my external IP and port to the web console I can connect and login. (this is from my work PC in London using a proxy in Germany connecting to my home PC in Colchester)

canyouseeme shows Success: I can see your service on xxxxx

If I try and connect in the android app using Emby Connect I get the same Connection Failure.

All internal connection are fine from all apps.

EDIT: I can also access my Emby from http://app.emby.media/home.html

I assume this connects remotely but could be wrong.

Edited by Crestj

Crestj

Just checked again this morning and it's currently working.

Not sure if the server update to 3.4.1.0 had any fixes for this.

Will keeps testing.

• 2 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I've had this issue the past week.  I've been trying to connect to my Emby server at home while at work.  I'm using Emby for Android v3.8.34 on my Pixel phone.

When I open the app it brings up my server list (I have two Emby Servers).  When I try to connect it just spins for a while and tells me it can't connect.  If I log in using EmbyConnect I have the exact same result.

I've trying using Verizon data, as well as connected to my work WiFi and I've had the same result.

CBers

@@Dizzy49 Have you totally uninstalled the app from your phone and re-installed?

Also, not sure about that version number, as I'm on beta and the latest version is only v2.9.92.

Which version of Emby Server are you running?

Crestj

Is it possible to tell if your Emby Client on Android is using HTTP or HTTPS?

• 1 year later...
homelabsol

Im having similar issue and posted on different post. However, it seems your suppot dont want to help me. I'm waiting for an update from your support, hiwever i think it wont gonna happen at all. Kindly improve your support matrix even if this is a community.

Im having similar issue and posted on different post. However, it seems your suppot dont want to help me. I'm waiting for an update from your support, hiwever i think it wont gonna happen at all. Kindly improve your support matrix even if this is a community.

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85735-unable-to-connect-to-emby-server-using-android-and-ios-devices/?view=getlastpost

• 2 weeks later...
grimleaper1709

Moved from PLEX to EMBY about a month ago and have been over the moon about the Quality of the player, the in network apps (Win, Android and embyConnect for kodi) and the ability to manage meta data.

Bought Emby Premiere within one day and cancelled Plex Pass same day.

Seems I may have been premature in stopping my PLEX Pass.

Remote access to my Emby Server is a no go.

With Plex I originally used DDNS.net to access the server, but stopped since my whole library were converted to HEVC mkv files which no browser supports.

Moved to port forwarding and the remote access ability of Plex and all was good (Had a fibre connection and static 10 class ip for Server)

Changed to a 5G modem/Router for the speed but also got Carrier Grade NAT with that, so non routable IP.

overcame that by installing ZeroTier on server and all remote clients (Phones, tablets etc) worked great.

Now switching to Emby , assumed everything would still be fine. The Server is still the same, the libraries are all the same, everything on the LAN works great but remote access through ZeroTier refuses.

Know this is not a ZeroTier issue as the Plex server which I fortunately didn't kill still works on the zeroTier tunnel to all the clients.

Emby for Android and EmbyCon refuses to connect even though for all intents and purposed it is now on a LAN via the ZeroTier tunnel

Is there something in the way Emby connects that would let it allow LAN clients to connect (same local subnet) but prevent it from allowing clients in the ZeroTier tunnel to connect? when Plex and Kodi are fine on that same Tunnel.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with secure connections and certificates.

Edited by grimleaper1709

Moved from PLEX to EMBY about a month ago and have been over the moon about the Quality of the player, the in network apps (Win, Android and embyConnect for kodi) and the ability to manage meta data.

Bought Emby Premiere within one day and cancelled Plex Pass same day.

Seems I may have been premature in stopping my PLEX Pass.

Remote access to my Emby Server is a no go.

With Plex I originally used DDNS.net to access the server, but stopped since my whole library were converted to HEVC mkv files which no browser supports.

Moved to port forwarding and the remote access ability of Plex and all was good (Had a fibre connection and static 10 class ip for Server)

Changed to a 5G modem/Router for the speed but also got Carrier Grade NAT with that, so non routable IP.

overcame that by installing ZeroTier on server and all remote clients (Phones, tablets etc) worked great.

Now switching to Emby , assumed everything would still be fine. The Server is still the same, the libraries are all the same, everything on the LAN works great but remote access through ZeroTier refuses.

Know this is not a ZeroTier issue as the Plex server which I fortunately didn't kill still works on the zeroTier tunnel to all the clients.

Emby for Android and EmbyCon refuses to connect even though for all intents and purposed it is now on a LAN via the ZeroTier tunnel

Is there something in the way Emby connects that would let it allow LAN clients to connect (same local subnet) but prevent it from allowing clients in the ZeroTier tunnel to connect? when Plex and Kodi are fine on that same Tunnel.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with secure connections and certificates.

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86451-cannot-connect-with-android-app